Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/07/2010  (Read 13122 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/07/2010
« on: January 07, 2010, 02:30:20 PM »
The Price is Right - Jan. 7, 2010
Production #4984K - Taped Oct. 26, 2009

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: right to left
Handoff: Manuela

Models of the Day: Manuela Arbeláez, Gwendolyn Osborne-Smith and Rachel Reynolds
Wearing: Scala

1   Foosball Table (G&R)
CORINNE 650 PAUL 701 KEVIN 400 BRIAN *720 ($1599)

Brian plays DICE GAME for a Chevy Equinox LS (Std., 2.4l, AT, Mats)(M)

[6][5]
Rolls:   $2[6][6][2][1]
[3][2]WIN!

2   opulentitems.com Snow Scoot (G)
+Corinne *999 +Paul 899 +Kevin 1300 ELIZABETH 1200 ($1100)

Corinne plays CLIFF HANGERS for a Personal Trainer, Car Washes, and Dinners For A Year (M&R)($3907)

Chocolate Melting Pot$20$191 to 1
(Brookstone) Radar Baseball352510 to 11
(Wham-O) Snowball Blaster403010 to 21   WIN!

3   DIRECTV Satellite TV Package (M&R)
KATHERINE H. 600 +Paul 1200 +Kevin 800 Elizabeth *801 ($999)

Elizabeth plays MOST EXPENSIVE

2 Leather Recliners (G)PICK$2790   WIN!
Stainless Popcorn Cart (R)1489
(JVC) 47" LCD HDTV/iPod (M)2048

SHOWDOWN #1
$5,081Corinne1001.00*$1000*   Bonus 5   **$10,000**   Through to Showcase Round
7,326Elizabeth40 + 45.85
24,864Brian20 +   5.25

...but Corinne nearly wasted her bonus spin. Just gave it enough to get back to the starting point. Not recommended if you get in this situation.

4   Lance Vintage 150 Motorscooter (M)
Katherine H. *1500 +Paul 1600 +Kevin 1601 Katherine S. 1700 ($1599)

Katherine H., a U.S. Marine, plays for an Ashley San Marquessa Dining Group and Noritake Aegean Mist Dinnerware/Paris Stemware and Sharis Berries Dipped Fruit (R)($6201)

(3) (Milky Way) Candy Bars (Fun Size bag)$2.99   KEEPS
(5) (Ruffles) Potato Chips (10 oz)3.99
(6) (Florida's Natural) Orange Juice (64 oz)3.99   LOSS
(1) (American Beauty) Spaghetti
(2) (Barbasol) Shaving Cream
(4) (Bar Keepers Friend) Cleanser2.99

5   (Frigidaire) Glass Door Refrigerator (R)
DARWIN 12000 +Paul 1099 +Kevin 1 Katherine S. *1200 ($1699)
STUPID BIDSTUPID BID

Katherine S. plays TEN CHANCES

(Nostalgia) Peanut Butter Machine High Sierra ATQ 3 pc Luggage Set (M)($920)
WIN
WHA?

HUH?

NO!
($920)
DOH!
40 295 950 590 250 520 290 209 925 529 LOSS

We never got to the Camaro, but the numbers in the price got an accidental reveal when Drew hit one of the buttons a bit too hard.

We need a major recovery here after that wasted effort. Perhaps one of the leftovers can provide us with some relief? All we know is Paul, Kevin, or both will be supplying plenty of companionship with Mimi at the "First Four" Breakfast Club - which may not be the best of things. Kevin has the last bid, but who will make their escape?

6   Travel Accessories/(Rosetta Stone) French Language Teaching CD-ROM (G)
Darwin 150 +Paul 675 +Kevin *676 GARY 1175 ($861)
SUICIDE BID

Paul chefs off à le chez du club, tandis que Kevin échappe! Il joue FREEZE FRAME pour un voyage à Montréal (6n @ LeCanlis) (R)

12$4877
WIN!

...and I don't want any French scholars calling me on this. Take it up with Google.

SHOWDOWN #2
$1,599Katherine H.55 + 25.80Through to Showcase Round
1,735Katherine S.55 + 20.75
5,738Kevin65 +   5.70

SHOWCASE ROUND
Corinne has the honor.

