Author Topic: CSS Results for October 23  (Read 4274 times)

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
Re: CSS Results for October 23
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 07:42:49 PM »
Bully, that is sheer torture.  :biggrin:

Well, it beats having you all listen to the other video featuring orchestral music that sounds like it was played at a middle school band concert.

(I love to torture BuddyTom with it though...)

:mrgreen:
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 08:10:27 PM »
Congratulations Hag! Is this Hag's 2nd blitz?

Offline visualbasicwizard

• Walking the Golden Road
  • 2005-2014
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 10:05:50 PM »
You know what sucks?  I had figured 17k for the first SC, and then I said, "No stupid, the trip and the bike are about 9k each."  I stared at the 17k bid though most of the second SC, and then changed it.  Not that it would have mattered much as I blew he second one as well.

But congrats to Hag for the blitz!

Check out my CSS signs: CSS images
My CSS calculator: http://www.vbwcomputers.com/CSS/calculator.php

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 11:46:13 PM »
$25,300/$21,850 for Kristin... she almost survives the carnage on the second showcase, but it wouldn't have mattered due to her insane bid on the first showcase.

Offline upperclasstwit

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 12:12:14 AM »
Bully, that is sheer torture.  :biggrin:

At least it wasn't Mr. Tambourine Man. :-o 8-O

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2009, 12:32:29 AM »
Boy, am I glad I missed the bloodbath!
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Online Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2009, 01:43:29 AM »
I'm with visual - I had it down for $17,000, but decided that since I'd been garfing all week, I might as well try to refigure it all out. Whoops. That didn't work out.

Am I the only one who thinks that Shatner's song is epic?  :P

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2009, 11:45:32 AM »
Congratulations Hag! Is this Hag's 2nd blitz?

You are right.  This makes him the second person to get two CSS Blitzes.  (I got my second one on December 18, 2007.)
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2009, 12:31:49 PM »
I definitely wouldn't have said that if I was you... now your blitz is completely tarnished.

I understand what you mean, but I might make the point that others probably purposely bid low on Fridays. I didn't do it expecting that I would blitz.

Actually, I thought this was my first blitz. I did come close a couple of times last year, but I believe there was at least one other survivor.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2009, 03:20:10 PM »
Then the others that do that are wrong, too... that is simply not the way to play CSS. The object of the game is to guess the price of two showcases each day... not bid as safely as you can just to get some points.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2009, 03:40:20 PM »
I do see your point, and it is a good one. I will keep it in mind.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline pathfinder20

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2009, 04:33:54 PM »
Gentlemen and Ladies, I see both sides of this. I see Hag's point that we are trying to score points and carefully; however, like Heels, I feel like sometime we can't play it safe all the time. However, I also see that if we push it too hard we end up screwing ourselves out of points.  I think the best way to say this is that each player have his or her own methods. Some of us are point players. Some of us are cash players, and some are a combination of the two. However, we can't bash each other on whose method is better. If the player wants to play conserveratively that is fine. If the player wants to play full throttle, that's fine too. I may not agree with which method is better but I will defend the right on each player may play on his or her terms.

Offline BuddyTom

• Double Showcase Winner
  • It says what it means.
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2009, 08:56:39 PM »
Thank you, pathfinder20, for a very rational post.

There are two philosophies for playing CSS, both valid as far as I'm concerned. If you look at last year's final leaderboard, you can tell who used which strategy, to a point. pathfinder20 came in second in cash with over $800K, 8 DSWs, 12 wins, but also an overbid percentage of 54% (the highest) and the resulting average points score of 53.74, twenty-ninth place, or the third lowest above the line.

rodroddyfan is the diametric opposite. He came in third in points (81.75 average) but thirty-first in cash, only DSWd 4 times and won 3 times. But his overbid percentage is only 16%, the lowest above the line.

That was one of the things that made PriceFan985 so amazing. Not only did he win, cash, and DSW quite frequently, but he hardly ever went over. That was why he was practically unstoppable back when he was playing. Two seasons ago he finished with a points average of 107.58, $950K, 14 DSWs, 1 QSW, 10 wins, and only a 16.1% overbid rate!!! But I think we can all agree that showcases weren't necessarily easier then, but certainly more predictable. Once you knew your trailers and boats and spas, you had it made.
BuddyTom
CSS Host emeritus (served 2006-10)

-- Freude!

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2009, 09:10:29 PM »
Look at my line this season:  14 games, 3 overbids, 99.57 points average--yet I haven't cashed at all this season.  Will we finally get some normal Showcases on a somewhat regular basis, or will I have to torture you all with William Shatner's "Mr. Tambourine Man" or Leonard Nimoy's interpretation of the Lord of the Rings-inspired "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins?"  As far as I'm concerned, this season is just getting started.  Strap on your seat belts and pull down those lap bars!  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 09:13:04 PM by GoldenBulldog »
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline pathfinder20

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2009, 09:19:30 PM »
I hate to break it to you, Bulldog, but those days are long gone since the exacta. We are lucky to get a nice and tidy showcase once a week. :P (I have seen the The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins. Dude just no...)