Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/28/2009 - Show A  (Read 23734 times)

Offline 444dd

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HYO #7 will be in a few months
    • My Youtube
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/28/2009 - Show A
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 06:38:51 PM »
Did anyone see that when Drew was giving the price is right website plug.  He says it's the greatest price is right website on the web.  That was so uncool this site is the greatest
That wasn't a showcase, that was an infomercial.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 06:41:14 PM »
Should he say that priceisright.com is a crappy site then?  Or that it is the 2nd best site?  What would you prefer?  Let's be realistic here.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 12:09:19 PM by Joe_Capitano »
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline 444dd

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HYO #7 will be in a few months
    • My Youtube
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 06:48:30 PM »
What I ment was,that when Drew was talking about the website he made it sound like all other websites are crappy.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 12:09:38 PM by Joe_Capitano »
That wasn't a showcase, that was an infomercial.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 07:07:01 PM »
I think you are reading WAY too much into his plug.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 12:10:14 PM by Joe_Capitano »
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 07:10:10 PM »
It looks like the new Turntable backdrop created a problem no one anticipated -- Drew had to move Shell Game to get behind the table!

I realize Drew is not as lean as Bob was, but is the hemisphere of the turntable really that much smaller now? Actually I was more surprised over the ease he moved it with. It looked like it weighs next to nothing.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline TPIRSteven

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 09:02:32 PM »
Let 'Em Roll:  Just about everyone in chat was screaming to take the $4,000.  Of course, it was also pretty obvious to me that there was no way those peanuts were more than $5.79, so the verdict is this was badly played all around.

Coming or Going:  It was pretty much a shot in the dark, but I had it, too.

Danger Price:  Wow, this one was tough!  I wouldn't have thought the Wii stuff would be worth that much, but it amounted to an impressive win!  But why was Fortune Hunter Cue used instead of BBR?

Pick-a-Number:  Forcing the player to guess the last number in this game is evil!  Mercifully it was won, as the most logical choice was right.

Pocket Change:  Another game that was played very poorly.  This should have been won given how easy the price was.

Shell Game:  Wow!  I was expecting something short like 1RP or Check Game here after seeing Pocket Change, but instead we get a great SP game with a great win that came down to the wire!

Showcases:  Boy those trips were expensive!  And the VW Bug was a lot more than I suspected, as well.  File this one under "G" for Garf-o-palooza.

Steven's Show Score:
Pricing Game Lineup:  24/25 -- One of the best lineups I've seen since Drew took over!
Wins:  18/25 -- 4 out of 6, but both car games were lost.  At least one was won in the showcases.
Showcases:  16/20 -- The first showcase was presented very well; I didn't like #2 as much.
Hosting:  14/20 -- Drew mumbled a bit at times, but he did a good job otherwise.
Other:  8/10 -- We got to hear the classic "Truck Cue", which is a plus.

Total:  80/100 -- Very good (in my opinion the best yet this season)

Offline leafsfan17

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2009, 09:18:30 PM »
Nice wins in this episode. I must admit that while it was cute seeing Connor start the show by doing a little singing, I feel that it wasn't really necessary.
Dr. Pepper: Not recommended for Skype chats

Offline REDHEADVICKI

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2009, 09:37:24 PM »
Hello all!   :-)

Drew did a good job hosting today, and it was nice to see his little boy Connor again as well.
Nice to see classic games Danger Price (they should have used a more classic cue on this game, Make Your Move cue would have been better) & Shell Game today in the lineup.

Good rating from me today, overall good show today...

Have a great evening all!   :-)

Vicki 

Offline PaladinTornado

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2009, 09:38:35 PM »
To repeat what others have said, this lineup was great.  We saw some good wins and a few games we haven't seen in some time.  Let 'Em Roll was last played April 16, and Shell Game had been absent since May 5 (nice to see that so early in the season, just like Bonus Game from last week).  It's worth noting that Shell Game maintains its perfect record in the Drew era (7-0).  Finally, Danger Price ended its 10 game losing streak, as it was last won on April 23, 2008, way back in Season 36 (the Dob days).  Good day today (both episodes!)

Offline sjd93

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2009, 10:06:11 PM »
Nice to see classic games Danger Price (they should have used a more classic cue on this game, Make Your Move cue would have been better) & Shell Game today in the lineup.

