Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/24/2009  (Read 20012 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/24/2009
« on: September 24, 2009, 02:14:28 PM »
The Price is Right - Sept. 24, 2009
Production #4834K - Taped June 23, 2009

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: left to right
Handoff: Lanisha

Models of the Day: Manuela Arbeláez, Lanisha Cole and Rachel Reynolds
Wearing: Scala

1   Golden West Billiards Table (M&R)
BRADLEY 1265 NISHANI *1750 GRANT 1266 VIRGINA 1500 ($2400)

Nishani from Toronto, ON plays SWITCH?

I2 Personal Transporter (R)$5395$5395
(Samsung) 58" Plasma HDTV/(Pioneer) Blu-Ray DVD Player (L)$4145SWITCH!$4145LOSS

...and with great care, Ms. Reynolds performed the switchoff whilst maneuvering her little I2.

2   Ivanko Chrome Dumbbells (L)
+Bradley *751 ANDREW 700 +Grant 750 +Virginia 2000 ($1390)

Bradley plays STACK THE DECK for a Honda Civic LX (Std.,AT, Mats)(M)

Setup:   2 9 1 4 7 3 8

Package Opener$7.98$7.98*(3) 3
Capzasin HP
Nesquik Chocolate Milk (1l)1.691.69*(4) 7
(Life Savers) Hard Candy (bag)
(Aveeno) Face Cleanser
Wink Hair Clog Blaster6.996.99*(5) 2
PICKS:$18,372
PRICE:$18,372WIN!

3   Flexsteel Temecula Sofa (R-aboard "Chugs")
MARTHA 3500 Andrew 1100 +Craig *1200 +Virginia 2300 ($1801)

Craig plays SQUEEZE PLAY for a trip to Madrid (6n)(M)

Setu-p:8 1 5 9 3
Pick:$ 8 1 5 3
Price:$ 8 1 5 3   WIN!

SHOWDOWN #1
$2,400Nishani40 + 30.70
9,954Craig55 + 20.75Through to Showcase Round
19,762Bradley10 + 30.40

4   trampolinejumpers.com Olympus Pro Trampoline (M)
Martha 1350 Andrew 1 CHRISTIAN 1600 +Virginia *1601 ($1995)

Virginia, the last of the "First Four" plays BONUS GAME for an Ashley San Marquessa DIning Group and Noritake Aegean Mist Dinnerware/Paris Stemware (L)($5201)

(Cooks) Breakfast Center$125HIGHER150*[N O]
TPiR 2010 Video Game (Wii)28HIGHER40*[N O]
Cast Iron Baking Dish23HIGHER38*[BONUS]
Libman Wonder Mop20LOWER10*[N O]   WIN!

5   Behringer Eurogrand Digital Baby Grand Piano (R)
Martha 3500 Andrew 2501 Christian *1 DONNA 2300 ($1999)

Christian plays COVER UP for a Honda Fit (Std., 5 spd., Stereo, Seat, AC, Tray)(L)

Setup    7 1st Try [1][5] 3  2  9
2 4 2nd Try [1][5][6][5] 0
0 1 1 3rd Try [1][5][6][5] 1   LOSS
1 6 5 0
1 5 1 6 8
  3 0 3 8 9
$2 8 2 9 5

6   David Yearman Blue Topaz Teardrop Enhancer Pendant (M-in the Row)
Martha *1700 Andrew 1100 RICHARD 950 Donna 2500 ($2120)

Martha plays BONKERS! for a Beachcomber Hot Tub (R)($8694)

4 8 5 7 Time
1.L H H L:22
2.H H H H:13
3.H L H L:05WIN!

SHOWDOWN #2
$1,999Christian35 + 90OV
7,438Virginia55 stay.55
10,814Martha80 stay.80Through to Showcase Round

SHOWCASE ROUND
Martha has the honor.

SC1-Craig Lancombe Makeup/Gucci Women's Accessories (R)
Luxury Trip to New York City (6n @ Meila)
BID$19,500
PRICE20,117
DIFF–617
TOTAL$30,071
SC2-Martha Ashley Cross Island Bedroom Group
Strobel Supplepedic Sleep Set (L)
Whitecraft San Miguel Outdoor Living Room Group (M)
Trip to Sydney, AUS (6n)(R)
BID$21,200
PRICE24,655
DIFF–3,255

Today's Pricing Games: 4 for 6
Total Winnings: $72,484

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/24/2009
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 02:23:04 PM »
Extremely solid show today with a great lineup, good hosting, and good contestants.

