Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/28/2009 - Show A  (Read 23812 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/28/2009 - Show A
« on: September 28, 2009, 02:29:16 PM »
REMINDER: This is Double Price Week. If it didn't air before this show did, Show B will air at 2 PM Local/3 PM ET (Check your local listings). The Recap for that show will be posted sometime after 6:30 ET/3:30 PT, but the thread is open now for those who already saw it.

The Price is Right - Sept. 28, 2009 - Show A
Production #4841K - Taped June 24, 2009

Drew: stage entrance w/Connor
First Four lineup: right to left
Handoff: Manuela

Models of the Day: Manuela Arbeláez, Lanisha Cole and Rachel Reynolds
Wearing: Wish

...and Connor steals the show briefly for a singalong of Old McDonald.

1   Braided Silver/Diamond Cuff Bracelet (R-in the Row)
AMANDA 1251 RENEE 2000 BRIAN *1500 SHELLI 900 ($1700)

Brian, a student at UC Santa Barbara, plays LET EM ROLL for a Ford F-150 (Std., V8, Grille)(L)($21,790)

(Sleep) Pillow Mist$10.00
(Band-Aid) Fabric Bandages (30)LOWER5.79*
(Planters) Dry Roasted Peanuts (jar)HIGHER4.69

1.1 Car & $4000Banks 1
2.2 Cars & $2500LOSS

2   Zuo Outdoor Canopy Bed (L)
+Amanda 875 +Renee 900 RAINA 15000 +Shelli *1525 ($2685)

Shelli plays COMING OR GOING for a trip to Edinburgh (6n)(M)

$7209  ←   (She's "Coming")   WIN!

3   (Frigidaire) Glass Door Fridge (M)
+Amanda 1875 +Renee 2300 Raina *1500 MICHAEL 1800 ($1699)

Raina from Kentucky plays DANGER PRICE

(1) (Grand Hall) Outdoor Grill$1999
(3) Noritake Berdina Dinnerware2554
(4) (Schwinn) Upright Exercise Bike599WIN!
(2) Nintendo Wii Video Game Package 1130

SHOWDOWN #1
$4,200Brian40 + 10.50
7,981Raina40 + 601.00*$1000*   Bonus 10   Through to Showcase Round
9,894Shelli75 + 40OV(Puny 2nd Spin)

4   (Sony) Blu-Ray Home Theater System (R)
+Amanda *1850 +Renee 1200 MELISSA 1400 Michael 1450 ($2000)

Amanda plays PICK A NUMBER for a Howard Miller Personal Storage Entertainement Cabinet and a (JVC) 46" LCD HDTV (L&M)

Setup$ 4 4 3[–]   [2][6][9]
Pick:$ 4 4 3[9]
Price: $ 4 4 3[9]   WIN!

5   Giovanno Caracas 20" Chrome Wheels/Tires (M)
KAIRIN 1600 +Renee *2500 Melissa 1000 Michael 2000 ($2900)

Renee, the last of the "First Four," plays POCKET ¢HANGE for a Chevy Impala LS (Std., BlkHtr)(R)

1st.252
2nd145691X
.504*( 9 ).50.75
3rd1–5699X
.755X
1.001X
1.256*(16).05.80
4th1–5–95X
1.509X
1.751*(19).10.90
5th––5–95*(14).05.95LOSS

6   JumpSports Stagebounce Trampoline (L)
Kairin 1 LYDIA *900 Melissa 1200 Michael 1201 ($929)

Lydia plays SHELL GAME for a Flexsteel Living Room Group (M)($5595)

(Gaggia) Portable Espresso Maker$200LOWER$160*(2) NO
Kid's Backpack40LOWER59
Smoothie Maker90LOWER79*(3) BALL   WIN!
Pizza Maker29HIGHER45*(1) NO

SHOWDOWN #2
$2,900Renee70 stay.70
6,439Amanda95 stay.95Through to Showcase Round
6,867Lydia10 + 80.90

SHOWCASE ROUND
Raina has the honor.

SC1-Amanda $1000 GC/Personal Shopper
Personal Makeover
MCF Gold/Diamond Vine Neclace (R)
VW Beetle (Std., Stereo, Seats, Key, Cover)(M)
BID$25,235
PRICE32,674
DIFF–7,439
TOTAL$39,113
SC2-Raina (Canon) Professional HD Camcorder
Apple MacBook Pro Laptop Cpmputer
Trip to Park City, UT (4n)
Trip to Cannes (via Nice; 6n)(L)
BID$22,000
PRICE29,906
DIFF–7,906
TOTAL$  8,981

Today's Pricing Games: 4 for 6
Total Winnings: $71,955

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 05:23:41 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline joeyboy

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/28/2009 - Show A
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 02:33:32 PM »
Let ‘em Roll: I like how they had the cubes set up as Drew was describing what was on them. He should have taken the $4,000 and run.

Coming or Going: Nice Win.  :-)

Danger Price: I knew it had to be the game package when I saw the Danger Price.  :biggrin:

Pick-a-Number: Good win.

