Author Topic: Odd Product Pairings  (Read 11059 times)

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
Odd Product Pairings
« on: May 14, 2006, 01:28:33 PM »
In the past week, we have seen examples of Items Up for Bid, paired with promotional items in what would seem to be odd pairings.  For example:

A gumball machine, where the winner receives a supply of denture adhesive.

A mini-bike, where the winner receives a supply of aspirin.

I have 3 questions for the group:
1.  Do you think these were intentional?  Are the producers having a little fun with us?  (I guess this should really count as 2 questions...)
2.  Can you think of odd pairings from shows past?
3.  Can you think of other odd matches for prizes and promotional tie-ins?
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Odd Product Pairings
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 02:11:56 PM »
There's a picture on Tony's site (tpir.tv) that shows a supply of eye drops being the promotional item to go along with a bar set.  It made the models really crack up :D

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 02:46:48 PM »
I remember a Sailboat being the IUFB and the winner received that and a supply of Preparation H :-o .

So funny!!

Offline strongbad

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 03:51:42 PM »
There's another one on tpir.tv of a barbeque set being offered, and then tied to it a supply of heartburn medication!

Offline TPIR-Fan-9109

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 04:07:44 PM »
Well, it could be intentional:

-denture adhesive so the gum won't pull out your dentures
-aspirin if you hurt yourself on the mini-bike
-eyedrops to make sure your eyes aren't irritated when you enjoy a drink
-Preparation H for comfort on the sailboat (if you have issues that would warrant the use of it)
-heartburn medication so you can fully enjoy anything and everything that's on the grill without worry

Or, maybe they're trying to be funny. Who knows?

P.S. When Rod was describing the heartburn medication, he was trying not to laugh (for obvious reasons)

Offline JayG

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 04:49:33 PM »
One I remember from S28 or 29 was a drum kit with a supply of aspirin.  Rod, in particular, found that one rather humorous.

I had always assumed that was intentional.  Nothing wrong with a little sense of humor in setting up the show!

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 06:37:22 PM »
There was also drain opener with a kayak on the same episode as the gumball machine and bike :-P

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 02:00:30 AM »
And, of course, in recent weeks we've had:

Hearing aid batteries with a drum kit.
Cat litter with picnic equipment.
Capsazin with a treadmill.
Aspirin with an offroad motorcycle (again).
Drain opener with a kayak (again).

I don't know if it's intention or not, but it sure is funny!  :lol:
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.

Offline OneDollarBob

• In the Audience
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 10:12:04 AM »
I know this isn't as strategic, it's more just random, but a couple months ago the models wheeled out a luggage set and one of them unzips one of the compartments and out pops the Rinaldi Bros red sauce.  It was just really strange and I had to rewind it several times (and the more you re-view something like this, the funnier it gets).  I guess since they didn't use the clamshell where there are better places to hide the promo products, the luggage itself was the smoothest way to conceal it--but, still, jar sauce inside of a piece of luggage??  Very bizarre.

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 11:29:12 AM »

jjc92787 wrote:
There's a picture on Tony's site (tpir.tv) that shows a supply of eye drops being the promotional item to go along with a bar set.  It made the models really crack up :D

I remember that clip. But I thought that the models were cracking up because that particular eye drop had a name that sounded awfully close to "Urine" (which might not be an odd pairing, but an odd product nonetheless!).

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 12:17:56 PM »
There was actually one pairing a few months ago that Bob made a reply about. It was a sofa paired with some sort of flea control. Bob stood there for a second and asked if the staff was trying to imply that the sofa had fleas.
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline Hallstrom77

• In the Audience
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 01:41:59 PM »
I remember the incident with the fleas. I think somewhere in the show a spot was done for homeless dogs from a local shelter. Bob stopped for a split second and thought about the couch and made the remark about the fleas. I thought it was very funny.

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 03:33:42 AM »
Ahhh, yes, forgot to list that one... It was maybe six weeks ago, and Bob said "Hold on. Did we imply there are fleas in the sofas that we give away? We need to be careful about that!"  :lol:

First week of April (just before the reruns), if I am not mistaken...
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.