Author Topic: Has anyone ever played Cover Up with the correct strategy?  (Read 9179 times)

Offline Mewtwo

• In Contestant's Row
Has anyone ever played Cover Up with the correct strategy?
« on: November 09, 2009, 11:06:41 AM »
Every time I see Cover Up being played it makes my blood boil.  Everyone tries to get all the numbers right right away, gets 2 or 3 right, and ends up screwing themselves over by leaving themselves a 1-in-3 or 1-in-4 chance at guessing the tens or ones digit.

Has anyone ever actually gotten on the show, played cover up, and intentionally tried to get only one number at a time right as to increase their chances in the latter part of the game?

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Re: Has anyone ever played Cover Up with the correct strategy?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 11:13:10 AM »
I direct you to the April 25, 1997 playing.  Also, check out the February 18, 1998 one.  The thing is most people think the easiest way to win the car is to get as many numbers right as early in the game as possible, which is actually what you don't want in that game.  Why they think that, I have no idea.  But then again, this is like the Zero Rule in Ten Chances; most people don't think to do it unless they have watched the game for a while and figured out its tricks and then use them to win the game.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 11:22:38 AM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 11:46:03 AM »
Every time I see Cover Up being played it makes my blood boil.  Everyone tries to get all the numbers right right away, gets 2 or 3 right, and ends up screwing themselves over by leaving themselves a 1-in-3 or 1-in-4 chance at guessing the tens or ones digit.

In their defense, they are instructed to try to get all the numbers right straight-away.  Given that most people actually DON'T spend great lengths of time analyzing proper strategy for every single game on The Price is Right, I don't blame them for doing what they're instructed to do.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline scottycmh

• In the Audience
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 11:49:04 AM »
It seems as though so many games, including IUFB, contestants don't employ much strategy.  In IUFB, it would rarely be wise to bid $1 unless one is the last bidder.  Also, if the last bidder, there is no reason not to bid $1 if one is bidding lower than the rest of the bids, and there is no reason to bid $500 higher than the highest bid when the last bidder (unless the person knows the price for sure and is going for the bonus).

Arguably, there seems to be the rule for when there is a prize like 2 motorcycles in a game like Double Prices.  At least every viewing I have seen lately has had the price end in an even number for these 2-of-the-same-prize situations.  That's Too Much! generally has a wider gap than previous choices when reaching the right choice (although I would have still lost on a playing from last week employing that rule!).

A lot of strategy seems not to get used on the show...

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 12:24:58 PM »
Granted there are a few different ways to use a bit of strategy in this game, however I also believe those methods can also easily fail a person depending on how the game board is set up.

One common strategy that floats around here is to purposely get the first number wrong, with the hope of getting one of the other four numbers correct on the first round. While the likelihood of getting one of the four remaining correct is fairly good, the chance of getting them all wrong is just as likely. Let's take for example a fictional winning price of $21,358. If a person were to purposely place the wrong number in the first position and then hope to correctly pick the second number, which has a 1 in 3 odds, it could be a sound move. However, if the second number has an tight range of numbers (such as 0, 1, 3), and the contestant chooses incorrectly, the game could end right there. The getting the first number right in the first round guarantees there will be a second round of play, and in the second round the odds of getting the second number correct (presuming that it was incorrect in the first round) becomes 50/50.

The contestant in the April 25th playing didn't appear to be consciously using a particular form of strategy, as she seemed to be relying on the audience more than her own intuition. Nonetheless, the way she chose her guesses ended up working perfectly for her.

Comparing the game play of Cover Up to 10 Chances is uneven in my opinion. As most avid viewers know, the long standing "unwritten" rule in Ten Chances is that the last number in the prices is 0. Generally, this rule applies to all three prizes in the game, and if the player is aware of this, it should be fairly easy to win the first two prizes in 5 guesses or less. Again, presuming that the numbers in the price of the car are not set up to make the guesses difficult, winning the car should be fairly easy with the remaining chances. From this prospective, I believe winning at Ten Chances is much easier than winning at Cover Up (which is probably why we see more of Cover Up these days than Ten Chances).
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 12:32:35 PM »
Comparing the game play of Cover Up to 10 Chances is uneven in my opinion.  As most avid viewers know, the long standing "unwritten" rule in Ten Chances is that the last number in the prices is 0.