SC1-Katherine H. Candy Claw Arcade Machine (R)
Water Blast Arcade Game (G&R)
Indiana Jones Pinball Machine (G)
Toyota Prius 2 (Std., Syndergy, Climate, Appl.)(M)
BID$40,500
PRICE42,304
DIFF–1,804
TOTAL$43,908
SC2-Corinne Portable Massage Table
Massages For A Year
SteamShowers Aerial Shower Unit (M)
Beachcomber Hot Tub (R)
Trip to Zurich (6n)(G)
BID$37,000
PRICE27,411
DIFFOVER
TOTAL$16,081

Today's Pricing Games: 4 for 6
Total Winnings: $99,652

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 03:39:33 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/07/2010
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 02:46:30 PM »
A 4 for 6 day ain't half bad considering the norm has been 2 or 3.  I missed Ten Chances today but from the look of things it sounds like I didn't miss much.

I have to say I was impressed with the Showcases today.  Only one trip to close out SC2 and a pretty decent car in SC1, with fun arcade games to boot.  For the first time in a long time, SC1 made me go "now there's a showcase I'd like to own!"
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 05:55:55 PM by Joe_Capitano »
Bazinga!

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 02:48:04 PM »
Katherine (after her Ten Chances) : "That was really hard."

Well, I have to disagree. I don't think there has been a two hundred dollar luggage set on TPIR in say fifteen years, perhaps, conservatively speaking? It's very hard for me to believe she didn't even think of writing 920. 

Offline Disneyfreak

• Double Showcase Winner
  • facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 02:55:05 PM »
I saw the show all the way through, my channel 2 came in on my stupid TV!

Ten Chances was a diaster and I know by now these prices on the prizes ends with a "0".  Sheesh!

Is it a rule or common now for Drew to give an answer for the contestant in Dice Game which is the first time I've seen the name w/ him?  Before that, the contestant always gives a guess when the dice lands with a "6" or a "1".    

First three games are great to see cause all were winners.

My favorite contestant was the most calmed I think Kathleen H., BTW. I think great bid for the showcase.  

I still hate to watch those over-hyperative contestants and it's one of the main reasons why I don't like to watch it all the time these days.  
Ann aka Disneyfreak
facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
Add/Follow me on Social Media!!

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 02:55:41 PM »
In Dice Game, Drew made a comment about "automatically winning" when Brian rolled the first 6.  We all know that Drew meant that he meant that Brian "got" that number right, but he needs to be careful.

Quote from: Disneyfreak
Is it a rule or common now for Drew to give an answer for the contestant in Dice Game which is the first time I've seen the name w/ him?  Before that, the contestant always gives a guess when the dice lands with a "6" or a "1".    
Drew has done that pretty much every time.  If the player rolls a 1 or a 6, Drew will just declare that number "higher" or "lower" without really asking the contestant.  Bob would always say something like, "Jane, you're rolled a 6.  I told you there were no numbers higher than 6 so the next number must be...", and he would let her say, "Lower".
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 03:33:50 PM by Joe_Capitano »
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 03:10:26 PM »
When's the last time we had a 3-0 start? It feels like forever since the game setups have been so evil lately.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: You know what? I'm giving the award to every contestant that Stan picked, because there were so many good ones today
SHOW GRADE: 3

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 03:11:12 PM »

It's been this way since he took over as host. PriceisRight.com used to have a video of Bart teaching him some of the games, one of which included Dice Game, and it seemed to me that he indicated to Drew that they were gimmies and he shouldn't ask the contestant for the (obvious) answer.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 03:42:05 PM »
When's the last time we had a 3-0 start?

November 2.

Offline mikebev25

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 04:02:34 PM »
Pretty good show today. Certainly better than the last two days.

Dice: I was afraid with the way things have been going the fourth number may be 1, but still a nice car win to lead off the show. We need those more often.

Cliffy: Interesting package today, and honestly, I can tolerate stuff like that being offered in PGs as long as they are in fee games only. SPs seemed OK, but 30 for the last one seemed a little lower than what we'd usually see for the last SP in the game.

ME: Did I miss something? I thought the recliners were the least expensive and the popcorn cart was most expensive. Shows how much I know.

SCSD1: Nice to see Corinne get the money (especially with he daughter there). She just seemed in awe.

PaP: This was tougher than usual for this game. I got the winning combination on my first try, but it was a guess.

10C: Oh, boy. Katherine didn't know the 0 rule. She didn't know a lot of realistic prices for luggage. I thought once she said 950 and even 590 early on that she was dancing around it and was going to get to it reasonably early. Then, when she said 925 for her second to last guess I thought she might get the idea. But, no. And guesses in the 200's?!?! All it reminded me of was Bob Barker saying to Clock Game Brian: "What kind of show do you think this is?" Yeah, they may be in budget mode, but TPIR is not and will not be offering 200-dollar luggage anytime soon.

OB 5/6: Does Katherine get the “epic fail of the day” or does Darwin? 12000 for that thing?!?! It’s nice, but unless it’s one of those walk-in wine refrigerator things, it won’t be anything near five digits. I have to wonder if maybe he caught up in the moment or just wasn’t paying attention. And then, from one extreme to other. 150 dollars?!?! Maybe he’s just not interested in learning French?

