Author Topic: TPIR in HD  (Read 8618 times)

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
Re: TPIR in HD
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2009, 11:12:57 AM »

Here's a good example of what we're dealing with:

In a perfect world, we want EVERYTHING that is of any importance inside the INNERMOST lines in all directions.  Looking at the top of the image, you see two lines going across.  The lower of those two lines is the true safe area.  Some television sets will show up to what's within that UPPER line, but for titles, to make sure almost ALL televisions will display the information, you want it inside the LOWER line.

On the right side, you've got the same double line configuration near the edge.  This the HD safe area.  Going further toward the center of the screen, you see another pair of lines.  This is the SD safe area.

As this shot is framed, if you're watching this image on an SD set, the man's left shoulder will be cut off, roughly where the innermost right lines are.  His left ear will be near the right edge of the screen.

It appears as though Price's new light box is pretty much BETWEEN the two outermost safe area lines, which is why they're not showing up well at all.  At the very least, the squares and chase lights should be within the second-to-outermost line all the way around the screen.  For an SD viewer, this would mean you'd only see the top and bottom, but at least you'd see all of that.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline visualbasicwizard

• Walking the Golden Road
  • 2005-2014
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2009, 12:31:40 PM »

This is  the framing guides I used from Illustrator.  How's this work without the garnish in the sides?

Check out my CSS signs: CSS images
My CSS calculator: http://www.vbwcomputers.com/CSS/calculator.php

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2009, 12:41:24 PM »

This is  the framing guides I used from Illustrator.  How's this work without the garnish in the sides?

Based on the template I posted, your safe area representation looks accurate, and your depiction of how the show is currently displaying the box (which makes it so hard to see) seems pretty dead on to me.

Offline spunker88

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2009, 12:41:20 AM »
Thats probably all they can do with the lightbox unless they wanted to make it look ugly for HD viewers. CBS is basically as of June 2009 only sending out an HD feed. Many cable networks have a SD feed and an HD feed. You will notice the HD logo icon on their HD channel. Ex: Discovery channel

There are still some shows in SD. If you view OTA you get it in HD, its your choice on a converter box to chop off the sides or to allow the whole picture with black bars on top and bottom.

If you have cable, your cable company it receiving the feed from your local affiliate in HD, and then chopping off the sides to make it 4:3 down converting it to analog/480i and sending it to your house. On my cable company, viewing in SD via the SD channel on my cable box shows the top and bottom parts of the lightbox.
Picture: 1978 Showcase Dedicated to the Dob

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2009, 09:50:14 PM »
I might as well jump in with my thoughts.  Here is the current border

It's nice but you can't see the light bulbs.  And if you watch in SD, you barely see anything.  Here's my rendition of how the border should look if it remains in the 16:9 format.

This is a little better.  Now here's a border that could work for both the HD and SD viewers.

I thought a continuation of the border would work better than just having blank space at the sides.  And this is how that border would look to the SD viewer.

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2009, 10:35:48 PM »
This is a little better.  Now here's a border that could work for both the HD and SD viewers.

Just when I thought I'd seen everything...I can only say two words:  "Positively not."

This would most definitely be VISIBLE to all of us.  Nothing against your creative prowess of course, but the word for this design is "terrible."
Bazinga!

Offline visualbasicwizard

• 2005-2014
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2009, 11:12:25 PM »
^^ See above image

This kinda reminds me of the Match Game light box.

Check out my CSS signs: CSS images
My CSS calculator: http://www.vbwcomputers.com/CSS/calculator.php

Offline 1DC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2009, 01:53:45 PM »
Hmm. At the start of season 38, I've always watched the show on my local CBS station's HD signal on my converter box and have the box set on widescreen. When the show starts, I can barely see the light bulbs on the left and right sides of my 20 year old non-HD tv.

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2009, 08:31:36 PM »
In order to see the lightbox in full on an SD/4:3 TV, wouldn't the picture have to be squished, or the lightbox itself made in a 4:3 ratio, thus making it looking very odd on a 16:9 ratio TV b/c you'd have two "sidebars" of picture outside the lightbox.