I wasn't comparing the gameplay, I was comparing the "tricks" that only us would know.  Also, I don't think avid viewers would know about the zero rule unless they paid close attention or one of us flat-out told them.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline ClassicG

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 02:24:26 PM »
Quote from: goldroadfanatic
Also, I don't think avid viewers would know about the zero rule unless they paid close attention or one of us flat-out told them.

And it will remain a secret until those future contestants can figure it out on their own. As members of the website, we are not allowed to release any tips and tricks to the public. So, keep it "hush hush."

To be blunt, I don't think the tricks we once learned through the Bob Barker regime will work on Carey's edition. Wait until today's recap so that Joe Capitano can spill the beans. Looks like us old dogs better be ready to learn some new tricks...

*scratches ear with hind foot like a dog to get rid of ticks*

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 03:05:02 PM »
From this prospective, I believe winning at Ten Chances is much easier than winning at Cover Up (which is probably why we see more of Cover Up these days than Ten Chances).

That is 100% a timing issue.  It has nothing to do with difficulty.

Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 03:08:03 PM »
Well if they actually enforced the 10 second time limit for writing down your guess, time wouldn't be a problem with this game. Quite frankly I've seen Cover Up run on for just as long as Ten Chances, at times.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 03:14:21 PM by Off_trak »

Offline penny_ante

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Old Penny board c 1982
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 03:27:35 PM »
And it will remain a secret until those future contestants can figure it out on their own. As members of the website, we are not allowed to release any tips and tricks to the public. So, keep it "hush hush."

Wha--? Could you clarify this? Are you referring to the show's official site? I'm not a member of the official show site (and don't intend to be), so I don't know what the rules are there.

I can see why they would make that assertion, but really, I only have time to follow one TPiR fan site. I'm choosing to spend that time where I can have unfettered discussions--here.
Penny Ante
1979-2002
RIP, Old Friend

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 03:45:54 PM »

To be blunt, I don't think the tricks we once learned through the Bob Barker regime will work on Carey's edition. Wait until today's recap so that Joe Capitano can spill the beans. Looks like us old dogs better be ready to learn some new tricks...

A few new tricks are certainly welcomed. Although many here dislike that many of Roger's setups are falling by the wayside, I for one like the fact that you actually need to be aware of the prices of the items, and not that it should end in a zero or a five so that you end up with an automatic 5 Plinko chips, etc etc...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 03:48:22 PM by Off_trak »

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 04:08:21 PM »
Wait until today's recap so that Joe Capitano can spill the beans.

Leave my name out of this. I'm innocent.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 04:13:34 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline voguevixen

• In Contestant's Row
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 04:29:16 PM »
I agree with this.  The longer you drag out the game, the more you eliminate wrong choices.  It's obvous.

Also, my husband (who works for NASA and likes to PRETEND TPIR is beneath him yet always seems to linger a good 15 minutes or so before leaving for work) agrees.

You should see him go ballistic at the bad clock game players "Well it's a simple binary blah blah blah blah"
I apologise in advance.

Offline BuddyTom

• Double Showcase Winner
  • It says what it means.
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 06:38:53 PM »
You should see him go ballistic at the bad clock game players "Well it's a simple binary blah blah blah blah"

My best friend's husband said the same thing. He doesn't work for NASA, but he did go to MIT. Geeks. ;)

As far as a "correct" strategy, the only correct strategy is the one that wins the game. Back when the prizes were a little bit more predictable, you could just memorize things, but sometimes even the most seasoned TPIR fans are taking shots in the dark.
BuddyTom
CSS Host emeritus (served 2006-10)

-- Freude!

Offline voguevixen

• In Contestant's Row
    • Twitter
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 08:22:08 PM »
Back when the prizes were a little bit more predictable, you could just memorize things, but sometimes even the most seasoned TPIR fans are taking shots in the dark.

Spoken for truth!  Before I went to a taping a couple months ago I thought "Oh I'm going to study up on all the prices of stuff" and was stunned to learn the prices of, say, a "dirt bike" can range from $2,000-$12,000 depending on the model.  SERIOUSLY?!?!

(BTW - I didn't make it on stage but "my" episode airs the 16th, next Monday.  I'm the roly-poly doofus in a Sounders outfit and horn-rimmed glasses that nobody will hi-five on the right hand side of the auditorium.  Right on the aisle.)
I apologise in advance.