Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/05/2010  (Read 33583 times)

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/05/2010
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2010, 07:33:31 AM »
Here's my take on Switch.  If Bob was hosting, both prizes would be awarded without debate.  Do I think it's right?  Maybe.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Robair

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Is this thing on?
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2010, 08:36:01 AM »
Why was Amber doing her wave bye-bye when the prize on the monitor wasn't a trip? Poor girl shorted out on that entire segment, but I loved her reaction shot.

Call me in agreement for the technical win, too, since other players have been allowed to switch the prices back.

And how much more can we rush the show open? Rich started a split second before the music today! Next you know the show will come on and he'll already be talking.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 08:40:10 AM by Robair »
We'll think of a signature. Don't worry.

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2010, 09:21:44 AM »
I think Drew did the right thing in Switch?, even if it wasn't "technically" a win.   It would've been awkward to have them switch the prices after the mistaken reveal when Amber was still beside her prop and Lanisha had barely moved from hers (which is really the whole point of the game), so treating it as a 'stay' was probably the right thing for the situation.

Drew said "Switch!" about 8 times to Amber; I think he could see from a mile away what was about to happen.   :P

Offline ThereseW

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2010, 09:28:03 AM »

In a way, I'm almost glad Roger doesn't work at the show anymore.  I'd hate for his name to be associated with this garbage.

I wonder if Roger still worked there and was forced to put up with Drew's actions and requests and CBS's apparent mandate to let Drew do anything he wants, if he would have quit in disgust.

It's probably in Roger's benefit they let him go (but only if they gave him some severance!)

Offline chad1m

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2010, 12:26:42 PM »
I like the idea of Drew doing something positive and funny during the grocery reveals... this was not it. Wen I started watching, I thought he was going to open or try to "use" each product as quickly as he could, which might've been funny, but tearing everything apart and making some of them unrecognizable just wasn't fun. To me, it's like rolling a car out for Lucky Seven and the car has scratches on the windows, a headlight's knocked out and the paint is chipping off on the hood. It's very poor presentation and I hope Drew will learn that this crosses over the boundary of funny.

Offline jokerz

• 10/17/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2010, 12:30:52 PM »
Why was it neccessary for Drew to trash the grocery items in Hi-Lo? Is that really good for the show? If Drew's getting bored or aggravated from hosting the show, then it's time for him to go. I don't understand how this can make the show any better for maybe a first time viewer. Just disgusting! I watch the show now just to see the line ups of the pricing games played and could care less about Drew. I basically fast forward through the show unless I see somethng new or different. It's just not like it used to be. I've never once fast forwarded through a Bob Barker show.

Offline coulsonc

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2010, 12:53:10 PM »
Here's the thing I don't think Drew gets. TPIR should be a classy, fun-for-the-whole-family type of show. It is not some cheeseball reality show or some fly-by-night time filler like Power of 10. It is one of the most enduring and beloved shows in television history.

Bob never once... not once... did anything on camera to detract from the show's reputation for quality and consistency. Sure, he laughed and had fun with the contestants but always without boundaries. And he never, ever, ever made fun of the prizes or the games. He gave away cotton candy machines and Corvettes with equal enthusiasm and respect.

The bottom line is, Drew thinks Price is a big, corny joke. He never watched the show before being hired as host, and he clearly doesn't love or respect the show as an American institution. I contrast him with Rich. Rich isn't perfect, but he loved and respected the show for years, and being hired as announcer was a dream come true for him. He takes his responsibilities seriously and does his very best. Drew seems to think he is somehow "better" than the show and, at times, seems to be embarrassed to be a part of it.

Call it Drew-bashing, I call it telling the truth. It's time for him to go.

Offline chad1m

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2010, 01:58:05 PM »
Bob never once... not once... did anything on camera to detract from the show's reputation for quality and consistency.
Besides assaulting numerous props when they didn't function properly?

