Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/09/2006  (Read 26409 times)

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/09/2006
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2006, 11:01:51 PM »
Stack the Deck seems like a really easy game, although the easiness hinges on the easiness of the grocery items. I'm kinda glad they finally used a One Right Price version of a GP/SP pricing portion of a game, but the car pricing part didn't impress me much. Flip reveal's cool, though, and I like that dark and somehwat retro-'50s looking set.

On to the showcases, which were great. The furniture showcase fakeout was awesome (luggage for a trip...in your new car!) and I'm impressed that the bids on both showcases were good, considering that they were both over $40000 (Is that the first time they've both been over $40K on daytime?)

Hope they keep up this mad pace of playing Side by Side biweekly.

Swap Meet was rather hard. Those massagers looked really cheap.

Not many people will agree with me on this,  but I don't enjoy seeing the car game 4th. It's like burning out all your Halloween candy too early. I'm not saying all non-car games are boring, far from it, but it can set us up for a really bare second half.

Offline kingpin623

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2006, 01:26:35 AM »
It's getting late and I'm getting sleep, but I at least had to comment on "Stack the Deck"...

Cool game with an unexpected reveal; correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is one of few, if not the only, game where the logo of the game is actually integral to game play.  (Possible exceptions:  Hi-Lo, the early playings of Punchboard.)

My first impression of this game was that it's a mix of Half-Off (the grocery portion) and Pocket Change, which, interestingly, was juxtaposed in the same episode.  I agree that these 2 won't likely appear together again, as the similarities are hard to ignore.  There is also a little of 2-For-1 in here, namely the strategy with which you pick your freebies.

I was a little surprised, though, by the card motif, which seems superfluous to this game except for the fact that the title of the game would be meaningless without them!  I guess I was expecting a more bonafide card game, though I did wonder what card game options were left for the producers to utilize, given that we already have poker and blackjack-themed games in the rotation.

May get to be a bit too easy for those who win 3 free digits, and perhaps conversely too hard for those who win 1 or none.

The card thing, though, is minor, and overall this will make for an interesting and somewhat different Car/Groc game.

JBK

Offline shellgame69

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2006, 10:53:49 AM »
Swap Meet: I knew the Watches were the same as the massagers.

Stack the Deck: I ssem to like this game.  I'll have to watch this more to change my opinion.  As for game play: relatively simple, and I figured Adam Won the minute he placed $18,260 on that row.

Range Game: That was close fore sure.

Pocket Change: I would definitely have trouble pricing the car.

Cliffy: UGH...I knew he lost the minute he said $55 on the shaver.

Side by Side: I had a feeling the DeEtta won the minute she placed $7145 for the boat.

Showcases: For the sebring I though Adam's 35K bid was too low.  I would have said $38,000.  The Cadillac was amazing, and I would have guessed $39,000.  I thought $40K was a bit too much.

Overall: Great show today.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2006, 12:26:32 PM »
Pricing Game Length:
The time of the game begins at the moment a prize is revealed for the game, or the game itself is shown (Swap Meet).

Swap Meet -- 2:23
Stack the Deck -- 5:13
Range Game -- 1:43
Pocket ¢hange -- 4:29
Cliff Hangers -- 2:02
Side by Side -- 1:15

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2006, 12:32:21 PM »
BIG HINT FOR PRICING GAME PREDICTION PLAYERS: As is the custom, Roger schedules pricing game lineups far in advance. As soon as a new pricing game is ready, instead of waiting for a new set of shows to be scheduled so he can play it, he'll usually go back and start replacing other games with the new game so they can start playing it. As a result, today's premiere of Stack the Deck replaced a playing of Hole in One (note how the groceries would have worked in Hole in One).

Regarding potential future setups -- why would it be so hard if the price of the car doesn't end in 5 or 0? In that case, assuming you won all three picks, you'd light up the third, fourth, and fifth digits. It's not unreasonable to expect a contestant to be able to price a car within $1,000 in order to win it.

Joe_Capitano wrote:
I'm going completely from my foggy memory at this point, but I do remember hearing her initial bid as $1100

I didn't rewind my tape to double-check or anything, but I heard her say $700. Also, while I can't be sure, my hunch is that Rich was getting his response from the control room, where there's somebody carefully listening to the bids and announcing over the headsets which contestant is the winner.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2006, 02:22:37 PM »
It'd be hard, Scott, because a lot of contestants are pretty bad at pricing cars.  How many times has Card Game shown us just that?  And since you only get one shot... I really think this is going to wind up being much more difficult than everyone else thinks.

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2006, 04:19:18 PM »
Those must be some expensive massagers. :roll:

Stack the Deck had the goods (ala Pass the Buck) from which product is right. The set has just a bit too much yellow. The reveal is awesome. The first playing was impressive and let's see as the weeks and months fly by in the possiblities that this game will win the crowd or be thrown to the dungeon. :D

Four dollars sound pretty close but not like a few cents like one contestant I remember from Season 25.

Another poor Pocket Change playing and if only she got the 2nd number.

