Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/30/2009 (All Hallows Price 3)  (Read 70930 times)

Offline lance99

• In the Audience
    • Lances Political World
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/30/2009 (All Hallows Price 3)
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2009, 07:27:15 PM »
I'm so happy that they played one of the "Big Three" today! :biggrin:

Now we need the rest of them back in the rotation
Be careful and remember: "Fear The Roo!" My signoff from my radio show. The lance Bell Presents Show

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2009, 07:30:37 PM »
Well, as others have said, the current staff really does know how to do a holiday-themed show. The presentation really made the show for me today to the point where I didn't care as much about some of the ridiculously stupid gameplay we saw today (though that will be noted below). I think they knew we responded well to the April Fools' show, so they attempted to do something similar with Halloween and it really worked. I enjoyed the flickering lighting and randomly inserted spiders and sound effects, but even through all that it still felt like an episode of The Price Is Right, just a very screwed up one. There were some elements that were mildly over the top (the intro was a little overwhelming, though Rich's spooky voice was really cool, we really don't ever need scripted Drew/Rich interaction before a one-bid like we had before OB2 today, though that wasn't too bad; and Rich reading the entirety of prize copy through a voice distortion machine), overall it really worked. I enjoyed the subtle theme of prank grocery items in Grocery Game - I was expecting the more obvious theme of Halloween candy, but that really worked too. And having the models/Drew all dressed as pricing games, and then having them actually play all those pricing games with the corresponding model, and then having Rich come out during the SCSD to represent the Big Wheel - just a really really cool theme and a great way to tie Halloween into the show. Lineup even if clearly much more predictable than usual today was strong - it was a good day to throw convention out the window and have two SP games, especially since the show clearly had a vast assortment of Halloween themed small prizes to spread out over two games. The only thing that was a bit of a letdown was the showcases. I really enjoyed the Halloween skits from last year, so I was disappointed we did away with them this year, although the presentation of the car as a hearse was cool. (Also, clearly they continue to read these boards - turning the new showcase podiums into actual coffins was a brilliant touch!). The staff seems to currently be shying away from skit showcases, and I can't really blame them after all the criticism we gave them last year. Still, a cute Halloween skit would have been a nice touch - I do hope we see skit showcases pop back up again eventually.

Good thing the presentation was so good, because the gameplay totally stunk today. Although two of the games have to be put on Greco - today would have been a good day for easy wins. But instead we get an impossibly high Range Game (randomly played for the 2nd time this week, but it worked with the costumes), and an evil Plinko (all 4 SPs use the 0/5 rule, but the first two follow it and then the second two don't? That's pretty impossible). Still, pretty much every game except Grocery Game and Cliffy was played pretty badly today (and Cliffy should not have had that $17 guess). And then we end the show with a spectacular failure with the worst Stage Player bids of all time.

And as a result of that, I hate to be the one to bring this up but I have to ask a question: I love the theme show presentations as much as anybody, but does anyone else think that maybe they distract the contestants a little too much? If you recall, last year's April Fools' show was 1/6 with poor showcase bids too, and it just begs the question whether the theme shows are just a little too much for some contestants in an already distracting environment. I'd hate to see the themes have to be toned down, but it's definitely a question worth asking.

Oh, and almost lost in all this: Yay! Triple Play! And what a way to return with the special smoke reveals. That was a really exciting way to kick today off. Too bad it was lost.

Timings:
Triple Play (6) - 4:05
Range Game (4) - 3:37
Grocery Game (4.5) - 4:29
Double Prices (3) - 2:31
Cliff Hangers (4.5) - 4:19
Plinko (5.5) - 4:40
Total time (27.5): 23:41

Offline joeyboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2009, 07:30:50 PM »
Opening: I thought it was appropriate that the Cliffhangers yodel cue was played as Drew came out.

Triple Play: IT’S BACK!!!  :-D Wow, that Camaro really fooled me. I thought she had it.

Range Game: Hey, it’s Dave the union 33 guy!  :biggrin: Awesome sound and green screen effects. Again, if she went to the top, she would have been won.

Grocery Game: Tough loss.

SCSD #1: 3-way tie.

