Author Topic: Interesting Tid-bits  (Read 3948 times)

Offline TPIRFAN1964

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Interesting Tid-bits
« on: December 07, 2009, 07:52:34 PM »
I am posting this here, because it does, IMHO, deal with TPIR.  But, I just had conversation with Randy West over on Facebook.  I added him as a friend.  He told me some interesting things about when he was with TPIR during Rod's illness and after his passing.  And with his permission, I am allowed to share some of what he said to me.  

- When asked if he attended Rod's funeral, he replied that he attended the memorial in California but not the actual funeral in Texas.

- Also, he told me that the person officiating at Rod's memorial, was former Wheel of Fortune letter turner and very dear friend, Susan Stafford.

- In regards to being the announcer of TPIR, he said and this is a quote in his own words  "Roger wanted me and there was no objection from Fremantle, Syd or Bob."

If I am corrrect, Randy said this was in the book about Johnny & Rod.

If any of the above is already known, I apologize.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 07:54:37 PM by TPIRFAN1964 »

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Interesting Tid-bits
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 08:35:41 PM »
- In regards to being the announcer of TPIR, he said and this is a quote in his own words  "Roger wanted me and there was no objection from Fremantle, Syd or Bob."

Interesting.  If there was no objection by Bob or Fremantle, I wonder why Rich was chosen to replace Rod.

Offline TPIRFAN1964

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 08:45:53 PM »
Interesting.  If there was no objection by Bob or Fremantle, I wonder why Rich was chosen to replace Rod.

You're guess is as good as mine. Randy would not disclose the reason, and I said I would respect his wishes.

Offline JoePlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 09:06:09 PM »
More than likely CBS.
"If we want the show to stay on, you have to support the show.  How can we lose an American classic?"  - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline TPIRFAN1964

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 09:13:59 PM »
Randy went onto say this as we continued discussing the issue after I relayed the comment from priceguy:

Randy:
"Roger wanted me and there was no objection from Fremantle, Syd or Bob. But there was an objection from another staffer that led to further auditions until they ultimately found someone, Rich Fields, who nobody objected to. Rich was part of that ongoing, extended search. I'm happy he got the gig that he enjoys so much, and I'm thrilled to have worked with Bob Barker, utilizing the skills Johnny O. taught me"

Randy says he obviously wasn't in the meetings where he was being discussed. He got this story second-hand from those who were, and has no reason to doubt its accuracy.

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 11:45:46 PM »
Randy went onto say this as we continued discussing the issue after I relayed the comment from priceguy:

Randy:
"Roger wanted me and there was no objection from Fremantle, Syd or Bob. But there was an objection from another staffer that led to further auditions until they ultimately found someone, Rich Fields, who nobody objected to. Rich was part of that ongoing, extended search. I'm happy he got the gig that he enjoys so much, and I'm thrilled to have worked with Bob Barker, utilizing the skills Johnny O. taught me"

Randy says he obviously wasn't in the meetings where he was being discussed. He got this story second-hand from those who were, and has no reason to doubt its accuracy.

What other staffer could have had such power?

I have to admit I'm pretty surprised. I long assumed Bob had been the one to snub Randy.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Online JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 12:16:27 AM »
I'd have to think money had to do with not going with Randy or Burton.  More experience would mean more pay.

Offline TPIRFAN1964

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 01:45:04 AM »
What other staffer could have had such power?

I cannot say who it was, Randy did not disclose that information. 

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 02:18:47 AM »
I'm more surprised that there WAS someone on staff besides Bob and Roger who would have clout enough to have a voice in the announcer-selection process than anything else.  The only name that makes sense (and I'm just guessing) would be Kathy "Fingers" Greco.
Bazinga!

Offline Demerolguy

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 12:19:22 PM »
It could have been Fingers, but let us not forget the clout a director has.  Perhaps, Bart, who would be working closely with the announcer during rehearsals and the shows had a lot to say in it.

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 01:41:34 PM »
Only other name that maybe makes sense is Sue MacIntyre.  Wasn't she the "Executive in Charge of Production" at that time?

Offline KJPatrick2000

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 01:52:04 PM »
Priceguy... who is that a picture of ... the one under your name?  Is it Bill Cullen?  and if so, when was he there with that old turntable background?  I know he visited the set of TPiR to publicize his new game show, "Child's Play" but he was on a sofa and not standing. Thanks

Offline Pushover72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 04:55:22 PM »
Randy was always my favorite and they used him a lot.  So Bob and Roger must have been OK with him.  However, suddenly they started trying out more announcers, so it does seem like someone behind the scenes wanted to try someone else.  They used Burton a lot then, but he was atrocious with his exagerrated announcing style.

Maybe Rich was a compromise between the fractions who wanted Randy and those that wanted someone else..  I was surprised when they hired him.  I was really expecting Randy to get the job.

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 05:20:10 PM »
Priceguy... who is that a picture of ... the one under your name?  Is it Bill Cullen?  and if so, when was he there with that old turntable background?  I know he visited the set of TPiR to publicize his new game show, "Child's Play" but he was on a sofa and not standing. Thanks

It's an edited picture I made in MS Paint.  The background is from TNPiR in 1973 and the Bill Cullen picture is from the early 80s.  Here is the video of Bill.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btxhNaeppcI

Offline KJPatrick2000

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 08:01:47 PM »
Thanks, and what a great clip.  Legendary mc's, one and all.