Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/30/2009 (All Hallows Price 3)  (Read 70928 times)

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/30/2009 (All Hallows Price 3)
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 04:05:54 PM »

Oh yeah, I certainly did, although I didn't "get" what the bars of soap were about... the eggs, shaving cream, toilet paper, and paper bags, I got. But what's the deal with the soap? Could somebody explain that Halloween 'tradition' to me?

It use to be a common halloween prank to soap people's window's, so that you couldn't see through them.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline GR WHAMMY

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Just wants to enjoy the show!
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 04:09:10 PM »
Standard suite here:
  • Audience looked more like they should belong on LMAD
  • No use of "Walking" in the beginning
(etc.)

it's called getting in the mood for the holiday
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 04:55:33 PM by Joe_Capitano »
Just wants to enjoy the show!
HYO WINNINGS: $3675

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 04:14:18 PM »
I have to say, compared to the previous Halloween shows, the staff totally blew Roger out of the water.  Even though there weren't a lot of wins, the decoration and the fact that it looked like a lot of effort was put into this made up for it.  I thought the audience wearing costumes would bother me, but it really didn't once I was immersed in such a Halloween-like atmosphere, they seemed appropriate.  I also laughed at how the buzzer was replaced with a scream.

I loved the organ rendition of the theme and the lighting in the audience; especially the lightning flashes when someone was called on down.  It was a bit of a letdown that they didn't modify the logo for Halloween like last year, though.

As for the costumes, I'm surprised Roger or anyone else never thought of having Drew, Rich, and the models dress up as some of the pricing games or parts of pricing games.  It was better idea than having say a mummy, a vampire, or any of the other previous costumes.  I loved how Amber's costume actually worked and had the price on it after Range Game was played.

It was great to see Triple Play return from the dead and the first new Camaro on the show in over 7 years!  I think we may have to attach the "Evil" monkier to the Camaro now instead of the Mustang since it's such a powerful car for not a lot of money, and it looks fast, people will likely overprice it.

Great to see that not only the on-camera talent dressed up, as we see Dave for the first time in a while, dressed up as some warrior from ancient Greece or Rome.

I loved the theme of groceries in Grocery Game, I wonder if Scott did it again.  I can't wait to see what setups we will have for possibly a Thanksgiving-themed show and Christmas-themed with regard to GP games.

If you're going to have the spider descend to scare a contestant, I guess it was best they did it once and didn't try to make it a running gag.

I'm kind of surprised that with Rich at the Showcase Showdown winner's side, he didn't say the plug instead of Drew when going to commercial.

I loved how they decorated Cliff Hangers, with the haunted town and witch across the Moon in the background with, appropriately, a graveyard at the bottom.  It makes me wonder if the game is played during Christmas, it will look like the North Pole or something.

I loved the themed SP's in Cliff Hangers and Plinko, but I will say that cauldron was likely to be tricky.  I guess because it looked like it had a built-in light and maybe a mini smoke machine, that should have gave a clue as to how expensive it may be, but as the Joe Plinkos around me today thought, that cauldron didn't look that expensive (I guessed it was $39, for the record).

I liked how some sparkle was added to Plinko's $50,000 graphic.

Whoever said the new showcase podiums looked like coffins, well I am speechless at what they did today for decorations.

As for the bidding, never have I seen such atrocious bids from both contestants!  I wonder if this really is the first time that we have seen such bad underbidding from both contestants, and it was the same bid!
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline voguevixen

• In Contestant's Row
    • Twitter
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 04:19:52 PM »
It use to be a common halloween prank to soap people's window's, so that you couldn't see through them.

This might be a midwest thing.  (Drew and Rich are from Ohio - I'm from Indiana.)  In the winter (well October, but I remember trick-or-treating some years in my winter coat) it's a big ol' pain to have to go and scrub soap off your windows when it might be 20 degrees out.

It would've been more confusing if they'd done Little Debbie Oatmeal Pies.  Does anyone get THAT one?
I apologise in advance.