Switch was made interesting with Rachel on the Segway knockoff - good on the crew to make a typically boring game very interesting without overdoing it.

They added a backdrop to the game side of the turntable - made Squeeze Play/Cover Up/Bonus Game stand out more than being engulfed in blue.

Speaking of - BONUS GAME!  And amazing directorial work by Rich DiPirro - great camera positioning (and it really shows the depth of the new home base area).

Showcases were the only lacking part - the NYC trip drug on and on and on and on and on...lots of talking and lots of stuff for only $20K of prizes.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 02:32:05 PM »
It was good to see a veteran like Bonus Game still on the show. It makes me feel better about the new season, with all the changes that have taken place.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline 3StrikesFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 02:44:43 PM »
I'm glad they put a different backing wall on the game side of the turntable. It might look a little busy, depending on what game is there, but it looks better than the ordinary blue wall that was seen on Monday and Tuesday's shows.

I'm assuming the backing is removable because the design would not even be seen when larger games that take up almost all of the turntable (Check Game, Switcheroo, Spelling Bee, etc.) are played.

I have a feeling if Bradley did not choose the last number as one of his freebies in Stack The Deck, he would have lost. I figured the 9 was the last number. The 2 didn't seem to fit.

Bonus Game popping up this soon into the new season is a surprise.

I'm surprised that Craig bid so well with the prizes he was offered in his showcase. The prices on all those items could have been so high or low that, for me at least, it would have been difficult to come up with a good bid.

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 02:58:29 PM »
The "switch " in Switch was really pretty cool!  I don't know if it was scripted that way, or if Rachel just did it on her own.  Either way, it was pretty neat to see her ride across the stage like that!!

I don't want to hear any grousing about that trip to New York City - it sounds like it would be a blast!  Who wouldn't want to go to NYC, get limo treatment for a week, plus 5 Star dinners and Broadway shows?  It was a nice package for the Showcase!

I have a small burr under my saddle about Drew's description of Squeeze Play.  I wish (WISH) he would do a little more to emphasize "when you remove one of these numbers, the remaining numbers will squeeze together".  He sort-of did it today, but most of the time, he breezes past the "squeeze" aspect.  Without it, the game just loses a little something, in my opinion.

Cover-up was begging to be lost today.  The first two digits were no-brainers, which reduced the likely number of chances Christian got to guess the remaining three digits.  Even using our one-then-the-other strategy, it would have been a total crapshoot.

Overall, it was nice to see that the games weren't set up to be wipeouts.  With the exception of the "5", Bonkers was "with the odds" on every number (although Martha tried to lose by looking to the crowd).  The GPs in Bonus Game were easy, as were the ones in Stack the Deck.

Drew must have been listening to us, or he's been practicing, because his hosting has been much better...so far.  The showcases have been normal, and the games have been well-mixed and fun to watch.  I hope it continues...
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Online GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 03:03:46 PM »
Drew seemed a little lost in Bonus Game today.  Speaking of the turntable background, I think we'll be seeing a change in that soon based on the recent promos I've seen with Drew talking to Wayne about Let's Make a Deal.  Also, I think there's a video on PriceIsRight.com that shows they painted more squares on the game side though not as small as they were last season.

The actual retail price is...

Offline REDHEADVICKI

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 03:08:58 PM »
 :-) Nice to see Bonus Game back. Overall, good show today.  :-)
Hopefully, we'll see more of the "Classic Games" in rotation.   :P

Have a great afternoon all!

Vicki

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 03:24:12 PM »
Solid show today, indeed.  Great Stack the Deck win, perfect directing by Rich during the Bonus Game segment, and a Bonus Game exacta.

Nobody was going to win Cover Up today.  Using a palindromic car price was pure evil.  I use prices like that all the time in my Play Along games, so when I say that a price is evil, you can trust me on that.

I'm getting really sick and tired of seeing these one- or two-prize showcases that contain random overpriced trips.

My showcase bids:
New York--$15,107
Room/dustbowl--$24,107
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline godard

• In the Audience
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 03:38:18 PM »
Kind of sad that Martha had "Bonkers" written on her shirt, yet she still didn't know how to play the game. But she got lucky, and should enjoy her hot tub.

Another solid show with a nice new set.