Double Prices: That should not have been lost.

Cliff Hangers: Wow, that was an expensive Couldron.

Plinko: Finally, a winner.  :biggrin:

Showcases: Decent showcases. The bids… :headbang: It's 2009 people, not 1975.

Showcase Results: Shockingly enough, double  :gotc:.

Good show today. Every little detail is what makes the theme shows work, and the attention to detail today was flawless. The costumes were awesome, the lineup was fantastic (Triple Play and 2 SP games).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 07:34:30 PM by joeyboy »

Offline beachbumjake24

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2009, 08:05:07 PM »
I thought that a couple of the costume choices were on the lame side.

However, the costume that was the most lame was Rich's big wheel outfit.  He looked rediculous rather than humorous.  Does he have no shame?  Does he just do anything the show (or Drew) tells him to do (I guess he has to).   Couldn't they have thought up something better for him.

I thought Rich's costume was Hilarious! What a GREAT idea! haha

Offline woohookitty

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2009, 08:13:44 PM »
Standard suite here:
Audience looked more like they should belong on LMAD
No use of "Walking" in the beginning (etc.)

Um. it's Halloween. :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 03:08:24 AM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline voguevixen

• In Contestant's Row
    • Twitter
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2009, 08:23:24 PM »
I thought the only EXCRUCIATING gameplay was in DoublePrices.  GAH!  I mean I even figured out the "Even numbers" thing before I started hanging out on PIR boards!  I thought I was WAY CRAFTY!  LOL  if *I* can figure that out ANYONE should be able to!

Aside from that there were a lot of tricky ones today.  I was shocked when I got 3 of 4 right on Plinko small prizes.  Usually I'm "stinko at plinko."    Is there a system I'm not aware of?  I know the usual theme of Cliffhangers which is why the Caldron threw me.  (That and us witches wouldn't pay those LA prices, pshaw!)
I apologise in advance.

Online actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2009, 08:33:55 PM »
v.v., it's funny you should bring up a Plinko system, because there used to be a fairly reliable rule-of-thumb. If the "wrong price" ended in 0, 5, or sometimes 9, then the last number would be the correct choice. Recently, this has almost reversed itself, but not so much that you could rely on it.

I'd say it's a good thing at least that this forces the contestants to have some general knowledge of prices, but these days many of the prizes have bizarre prices that no one would possibly guess.

I wondered what was going on in that guy's head when he bid on the showcase. Did Drew's comment about the hearse make him think that he wasn't supposed to include the car in his bid at all? Or did he just space out? No way am I believing he thought that was really the price of the car.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 08:44:29 PM by actual_retail_tice »

Offline blackwood

• In Contestant's Row
  • "I have started so I will finish", Magus Magguson
    • Blackwood Company
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2009, 08:53:08 PM »
The setting was good but not the bids or the games except of course for that $10,000 win.  And both bidding the same for each of their showcases.  WHAT THE CRAP WAS THAT? >:(
Love and Heart

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2009, 09:00:27 PM »
If would have been nice to set up some games for a few easy wins...  The first 5 games were pretty big downers in what had all the makings of an epic show....Fun show, just thought it could have been better if they threw some easier setups in.
With what we saw, I say that at least three of five games had easier setups (TP/DP/Cliff), Plinko notwithstanding.  That's pretty good, in my opinion.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
Best Halloween costumes EVER!  Drew and Company as TPIR props.  Great costumes by many of the audience members and contestants, too.  We had Dylan as Wolverine and Dawn as bubble gum at the bottom of a shoe, but I also saw Captain America and a bag of M&Ms in Dylan's group and a couple of Bob Barkers (complete with microphone) in the front rows.

Yay!  Triple Play! :P And the brand-new Camaro!

Nice!  Amber's Range Game costume even works!  So does this mean that we can't restart Amber for 37 hours?  Good to see Dave participated in the Halloween festivities, too.  Kathy went for yet another RG forced loss by putting the price near the top again.  I'll repeat what I said last time:  Roger would consider that cheating.

Soap, eggs, TP, shaving cream, and paper bags.  Scott has done it again.