Online mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 04:33:37 PM »
Speaking of Grocery Game, I see mention of a "theme" to the products, but I don't get it?  What was the theme?

They're all mischievous things you can do on Halloween.

This might be a midwest thing.  (Drew and Rich are from Ohio - I'm from Indiana.)  In the winter (well October, but I remember trick-or-treating some years in my winter coat) it's a big ol' pain to have to go and scrub soap off your windows when it might be 20 degrees out.

Definitely a regional thing. I'm from the south and have never heard of or seen this...
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 04:36:04 PM »
They're all mischievous things you can do on Halloween.

Ya think someone on staff is secretly yearning for the return of $25,000 Pyramid?  :P

Offline tpirman1982

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My TPIR Fanpage
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 04:38:44 PM »
Oh, man, I missed it! I forgot to set up the tape. I hope it goes up in all partial clips on YouTube. 'Cause my orbit downloader won't download the shows from cbs.com

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 04:41:44 PM »
Do you know what the lunch bags are for?

paper bag + some dog poo + a lit match+ Principal Skinner's expensive Italian loafers... ignite said bag, ring doorbell, run like hell, listen for faint laughter of one Bart Simpson...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 04:43:33 PM by Off_trak »

Offline Macsen

• The mythical, elusive S39-S40 Recap Guide
    • Twitch streaming
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 04:51:08 PM »
When that price came out for the cauldron I had a bad feeling. "Call Frankenstein!"
"Kitch? Yes, that is what they used to call me..."

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 05:40:03 PM »
Standard suite here:
  • Audience looked more like they should belong on LMAD
  • No use of "Walking" in the beginning
(etc.)
You forgot:
Theme song played in a minor key.

And what was the Cliff Hangers player thinking?  When you have 19 dollars to spare, you don't bid $17; that makes the winning price for the third item anywhere from $36 to NEGATIVE $2.

(Then again, I didn't think that cauldron was worth $50 either.)

Was I the only person who smelled something fishy when both showcase bids were $4200?  (And let's keep the 420 jokes to a minimum, please.)

Pretty much the only thing missing from the Halloween theme:
"Don't forget to have your black cat spayed or neutered."

-- Don
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 05:42:40 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline ElectricPeterTork

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2009, 05:43:19 PM »
For some reason, I'd like to see the tombstones remain at the bottom of the Cliffhangers game in memory of all the fallen Yodely Guys.

But that showcase... that really was Derek's to lose, and he did it.
Repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax."

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2009, 05:51:18 PM »
Has it ever happened before that both players made the same bid (in the showcases)?

Yes, quite a few times actually.

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2009, 07:08:11 PM »
Despite all of the problems that some people here have had with the show, one thing can't be argued... they know how to put on a holiday-themed show. Wow.

Well if everything is thought out, and makes sense and corresponds with the holiday you're going for, you can pull off an excellent show. But if everyone did whatever they wanted and listened to no one who knows how terrible it could've been. I haven't watched the show yet but it sounds like despite the losses, that it was a pretty good one.
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline sjd93

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 07:09:33 PM »
WOW! What a show! The current staff really does know how to do holiday shows.

Awesome to see Triple Play back, and really cool to see a Camaro!

Like the April Fools' show, the great thing here was the attention to detail. There's too much stuff to possibly list, but the level of detail they went into with the Halloween theme was really astounding.

That said, really, really bad gameplay today. Just terrible. Fortunately the production values of this show were so good that the gameplay didn't detract too much from my enjoyment.

I thought the organ remix of the main theme was really cool... like others have said, I'd like to see a Christmas-music variant of that.
I find it ironic how the show tries to mix up the prizes and offer "cool" things like over-stuffed trips and impossible to price items to make the show less "predictable." Yet, the same things happen every single time a show airs.

-temptation1979ga

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2009, 07:09:49 PM »

It was also referenced in the 10/30/2009 Funky_Winkerbean comic strip:

-- Don
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 03:07:15 AM by Joe_Capitano »