Author Topic: Big Doors and Showcase Contestants  (Read 7536 times)

Offline barkerbox

• In the Audience
Big Doors and Showcase Contestants
« on: September 25, 2009, 07:59:32 PM »
Based on the position and angle of "home base", it appears that it would be impossible for the contestants in the showcase to see Door #1 or Door #2 from their position.  How can they bid on the prizes if they can't even see them?  I guess they could look at them on a monitor, but that hardly seems sufficient.  Someone please educate me...

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Big Doors and Showcase Contestants
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 08:11:50 PM »
For years they have been placing a monitor in front of the turntable for this reason.

Offline penny_ante

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Old Penny board c 1982
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 08:42:08 PM »
For years they have been placing a monitor in front of the turntable for this reason.

Even before home base was redesigned, it was impossible for Showcase contestants to see much of what's inside the doors because of all of the cameras in the way. Stagehands place the monitor near the turntable whenever someone's up there, bidding on a prize.

The monitor is a snazzy large screen plasma/LCD now. The old CRT-in-a-box thing is dwarfed by the new one.
Penny Ante
1979-2002
RIP, Old Friend

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 09:23:23 PM »
The monitor is a snazzy large screen plasma/LCD now. The old CRT-in-a-box thing is dwarfed by the new one.

Has it been seen on the air?  Any way we could get a screencap?

EDIT:  Or do they use one of the trip screens now?
Bazinga!

Offline mrbrown2195

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 09:32:48 PM »
It could be that monitor on a stand that popped up in the video where they're showing the new home base being built...
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me

Offline pinball777

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 10:59:50 PM »
Has it been seen on the air?  Any way we could get a screencap?

I've seen it before on the air, I recommend trying to look at various showcase skits that involve movement of someone like Drew or the models. One time I think there was a bike and the camera circled the whole stage, I think that moniter got caught in the shot. It was from last season, I can try to find it.

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 12:31:45 PM »
pinball777, if you do find it let me know, I've got a bunch of episodes recorded from last year and (sadly only) a few from last week, I'd be curious to see what replaced my favorite "CRT-in-a-box" :-)
Bazinga!

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 01:15:48 PM »
Honestly, that monitor has been seen several times also when the contestant runs off the turntable to the prizes and the monitor is shown.

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 01:31:39 PM »
Honestly, that monitor has been seen several times also when the contestant runs off the turntable to the prizes and the monitor is shown.

Wow I've never seen it, granted I don't pay a whole lot of attention at this point in the show.  But my question is, why would the monitor still be there when the contestant goes over to his or her prizes?  It would seem pretty unnecessary to have it in place when the winner is announced.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 02:05:15 PM »
Wow I've never seen it, granted I don't pay a whole lot of attention at this point in the show.  But my question is, why would the monitor still be there when the contestant goes over to his or her prizes? 

It shouldn't be.  Perhaps someone is a little slow in getting it out of the way?
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 02:41:31 PM »
It's all lies!  Lies I say :-)  'till I see it that is...rodroddyfan, remember what day you saw it by chance?
Bazinga!

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 03:30:33 PM »
I've seen it during numerous pricing games too (between door 1 and the turntable).  I guess they don't push it back far enough sometimes.

Offline barkerbox

• In the Audience
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 11:10:24 PM »

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 11:14:06 PM »
That looks like our old friend "CRT-in-a-box."  This clip is from season 36, I guess that means they didn't replace it yet.
Bazinga!

Offline 95cents

• In the Audience
  • 4/10/2008 TPIR Alumnus (Man on The Left)
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 04:53:11 AM »

Speaking from my experience on 4-10-08, a tv monitor, about a 19 or 26inch monitor is played at an angle to where it can be seen by the Showcase Contestants, while Roger was explaining the rules -options of the Showcase.  Ive never seen it shown on "tv" before when I watch the show on the broadcast.