Hans gotta be dreaming what would it be like if that guy was in his shows. :lol:

Side by Side again?!! DeEtta may have been one odd player but at least she went with her gut.

Two $40K showcases?!! We're looking at a "shoot the moon" budget here!!!

Great show to start the week.

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2006, 12:35:05 AM »
I wanted to say right off the bat that I'm sorry for being a bit late on giving my comments about the show. I've been busy with my job and school work so it kinda delays me from sending replies. And I have a lot to say about the show, so hopefully I'll remember all of my comments.

Swap Meet- That wasn't too bad of a playing. Shane even tried to give it some suspense

Stack the Deck- I think I'll like this game. It seems to be fairly easy, and it is if you guess each grocery item correctly. I've read some comments on the internet that it implies the format that "2 prizes for the price of 1" does. Which I do see that. I also happen to think it  mixes in with Half-Off, because you're playing with two items that will help you win the car. And I have two strategies. Assuming you get all 3 of the grocery items right, ask for the second third and fourth numbers, or ask for the third, fourth, fifth. The game does have a cool set, and i like the price being hidden behind the games' name.

Range Game- Wow! Just $4 off! ALso it looked like when Bob was pointing that he accidently hit the red window just slightly.

Pocket Change- WOW!!! That was another one of those awful playings. That's one where you not only knew they would lose, but hoping they would lose for the bad guessing.

Cliff Hangers- Ahhh... The return of that fugly trailer. That guy should be considering himself lucky for losing that thing.

Side-by-Side- Good job DeEtta! For some reason I though $7145 seemed too high. But apparently it was just right. I went with $4571

Showcases- How could she bid so badly on the car in Pocket Change and wind up bidding excellently on the Cadillac Showcase??? That doesn't make sense. And they did the one thing I was wondering about. I was wondering when they would do a showcase offering a wedding gown, because the models always look wonderful in them. And today they did! Shane looked really beautiful in it. By the way, in the credits it looked as if Bob was gonna let our contestant in her Cadillac. And it looked like Shane didn't see Bob, but did see the contestant going to get in and she tried to grab the contestant so she wouldn't get in and instead have her wave to the camera. Why the heck do the models do that????????? That's annoying.

All in all it was an excellent show. Besides my comment about the trailer, there was some awesome looking prizes today. I really liked that Coke cooler. Actually I pretty much love any item that is a Coke vintage item or sports the logo on it.

I've found it weird that I've taped only 3 or 4 eps this season so far, and so far today had the least that was given away. That's weird.

Hot contestant of the day- Sara-Ashley (yummy!)
(There was even a really hot chick in the 2nd row behind DeEtta named Katie.)
Best contestant of the day- DeEtta of course
Grade- A+, Despite that fugly trailer
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2006, 06:42:51 PM »
I waited to read this thread before I presented my opinions of Stack the Deck in the poll thread in the Talk is Right section.

The only comment I have is to Frank:  Assuming that they consider Stack the Deck to be timed at 5.5 minutes, this show worked out perfectly to 28 minutes.  Oddly enough, since Hole in One was originally scheduled, the show timed out to 29 minutes.
John

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2006, 08:43:57 PM »
I finally got around to reviewing the DeEtta bid and, sure enough, she said $700. That'll teach me.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2006, 11:39:07 AM »
Stack the Deck-I like it!  Seems similar to Pocket Change, but easier.  The GP part was incredibly easy (at least for today's).  I hope we see this more often.  It is really cool.  Like others, I wasn't expecting that price reveal like that.  Neat!  Let's hope it stays that way, and not change it.

Range Game-WOW!  Now that's close!  Good thing she didn't listen to the audience when they were shouting "STOP!"

Cliffhangers-It looked to me as if he wanted it to go over the cliff, like he didn't want to win.

Showcases-WHOA, I wasn't expecting a Cadillac with the furniture.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline Heidi

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2006, 10:43:23 AM »
I just wanted to comment on 'Stack the Deck'.  It's about time that TPIR had another car/gp game in the lineup besides Hole in One, Let 'Em Roll and Pass the Buck.  The set is awesome and I think the font should be bolder for Bob to read on the grocery items.  I like the price reveal too!  I hope this game lasts a long time.

Offline Ferdy9338

• In the Audience
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2006, 01:45:46 AM »
Finally get a chance to comment on this...

Swap Meet: I overpriced the watches, picked the guitars and bombed.

Stack The Deck: I like this game. And the ARP reveal totally blew me away. Easy setup today, too.

Range Game: Good thing Martha tuned out the screaming audience just a wee bit more, and got the trip. And she was right on when she said she was looking at it being $7,400.

Pocket Change: I kept going "three, three, three" for that second digit. Sharon finally hears me, but it's too late.

Cliffy: Poor Hans.

Side By Side: I felt the same as I felt in Range Game. DeEtta tuned them out and went the right way.

Showcases: My bid amounts have since vanished from my memory, but I remember overbidding on Sharon's Caddy showcase.

Stack The Deck's premiere made this a good show for today.