You know I have to say this:  It's a three-way in SCSD 1! :-D

*sigh* Yet another Double Prices contestant ignores the double-prize rule.

It's Cliffy for a car!  Wow, I thought Jennifer had that car in the bag... then she gave that dumb guess of $17 on the final prize.

I had this funny feeling that they would be playing all four of the PGs represented by the costumes of Drew and the models, even though two of them are SP games.

Despite having only two Plinko chips, Derek made great work of them.  And for the second time this season, Plinko is the only "win" of the show.  (I made sure to put "win" in quotes this time since Plinko wasn't technically won, as far as the producers are concerned.)

I love those coffin-shaped showcase podia.

$4,200?!  This isn't 1975 anymore, Loretta!

Two $4,200 bids in the showcases?!  :headbang:

My showcase bids:
FRATS--$17,107
Car--$29,507
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline leafsfan17

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2009, 09:32:30 PM »
Now that was definitely a rarity in the showcase, seeing both players bid an equal amount on their own showcase. When was the last time that happened?
Dr. Pepper: Not recommended for Skype chats

Offline voguevixen

• In Contestant's Row
    • Twitter
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2009, 10:03:18 PM »
"Podia" is the correct plural?

::makes note::
I apologise in advance.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2009, 10:53:13 PM »
What a great job they did on the Halloween theme on today's show! :biggrin:  I loved all the costumes, but my favorite costume was Drew's Yodelly Guy costume.

Triple Play:  Too bad it wasn't won, but nice to see it back! :-)
Range Game:  Rats! :-(  That was neat how the range finder on Amber's costume actually worked.
Grocery Game:  I liked the theme with the items.
Double Prices:  As soon as Dawn made her choice I knew she was gonna lose!  Don't these people know that if there's 2 motorcycles, or whatever the prize is, the price is gonna end in an even number!? :roll:
Cliff Hangers:  I was surprised at how expensive the cauldron was! :-o 
Plinko:  Finally, a winner! Yay! :-)
Showcases:  What the heck was up with those bids!?  >:(

Great show despite having only one winner, IMHO.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline pinball777

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2009, 10:55:15 PM »
Great show on the Halloween aspect, not so much on game play. Cliffhangers should not have been mad. My dad was watching, and he was surprised to see a car in the game since this game is easy to win. She had it up to the last prize. He also went crazy at the showcases and I was too, is a car really worth $4,200? $24,000 would have been good, something weird must have gone on. These Halloween shows are what I like the most of the Drew era, the staff is so good at them now they are enjoyable to watch.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2009, 11:24:35 PM »
The costumes today were great, as were the decorations in Cliff Hangers.  Given that most of this was probably Drew's idea, though, I was surprised how ambivalent he seemed to be to the whole game for most of the day.

The remix of the theme didn't do a lot for me.  It wasn't even recognizable as being the theme until it had already been playing for about 15 seconds, and as usually happens when they do these alternate arrangements, the bridge was mangled.  (At least, I think it was the bridge...again, it was kind of hard to tell.)

Using "spooky" sound effects instead of the buzzer and the foghorn is an example of what my dad calls "the looks good on paper rule" -- it seems like a neat idea, but when you put it into practice, it doesn't really work.

It was good to see Drew host Triple Play reasonably well for once.  His reveals weren't the best...but neither were any of his others today, and he did get pretty excited over the cars.

This is the second "special" episode in a row where we got skunked...but it wasn't really the show's fault this time.  There was just some pretty bad game-playing today.  Triple Play shouldn't have been lost so early, Double Prices shouldn't have been lost at all, and Cliff Hangers...that was just bad.

On the other hand, the show is still setting up Plinko stupidly.

The showcases today weren't bad...but man, they paled in comparison to last year's awesome spoof of Frankenstein (which I still don't think Drew had anything to do with).  I miss having creative themes like that.

Speaking of the Showcase, what the hell was up with the bids?!  That was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen.

I'm so happy that they played one of the "Big Three" today! :biggrin:

Now we need the rest of them back in the rotation

Uh...Strikes was played last Friday...

"Podia" is the correct plural?

I believe "podia" and "podiums" are both words.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.