I agree about the classic cue, but the Make Your Move prize cue (cue 210A) has only been used in Make Your Move. There's Cue 209, which sounds very similar to the Make Your Move cue, but that isn't used anymore. The Big Banana Remix is the best cue for Danger Price.
I find it ironic how the show tries to mix up the prizes and offer "cool" things like over-stuffed trips and impossible to price items to make the show less "predictable." Yet, the same things happen every single time a show airs.

-temptation1979ga

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2009, 10:15:43 PM »
I agree about the classic cue, but the Make Your Move prize cue (cue 210A) has only been used in Make Your Move.

Wrong.  It used to be the normal cue for Race Game and Take Two.  It still gets a rare playing during Race Game and Take Two.  In fact, it has happened once during the Drew Era.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2009, 10:22:16 PM »
 It's worth noting that Shell Game maintains its perfect record in the Drew era (7-0).  

Wow, I did not know this statistic. Thanks for sharing. Remarkable that with all the losses of late we still have an undefeated game with Drew.

Holy cow, what a pair of shows today. This one had a good diehard fan lineup with all obscure games (grin), haha, so of course we all like it. But I was expecting us to go SP-less and something like Clock to show up last today - when I saw that living room group I stared at my TV in disbelief because I knew it had to be Shell. I tell you, if one thing is good about these lineups it is their general unpredictability. I can't believe we've seen all 4 SP non-car non-cash games in the first SIX shows of the season - this has probably never happened before. As for the actual show, Pocket Change was a very disappointing playing because that's about as easy as you'll ever see it, but in general great gameplay today. Nice to see Danger Price finally won for the first time since S36 as well. Also, some pretty sweet showcases today, I must admit.

Three mini-fails on this show that are worth noting: 1) The first repeat game of the season is Pick A Number...bah. This is clearly minor though and just funny to note more than anything. 2) Showcases started regressing to Drewcases a bit - the writing of the first left a lot to be desired with all the personalization (I thought we were done with that!) 3) I thought Drew bringing out his kid was cute. Old McDonald was a little lame though. Then again somehow even with a 28 minute lineup and overtime in a showcase showdown we had extra time today because we had the full plug so I guess that was an OK way to use some of it. I just don't get the way time falls on this show sometimes anymore.

Speaking of time, here are the timings for today's show. Note the extra long lineup. Also nice that we saved the two longest games of the season to date for the 5th and 6th games of today.

Timings:
Let 'em Roll (5.5) - 4:26
Coming Or Going (3.5) - 2:26
Danger Price (4.5) - 3:35
Pick A Number (3.5) - 3:06
Pocket Change (5) - 5:42
Shell Game (6) - 5:30
Total time (28): 24:45

Offline sjd93

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2009, 10:35:14 PM »
Wrong.  It used to be the normal cue for Race Game and Take Two.  It still gets a rare playing during Race Game and Take Two.  In fact, it has happened once during the Drew Era.

Yeah, but either it's a separately orchestrated cue, or the Make Your Move cue but started like a minute in or something. The one used in Race Game and Take Two is not the standard Make Your Move cue played from the beginning.
I find it ironic how the show tries to mix up the prizes and offer "cool" things like over-stuffed trips and impossible to price items to make the show less "predictable." Yet, the same things happen every single time a show airs.

-temptation1979ga

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2009, 12:31:07 AM »
Good show!!!

Unfortunately, I lost the second half watching online so thanks for the recap!

Joe

Offline JasonA1

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2009, 01:43:57 AM »
Great, great lineup today. The moment with Connor was absolutely precious. Definitely one for Drew's scrapbook.

I've been enjoying the new season, and hope they continue to surprise me as they find their groove. I still shrug when some of the changes I don't like come up, but, the show as a whole (always has) entertained me.

Love the little directing nuances and how Rich Dipirro is just constantly improving. Reminds me of Breslow when he started getting into the wipes and transitions a few years into the run. Once Rich gets his entire vision out there, the show will be just as fun visually as it was in the 70s.

For instance, stacking up the blocks in Let Em Roll for the explanation, and eliminating the host having to awkwardly turn the cube was one of those "why didn't I think of that" changes. And using a snap zoom on that one Shell Game reveal was neat. I wished he had kept doing it for every shell.

That said, I noticed some editing weirdness in places. And not just the usual trimming, but some really unnecessary stuff that clearly came from the isos. To wit, I noticed Drew's mouth was moving in a close up of the contestant in Coming or Going and the audio didn't match. I really hope they get past that and keep it to the live cut.

I've gone on too long, but I'm excited about this season, and I'll keep sharing my thoughts.

-Jason