Pocket ¢hange: Our first trip to “Crazy Rachel’s Car Lot” this season. Unfortunately, Rachel was playing hardball in settling for a price of the car.  :oldlol:

Shell Game:  :-D :biggrin: :-D  :biggrin: I, as well as just about everybody in chat was expecting Clock Game or Safe Crackers to show up, but it was a pleasant surprise to see Shell Game coming around on the turntable. It’s very nice that remains un-lost in the Drew era.

Showcase #1: They need to stop personalizing the showcases.

Showcase #2: Good Showcase

Despite Drew mumbling during Pocket ¢hange, we still had a great show today. The lineup was fantastic, until Shell Game showed up. Then it was just plain sweet!!!  :-D

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 02:45:15 PM »
Having Connor come on and sing for everyone kind of reminded me of Child's Play or Kids Say the Darndest Things.

I'm kind of surprised that Brian refused $4,000 when he had only one roll left and it would be a fat chance for him to roll four cars in one roll.  Ending the game with $2,500 isn't bad, but he basically gave back $1,500 to try and win a car.

Great to see Danger Price early on in the season and it was quite generous in terms of payout, over $6,000!

The new backing to the turntable really enhances the presence of Coming or Going and adds something to Shell Game since the sign was removed in 2001.

Renee didn't play Pocket ¢hange all that well, especially the guess for the third number.  Also, Drew seemed like he was mumbling and indifferent when it came to revealing the money amounts.

Also great to see Shell Game early on this season; hopefully this means we will see more than the standard 4 playings a year that we usually are treated to since Season 29.

I thought I wasn't going to see one of those showcases where Rich asks one or both contestants a question at the start, leading to awkward reactions, but I was disappointed today with the first showcase.  I had high hopes that, after last week, the showcases were going to be better this season.  But then again, it's only late September; June 2010 (or September 2010) is still a while away.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 02:57:12 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Online SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 02:50:30 PM »
There's still something that bothers me about playing a game like Let 'em Roll first.

I'm glad to see Drew's kept up with the schtick he developed for Coming or Going the last time or two it was played last season.  The game lost a lot of its charm after Bob retired, and it's finally starting to come back.

When the heck is the last time somebody actually won Danger Price?

It's nice to see that someone actually figured out how to set Pick-a-Number up for a win.

Renee played Pocket ¢hange badly.  It's hard to be disappointed that she lost, because she kinda deserved it, especially with such a simple price.

It looks like the new Turntable backdrop created a problem no one anticipated -- Drew had to move Shell Game to get behind the table!

That said, Drew actually hosted Shell Game very well.  He was practically channelling Bob during the final reveal.

I was really disappointed when Rich started his idiotic prompting of the contestants during the Showcase.  After last week, I was starting to think that maybe they'd realized how unprofessional that sounded and ditched it.

And in a shameless bit of self-promotion (or something along those lines), I've made an effort these past couple years to continue Carlos's tradition of saving every episode...and I apparently recorded WGN this morning instead of CBS.  So if anybody's willing to help a guy out, it'd be really nice (hint, hint) to see it appear on YouTube in the thread I started over in the Video Vault.  (Yes, I could get it off of InnerTube, but that won't have the cool closed-captioning plugs, and it'd be an hour or two during which I couldn't do anything else with the computer.)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline ayoung

• Double Showcase Winner
  • everybody loves me.
    • my facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 03:06:28 PM »
This is how you use pick-a-number and still have an excellent lineup.
You people make me sick.  Every last one of you.

Offline sjd93

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 03:14:32 PM »
The lineup was absoloutely awesome. We had a pretty good selection of games, and then Shell Game comes along and makes it an amazing lineup!

I agree with the others... Pocket ¢hange was played horribly. And the set-up wasn't that difficult at all.

Ugh, Stan... please start using Big Banana Remix with Danger Price again. If there's one game that really needs a certain cue, it's that one. And if you're not gonna use that... use Starcrossed, 200A, or the Phone Home Game cue. Not the Fortune Hunter cue. Nice to see Danger Price won, though.

Well, we've regressed again with the showcases... Rich's incessant questioning of the contestants makes me feel very... I don't know if tense is the right word, but it kind of is considering how awkwardly the contestants respond. From a prize standpoint however, the second showcase was really cool.
I find it ironic how the show tries to mix up the prizes and offer "cool" things like over-stuffed trips and impossible to price items to make the show less "predictable." Yet, the same things happen every single time a show airs.

-temptation1979ga

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 03:29:58 PM »
What a stupid decision to go on in Let 'em Roll. No excuse for not taking the $4,000.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Amanda
SHOW GRADE: 2

Offline BD

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 03:52:59 PM »
Good show today with pricing games that don't get played that often.

*Let 'Em Roll:
What a stupid decision to go on in Let 'em Roll. No excuse for not taking the $4,000.

Personally, I probably would have went for it too... I mean, either way I'm still going to win some money so I might as well go for the car. It isn't like I would be risking tens of thousands of dollars by going for the car... it's only a thousand or two and I would be willing to risk that to try and get a car. That's just me though.

