Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 11/05/2009 (Ceremonial PRICE 7000*)  (Read 64513 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 11/05/2009 (Ceremonial PRICE 7000*)
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2009, 03:09:45 AM »
Think what you all will about Justine, but I think the bottom line to this discussion is this: CBS, Fremantle, etc. had a full three months since this show went into the can to check out Justine's eligibility - or lack thereof. Same for the other eight that got called down. That should be a routine thing. If they've found nothing untoward by now I'd say it's very likely they never will. Thus, Justine is considered an eligible contestant for this episode.

I'll say this, however: Justine's damn lucky she didn't end up with the consolation prizes. She did set herself up for the kill, and if that $1 bid had been properly One-upped by Vemal (as Jolene did in the 4th One-Bid - loved the reaction), we'd be talking more about that.

Offline CPOkilroy

• Outside in Line
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2009, 04:25:51 AM »
I'll say this, however: Justine's damn lucky she didn't end up with the consolation prizes. She did set herself up for the kill, and if that $1 bid had been properly One-upped by Vemal (as Jolene did in the 4th One-Bid - loved the reaction), we'd be talking more about that.

Thank you!

Shame on Vemal for not banishing Justine to the FFBC with the appropriate $2 bid!  I hope she realizes what a mess she's gotten us into.

Also, say what you will about Evie, but he was my personal favorite contestant of the day.  He was great with all of his Redd Foxx-isms (clutching his heart and shouting "This is the big one!"), and he deserved better than the bum deal he got in Bonus Game.  (On the other hand, I have no explanation for his choosing to stay with .30 in the SCSD.)  Best of luck with your Bucket List, buddy.

Loved the "Pound cake!" chants in Grand Game today.  Heather was a fantastic contestant, and that $10,000 win was the highlight of the show along with the classic Showcase cues.  (LONG LIVE THE CLASSIC CUES!!!! :-D)

And finally, I may have missed this in the comments somewhere, but that bicycle in the old clip from the second Showcase was an EXERCISE bicycle, so wouldn't it have been more appropriate to offer a home gym rather than a motorcycle?

Offline PriceRox

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2009, 09:21:38 AM »
Think what you all will about Justine, but I think the bottom line to this discussion is this: CBS, Fremantle, etc. had a full three months since this show went into the can to check out Justine's eligibility - or lack thereof.

Well, I am not sure what fine line there is for someone who has been lucky enough to be backstage at CBS or Price is Right to be selected as a contestant, but it certainly probably isn't the best choice to if you have any reason to avoid suspicion.  ("Plinko was rigged," "Perfect Showcase Bid")   Obviously if she was backstage she knows someone at CBS and it would seem that it would be a conflict of interest.

In Price is Right's defense, it is certainly logical that they weren't aware of her backstage presence, but with Drew being so Mac-savvy, there is little to no doubt that he knew who she was.  (Especially considering that he Twittered about her presence on the show!)

Does anyone else find it a bit odd that she happened to be not only a contestant, but a contestant on the widely publicized 7,000th show?

Offline PaladinTornado

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2009, 10:38:07 AM »
Bonus Game was lost for the first time since May 30, 2008.  It was only one of two games to have a perfect record last season (the other being Shell Game).

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2009, 10:46:13 AM »

...with insane trip prices...

Not everyone buys their African safari on Expedia.com. I dare you to find a trip like that, of equal quality, for least than $10,000. Quite frankly, if I had been the contestant, I would have picked India. I knew instantly that Australia was the cheapest of the three.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline calhoun24

• In the Audience
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2009, 11:09:22 AM »
I know I'm putting my head into a hornet's nest here, but I have to chime in.  According to her own video blog, she was not given a day pass by anyone at CBS.  She and her sisters got tickets the regular way: by going to the studio and waiting for tickets. In fact, they couldn;t get the early show that day, so they got the later show - which happened to be this episode.

As for her eligibility, she is not being employed by CBS, so she's clean there. As for her shot of the big wheel - she was probably visiting and had a chance to have a photo done with it. She's a fan like any of us, for heaven sake. I'm giving her and the staff the benefit of the doubt.

Offline Dietevil

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2009, 11:09:51 AM »
I would actually argue that Most Expensive was designed to be won.

Flights to Africa are generally expensive.

I would have chosen Africa just based on the dates.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 12:45:20 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2009, 11:45:40 AM »
So, this is that 7000th show that some people were wondering...