Will they ever get rid of those dowdy curtains behind the set though?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 03:48:32 PM »
Even moreso than yesterday's, this episode seemed to have the hell edited out of it.  It was especially noticeable during the Showcase...which, funnily enough, lead to Drew doing the first reveal Bob's way.

Drew's explanation of "we wanted to get to the come on downs quicker" for why they changed the opening obviously isn't the entire truth, because those are going much faster, too.  It's almost like they just want to get the opening over with...which is a shame, since it's such a powerful introduction to the show.

Call me crazy, but I got a kick out of Rachel riding her Segway across the stage during Switch?.

Bonkers was not played well.  Martha took a ton of time to make a small number of mostly bad guesses.

The Showcase seems to have reached a middle ground...it's not as good as it used to be, but it hasn't been feeling like the complete farce it had turned into for most of last season.

That said...they can dress their "ultimate trips" up as much as they want, but the first showcase still only had two prizes in it.

Given what we've been hearing about things like Train Depot and Port o' Price, I was pleasantly surprised to see the Train in the third Item up for Bids.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline katrinka_ohio

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 03:53:10 PM »
Perfect play in Stack the Deck, great win on Bonkers and we got to see Rich's notebook with the jib (?) shot just before the second wheel spin.  Great show!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 03:56:36 PM by katrinka_ohio »
Go fellow Buckeye Drew!

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 04:04:23 PM »
Switch?: Seeing Rachel ride on the scooter instead of walking to the other prize was cool!

Stack the Deck: It doesn't get any better than this!

Squeeze Play: Good call taking out the 5.

Bonus Game: I love seeing perfect playings of Bonus Game, and this one was well done!

Cover Up: How the hell was that lost???

Bonkers: 25 seconds is way too long to make only three guesses.

Showcases: I was surprised that the New York Showcase was won.

Overall, another solid performance, and it's already getting better and better in the still-young Season 38 (now in its fourth day).

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 04:14:45 PM »
Quote from: SteveGavazzi
Drew's explanation of "we wanted to get to the come on downs quicker"...isn't the entire truth, because those are going much faster, too.
I noticed today that one thing they're doing different is that they're not waiting for one contestant to reach the Row before calling the next contestant.  It was weird today because Nishana beat Bradley to the front even though he was called first - she was in Row #1, and he was way in the back.

Call me crazy, but I got a kick out of Rachel riding her Segway across the stage during Switch?.
You're crazy.  Sorry - it's not often we get permission to insult you!!    8-) 
(I actually agree with you on the Segway switch!!)

That said...they can dress their "ultimate trips" up as much as they want, but the first showcase still only had two prizes in it.
It depends on how you look at it.  Yes, it was just a trip to NYC - with three 5-Star Restaurants, three Broadway shows, and a limo for a week?  If that's only ONE PRIZE, it's a very nice prize.  I've got no problems with it if they present it like they did today.  That showcase didn't seem cheap or lacking.
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 04:15:35 PM »
This week has been improving a lot and with that said today's show was awesome. I enjoyed how Switch? was handled with Rachel on the I2, even though the game was lost. Stack the Deck had a tricky setup for the car's price but Bradley did a great job.

I absolutely LOVED the angle from where Bonus Game spun on the turntable! Another great shot by Dipirro!

Christian did his best in Cover Up; I didn't think it would be a palindrome price either.

I also thought SC2 was going to be won since those luxury trips could be anything. I wonder what Craig is going to do with those Gucci accessories.

Can't wait until Friday of premiere week!

Offline joeyboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 04:29:35 PM »
Switch?: that “switch” just made that whole segment.

Stack the Deck: That split screen is just too awesome. I like that he started running over to the car before Drew told him too (which I wish he hadn’t).

One-Bid #3: Chugs!

Squeeze Play: Too me, Squeeze Play looks kind of out of place up on the new turntable. Nonetheless, great win!

Bonus Game: Already? (Not that I’m complaining!  :biggrin:) And we got a perfect playing of it too as well.  :biggrin:

Incidently, this is the first time since season 17 that Bonus Game was played in the premiere week.  :-)

Cover Up: That was tough.  :-?

Bonkers: Even though we got a win, that was not the way to play this game.

Showcase #1: As nice as that trip to NYC was, with all the extras and everything, these two prize showcases are still kinda empty.

Showcase #2: That’s a nice looking showcase.

Solid show today! No wipeouts or evil setups, and another 4-win day.