*Coming Or Going: Nice win.

*Danger Price: Man.. haven't see this game in a while. Nice to see the game won (though the set up was pretty easy imo).

*Pick-A-Number: Pretty easy set up so I was expecting a win.

*Pocket Change: Bad playing so I was expecting her to lose the game.

*Shell Game: Nice! Another game I haven't seen in a while. Drew did this game really well imo, creating tension/excitement. Another win makes 4/6 for this episode.

*Showcases: Both were ok. I do agree that when Rich asks the contestants a question it can be awkward, especially when the contestants don't respond. When he asks a question he should just move on instead of waiting for a response.

Drew's Hosting: 90%

Pricing Game Lineup: 90%

Pricing Game Wins: 67%

Prizes: 80%

Tilt: 90% (Another good show for this season. Drew was very good imo and the lineup was great. Love the shots... really good directing this season. Also nice to see more wins than loses... hopefully we'll be able to keep it going and not go back to the way it was earlier last week.)

Final Score for Episode: 8.0 out of 10
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 03:54:46 PM by BD »

Offline sjd93

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 03:55:47 PM »
*Showcases: Both were ok. I do agree that when Rich asks the contestants a question it can be akward, especially when the contestants don't respond. When he asks a question he should just move on instead of just waiting for a response.

Or they could just have him do normal showcases and not ask questions....
I find it ironic how the show tries to mix up the prizes and offer "cool" things like over-stuffed trips and impossible to price items to make the show less "predictable." Yet, the same things happen every single time a show airs.

-temptation1979ga

Offline BD

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 04:04:27 PM »
Or they could just have him do normal showcases and not ask questions....

A showcase can still be normal with questions... i.e. "(After showing a iPod) ...And you want your iPod to have all the latest songs right? We have the perfect solution... a $500 iTunes gift card!"

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 04:16:44 PM »
-Lineup: Hoooooooooly... +2
-Rolly: Bad decision here, but the peanuts were hard. 7/10
-Coggy: Nice luck. 9/10
-Danger: Wow, finally a win! 9/10
-SD1: 5/5
-Pa#: Well if it is -9, that's not so bad of a setup. :) 9/10
-Pocket: Gah, way too hard. 8/10
-Shelly: Yaaaaaaaaaaaay Shelly / yaaaaaaaay win!! 9/10
-SD2: 4/5
-SC1: Wow, a Beetle!! 5/5
-SC2: Not too bad, really. Nice stuff. 4.5/5
-Results: Wow, 2 was high (see CSS: Kev's note on camera). 1 not such a surprise. OK bids and close - 8.5/10
-Drew: Old McLetsNeverDoThisAgain OK? Otherwise fine. 8/10

PGs: 51/60
SDs: 9/10
SCs: 18/20
Drew: 8/10

86 + 2 = 88 --> B+
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 04:19:14 PM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline katrinka_ohio

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 04:41:21 PM »
Lydia had the turntable literally rocking when she was jumping up and down after winning Shell Game!
Go fellow Buckeye Drew!

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 05:14:49 PM »
Yay!  Danger Price and Shell Game! :P :P

It might be a new season, but the sucky cues for Danger Price continue.  Shame on you, Stan, for not doing a better job with the cues.  Well, it's early in the season, so maybe there will still be hope.

Despite that, Danger Price was actually won!  Good to see that it was set up to be won, and it was actually won.  Same for PA#, which was a virtual no-brainer.

Today's SC2 was the first true sexed-up showcase of S38.  How much was that camcorder, anyway?  I had it tagged at $4,000, and I was still nearly $9,000 too low.

My showcase bids:
Beetle--$31,507
Film--$21,107
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline FloridaAdam

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 05:26:11 PM »
Also, Drew seemed like he was mumbling and indifferent when it came to revealing the money amounts [in Pocket Change].

I had posted some time ago that it seemed to me that the contents of each Pocket Change envelope have appeared to be written in small print in one of the lower corners of the reverse side of each envelope and that Drew not-very-inconspicuously looks at those (I think Bob probably did, too).  I think today's playing supports the notion that Drew does so and carries out the remainder of the game based on his personal reaction to that information, and I can think of two reasonable measures either of which would result in both improved performance by Drew insofar as hosting that game is concerned and game-playing ambiance itself: 

(1) remove those values so that Drew cannot see them;  and

(2) if removing that information would cause its own S&P or prop-accounting issue, then simply instruct Drew not to look at that information, instead letting the reveals to the audience be as much a reveal to him as to the audience, providing a basis for genuine, appropriate drama and removing the impetus for the related effect on Drew's hosting of that game.

Online SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 05:55:37 PM »
I had posted some time ago that it seemed to me that the contents of each Pocket Change envelope have appeared to be written in small print in one of the lower corners of the reverse side of each envelope and that Drew not-very-inconspicuously looks at those (I think Bob probably did, too).

The contents of the envelopes were definitely written on the envelopes while Bob was hosting.  I don't know if they still are, but I don't see any reason they would have changed it.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.