Offline ElectricPeterTork

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2010, 03:35:15 PM »
Besides assaulting numerous props when they didn't function properly?

shhhhh...

Don't mention Bob doing something they would crucify Drew for doing.

Bob = Good

Drew = bad!
Repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax."

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2010, 03:40:44 PM »
As Axl pointed out before, it's a double standard for one to criticize Drew for doing something but when someone else brings up a moment where Bob acted in a similar manner, the Drew critic brushes it off and says, "Oh, that was just one thing,"  and moves on.

I can also think of times where Bob said or acted in the same way Drew does and we criticize Drew for it without acknowledging that Bob did that too, one of them was from the show's so-called "Golden Era" of the mid 1980's.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 03:46:03 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2010, 03:54:52 PM »
One Bid 1: Who's George Silva, and do I want him following me around Los Angeles while I order food?

Pick-a-Number: I would have 7 myself. That banter about having Lanisha "do it" instead of Drew was confusingly funny for just a couple of seconds.

Pathfinder: I still think Drew jinxs the game whenever he says the game depends on one of the prizes. Case in point: "The Dreaded Panini Press." I never noticed that any price that ended in 5 or 0 would've been sure traps for said contestant. I understand why some of you all are upset about Fingers' setups like this.

Swap Meet (or "Match Meet"): Swapping cookware for power tools? Okay.

Showcase Showdown 1: Yes, what would have happened if Julian got the dollar....

Hi-Lo: "What the bloody [heck]?" I can understand Drew's notorious ways of modeling the products, but this one takes the cake, icing, and yogurt. The only thing I could think about was the way Bob modeled the Andes with sophistication, compared to this. My first pick would have been the cups; I don't know if I would have picked the garlic bread early as well; and I would have definitely avoided the energy drink.

Switch?: Well, I would have switched as well. I just didn't seem maid service (for a year) would cost more than a vacation in Disneyland. But then I figured this is Disneyland, maybe I should have left them alone. After reading the posts, I am now also confused whether the technical was a good thing. I think Bob would have called it a technical. What's done is done here.

One Bid 6: Man, I didn't think tires like that were that much. I wanted Julie to bid 1, but her 2100 seemed almost like a suicide bid with only a $100 margin. Too bad.

Money Game: That 62 was calling my name. It worked.

Showcases: One thing about those trip monitors: The way they open up to reveal the Harley. Julian's bid of $25,000 seemed a little too low, even with that boat. I probably would have said $29,000 (and still lose).
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Offline SpunkyMunky

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2010, 04:15:56 PM »
What a messy Hi-Lo game! I like Rich's response to Drew after Drew had made a big mess: "That'll teach you!"

As for the Switch? mistake, I have nothing against the contestant, but I don't think she should have been awarded the prizes. As it has already been said in previous posts, she said to switch the prices before Amber had accidentally revealed the price. I do recall a contestant or two changing their decision, but I don't think it's something that should be encouraged by awarding the player the prizes because she might have changed her mind. What's next?--Drew asking the contestant each time just before each reveal: "Is that your final answer?"

Offline supergoten

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2010, 09:44:06 PM »
Call it immature, but I think it is amusing when Drew bashes the prizes, only in the sense that he's having fun with the show.

It's really no different to me than Bob kicking a game or jamming the number in on Squeeze Play, it could have just as easily damaged the set.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2010, 10:27:15 PM »
Call it immature, but I think it is amusing when Drew bashes the prizes, only in the sense that he's having fun with the show.

It's really no different to me than Bob kicking a game or jamming the number in on Squeeze Play, it could have just as easily damaged the set.

Except the things Bob was assaulting already weren't working.  It's not quite the same as spilling yogurt on the props because Rich wasn't interesting enough.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Rlotpir1972

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2010, 12:48:39 AM »
Switch?...The judge should sounded the buzzer several times at Amber knowing she's going to botch it up.  Fortunately, although it should've been a loss, the contestant got a freebie and won.