And I can also so that I have a 16:9 HDTV with HD subscription. Channel 603, which is CBSHD, shows the entire lightbox on screen - a 16:9 ratio. If i switch to channel 32, the SD CBS channel, the lightbox is cut off at the top & bottom, and the picture doesn't fill the screen - just the centre. In other words, there are black bars on the sides of the picture.
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2009, 08:51:52 PM »
In order to see the lightbox in full on an SD/4:3 TV, wouldn't the picture have to be squished, or the lightbox itself made in a 4:3 ratio, thus making it looking very odd on a 16:9 ratio TV b/c you'd have two "sidebars" of picture outside the lightbox.

And I can also so that I have a 16:9 HDTV with HD subscription. Channel 603, which is CBSHD, shows the entire lightbox on screen - a 16:9 ratio. If i switch to channel 32, the SD CBS channel, the lightbox is cut off at the top & bottom, and the picture doesn't fill the screen - just the centre. In other words, there are black bars on the sides of the picture.

Would you mind rewording that so it makes some sense?  Here, I'll do it for you:

"In order to see the lightbox fully on a 4:3 TV, wouldn't the picture have to be squished, or the light box itself made in a 4:3 aspect ratio?  Seems like doing that would make it look odd on a 16:9 TV because you'd have two pillarboxes [at least I think that's what PF07 is talking about] on either side."

"And you can also get a subscription to an HD cable package.  My CBS HD station shows the entire light box on the screen, in a 16:9 ratio.  If I switch over to CBS standard def, the edges of the screen are cut off all the way around and there are black pillarboxes on the sides."

Making any part of the show specifically for a 4:3 audience at this point wouldn't make sense to me (which isn't to say that they shouldn't keep the 4:3 safe zone in mind when framing shots).  A good chunk if not most of the CBS audience today is likely to be watching the show on 16:9 screens (this poster included), and if they put a 4:3 light box up it'll look strange to those of us with widescreen TVs.  The network should just start letterboxing the show like FOX does with House and Fringe.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 08:56:10 PM by brtsimpson142 »
Bazinga!

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2009, 11:37:45 PM »
What I said made sense, with the exception of one part where my mind wandered:
And I can also so that I have a...

There's no need to re-write my entire post like I'm an idiot.

To make it simple...
CBSHD (Ch.603) - full lightbox on screen. Show is airing in a 16:9 ratio
CBS SD (Ch.32) - black bars on the left & right parts of the screen. Lightbox is "light bars" on top & bottom. Show is airing in a 4:3 ratio.

Both of these CBS channels are WBZ Boston, just one is SD & one is HD.

Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2009, 12:28:10 AM »
What I said made sense, with the exception of one part where my mind wandered.  There's no need to re-write my entire post like I'm an idiot.

I didn't say you were an idiot.  What I said was that your post as written didn't make sense.  That was poor wording on my part, since it would've been more accurate to say your post as written was difficult to understand (especially once you referenced specific channel numbers, which made no sense to me since I'm not from Boston), unlike most of your writing which is fairly straightforward.  This post in particular however was indeed very poorly written.

You'll notice that I wasn't really disagreeing with what you were saying.  As far as I'm concerned what you were saying only reinforces the same idea I've been putting out since June:  we should all have letterboxed feeds, we be looking at the standard-def station or the high-def one.  Takes the guesswork out of things for the show and at least makes it possible--maybe not ideal, but possible--for folks with 4:3 TVs to enjoy the entire image the way we HD folks can.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 12:32:02 AM by brtsimpson142 »
Bazinga!

Offline TPIRFAN1964

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2009, 06:02:55 PM »
Here again, I will say that I watch TPIR in HD through DISH Network.  For a reason I don't know, on my channel guide, I can receive local HD channels on their respective channel # (ABC - 6) (CBS- 8) (NBC - 13) (FOX - 59).

But also, the same exact HD channels show up here:

WRTV (ABC)  Channel 5180
WISH TV (CBS)  Channel 5181
WTHR TV (NBC)  Channel 5182
WXIN (FOX)  Channel 5183

Would watching TPIR in HD on Channel 5181, make any difference than watching it on it's normal channel? Myself, I don't believe so.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2009, 12:55:54 AM »

Would watching TPIR in HD on Channel 5181, make any difference than watching it on it's normal channel? Myself, I don't believe so.

Make any difference in what way?

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2009, 06:54:30 AM »

HD is different than SD, so I don't see how it couldn't/wouldn't make a difference.  If you have an HD TV with HD service, you should watch the HD channel to receive the best picture.