Freeze: That bit before the Montreal trip wasn’t horrible (although at first I personally the trip would be to Paris). But I really think they could have gotten to the trip description a little quicker. And all of this tieing in IUFBs to PG prizes can be good every once in a while, but I think they’re beginning to overdo it. Makes the show too predictable IMO.

SCs: I thought for sure we had a DOB, but SC1, are you kidding me?!?! Was one of those arcade games made of gold? Were there actually two Priuses being offered? Wow. Even SC2 was a little higher than I thought, but was realistic. Still was obvious Corinne was over.

Lineup was good. Not brilliant, but I felt like it was better than usual for a 10 Chances day.

Good show. Best out of the last few at least. Honestly thought it would be dampened by a DOB at the end (which would’ve been unfortunate with 4 wins), but GRECOIDS kept us from that.
Retired Games that should be brought back:
Barker's Bargain Bar, Buy or Sell, Superball!, Super Saver, Split Decision, Give or Keep, Hurdles, Penny Ante, Walk of Fame

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 04:16:19 PM »
Dice Game was awesome.  It's not awesome you see someone only have to make one decision.

Cliff Hangers was played very well, too.  The prize was kind of odd...but at least they had the sense to offer it in a fee game.

Ten Chances was painful to watch...there was really no excuse for not reaching the car.  Barker would have been having a conniption by about the fifth chance.

The prize plug for Freeze Frame was...uh...something they probably shouldn't try again.

It bothered me that the Water Blast game in the first showcase didn't really have a plug.  It sounded awkward when they just zipped by it.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 04:23:58 PM »
Dice Game:  Great win! :biggrin:
Most Expensive:  I was optimistic about the recliners the whole time.
SCSD#1 Bonus Spin:  Talk about winning by the skin of one's teeth!
Ten Chances:  That sure went down the toilet after getting the first prize right on the first chance! :-(
Freeze Frame:  I liked the look on Rachel's face while Rich was speaking in French.

Definitely the best show in a while, IMHO.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 04:33:28 PM »
It bothered me that the Water Blast game in the first showcase didn't really have a plug.  It sounded awkward when they just zipped by it.

It bugs me a bit too considering it seems to be uber-expensive.  A quick search puts it at 11K.  Just glossing over it would serve to minimize its value. 

How does everyone feel about the prize package in Cliff Hangers?  I gave my brother car washes for Christmas.  I drove down to my local place, forked over 50 bucks, and they gave me a book of coupons.  And meals for a year?  I bet that is a real nice gift, but it just seems.....small. 

I guess it is something different.  And I'd rather see it in Cliffy, as opposed to making someone try to price it in the showcases.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline joeyboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 05:42:50 PM »
Dice Game leading off a show just seems…..kinda weird to me. There’s really nothing wrong with it, but it still feels a little weird to me. It’s something I can get used to though.

What a craptastic prize package in Cliff Hangers. 3 prizes that just don’t go together at all. Well, maybe the personal trainer and dinners for a year, but car washes??? Honestly, who is picking these prizes?  :question:

It didn’t really make sense to me to play Most Expensive (a 3-prize quickie), after a game that is normally played for 1 prize, played for 3 prizes.

Corrine almost had what could have been, one of the most heartbreaking moments on the show.

At least Drew didn’t destroy any GP’s today.  :P

Really Darwin, $12,000 for a refrigerator?  :headbang:

Ten Chances still feels so wrong without Sam. Drew, easy on the buttons!  ;)

So, we had to waste precious time with the little bit before the Freeze Frame reveal? I didn’t really have a problem with it (even though it was a little reminiscent of the Drewcases), but the show doesn’t have the time for this kind of stuff.

That cue in the showcases before the Prius reveal was awful.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 06:01:03 PM »
Nice lineup today, pretty wacky slotting if I say so myself, but that's ok.

Dice Game was almost an "auto" win. Talk about your luck of the die.

That prize package offered in Cliff Hangers was about the most bizzare package i've ever seen.I wonder how they figured it to be $3907.  At least it wasn't offered in say, Freeze Frame.

**Caution: Trainwreck ahead. Proceed with caution** This aptly describes Katherine's playing of Ten Chances today. That was brutal.

Offline leafsfan17

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 06:29:23 PM »
4 out of 6 today. Certainly a lot better than the last few shows. However, we once again got someone who failed to understand the zero rule in Ten Chances. I really wish these people would learn that all the prices for this game usually end in zero.
Dr. Pepper: Not recommended for Skype chats