Most Expensive: If there's one thing game shows like PYL tell me, is that safaris are expensive. That was my sure pick (and also because I didn't have a clue about the others). As soon as I saw that huge $18,184 for the safari and the other prices were revealed, I said, "Gregory done blew almost $40,000 worth of trips!"

Grand Game: Wow. I would have blew it by picking the Quick Shine. Shined away my grand.

Lucky Seven: Boy, do I miss paranoia.

Any Number: I just had this feeling the price of the Vega was going to be the price of the F-150. Whatever the price was, I kept saying 2 for the second number and winced when Jolene said 3.

Bonus Game: I feel stupid becaue I thought Grocery Game was next. Now I feel disappointed at that painful loss.

One Bid 6: Never heard of ijustine, nor do I watch L&O:SVU.

Double Prices: At least I got this and Any Number right. I wasn't sure what to pick, but I was hoping ijustine got ir right.

Showcase Showdown 2: "Staying on 30? Yeah. Good Luck."

Showcases: Ah, a nice retrospective of the first pair of Showcases, with the classic cues to boot.

Maybe because I think I was expecting more, but don't know what, I think this seems as good as a regular episode. Also, after reading about ijustine, I had a feeling there was going to be some bruhaha about her eligibility. Hey, I was thinking about that, too.
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2009, 12:32:13 PM »
Although, speaking of staging, where was Bonus' reveal today? I have a feeling (and I hope I'm right) that the reason we didn't see the usual Bonus reveal was because of the special circumstance of the previous game, Any Number, being on the turntable. If anyone is reading, Bonus loses a lot of its charm without its special reveal (now that we've gotten used to it), so please bring it back.

I have a bad feeling that the Bonus Game reveal change might be permanent because of how unusual it now is (remember when the Hi-Lo reveal was changed), and because Drew keeps "forgetting" to explain the game before the bonus prize is displayed. I really hope not though!!!

I agree with you about the loss of its charm.

I have an idea about Lucky $even gameplay though. I'll try to bring it up (it probably already has been) next time the game is played.

Offline Peters76

• Outside in Line
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2009, 01:46:25 PM »
For the 7000th show, it felt too much like an ordinary show, but there were some good things.

Most Expensive: Are you kidding me?  You start off a special show with trips?  Nice trips, sure, but not the way to start.  I knew Gregory was a loser when he picked Australia, but I didn't think Africa would be more expensive than India.

Grand Game: Great win, and love the reaction from Heather.

Lucky Seven: I liked the idea of playing with the $1000 stacks.  Too bad it was a loss

Any number: Now that was a tragedy, she was so close.  All the numbers I thought could be the second number in the price of the truck were in the piggy bank.

Bonus Game: I thought the price of that tray was higher.

Double prices: That was an odd prize to give away in a pricing game.  Save the watches (Even a Rolex) for one bids.

SCSD 2: Obviously Evie doesn't watch the show.

Showcases: Like this part of the show best.  Enjoyed the classic showcase cues and how they linked the prizes back to the first episode.
My bids:
first showcase: $20,000
second showcase: $30,000

Overall, it was disappointing for such a special occasion, both from a limited amount of winning and the average prizes.  I would have started by making the Rolex watch the first one bid, then have The Golden Road up first and playing for a high end luxury car, maybe a Mercedes-Benz S Class.  Save the India and Africa trips and play One Right Price for them later in the show.  And they could have done better than a Mazda in the showcase.

Offline Grammar-Nazi

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Beware my red pen....
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2009, 02:26:01 PM »
What a monumental disappointment for the 7,000th show.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle." Garrison Keillor

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2009, 03:22:33 PM »
A little update to the iJustine a saga.  Rich Fields, via Twitter, actually asked her how she previously got backstage with the wheel.  Justine said the following:

Quote from: iJustine
haha! That photo was when a friend was on a late night show. I just ran over and took a pic with the old wheel b4 we left!

Offline voguevixen

• In Contestant's Row
    • Twitter
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2009, 03:56:36 PM »
I saw that.  Rich gets right to the point, lol.

BUT IS IT THE TRUTH?!?!   ;)  (no shifty-eyed smiley, heh)
I apologise in advance.

Offline calhoun24

• In the Audience
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2009, 06:03:57 PM »
A little update to the iJustine a saga.  Rich Fields, via Twitter, actually asked her how she previously got backstage with the wheel.  Justine said the following:

Looks like I called it. Ha!

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2009, 10:29:19 PM »
I noticed in the clips from the first episode's showcases that you could see Anitra in one of them, but if Janice was in there, she was shown only from the shoulders down.

Why do I have the feeling that this was not "accidental"?

-- Don