Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/13/2010  (Read 13442 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/13/2010
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 09:07:27 PM »
So far this week, we've had one win, 17 losses, and two straight skunkings.  You can argue whatever you want about why they are or aren't doing such-and-such with the prizes, the budget, or the game setups...but ladies and gentlemen, that's a problem.

There was a pretty blatant edit right after Rebecca got onstage.

Pocket ¢hange is more fun to watch when contestants have to explicitly state where the only remaining digit goes.  You wouldn't think Drew doing it for them would take anything away, but it does.  It's the same as having to say whether a number in Dice Game is higher or lower than 1.

We've been seeing one-prize games for more than one prize for a little over a week now, and I'm already fed up with it.  Today we got Double Prices for a jukebox and freaking dance lessons.  It just doesn't feel right.

I hate when they have Items up for Bids that are obviously only being offered so Drew can say something stupid about them.  "It's really worth a look."  Like Rich had ever been within ten feet of that table. :rollold:

Push Over's setup was atrocious.  The line should never have three of the same digit in a row, especially if either the second or third of them starts the actual retail price.

(And seriously...a dude ranch?)

I thought it was hilarious (although not in a good way) that Drew didn't even pretend to be interested in the PIR.com plug after Check-Out was lost and the show was skunked.

Maybe it's just me, but I still don't think that overhead shot of Monte Carlo is anywhere near as cool-looking as that big skin with the cards and the roulette wheel.

I think that even though Push Over was played for a trip, and an expensive one, the game was set up for a win in my opinion. There were only 2 prices that I think were right for that trip.

Sorry, but no.  Push Over was at best a 50/50 crapshoot.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 09:13:34 PM »
So far this week, we've had one win, 17 losses, and two straight skunkings.  You can argue whatever you want about why they are or aren't doing such-and-such with the prizes, the budget, or the game setups...but ladies and gentlemen, that's a problem.

You have to wonder if they even realize what they are doing or think that the results of their actions have a chance to make bad television.

Also, for the second showcase, was anyone else expecting a car to follow the Sea-Doo?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 09:17:24 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 09:15:21 PM »
You have to wonder if they even realize what they are doing or the results of their actions make bad television.

I dunno if they did before.  But whoever reads the mailbag at pir@tvc.cbs.com definitely knows it as of about five minutes ago.
Bazinga!

Offline sjd93

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 09:43:41 PM »
You have to wonder if they even realize what they are doing or think that the results of their actions have a chance to make bad television.

I've decided that they probably have no idea how damaging to the show this kind of thing is. They're just thinking (or have been told to think), "Let's control the budget as much as we can by offering abstract, hard-to-price prizes." They're not thinking nearly on the level of Roger - they don't understand that to have every single game set-up for a loss is just plain mean, and when one game has been won this week, that puts a damper on the show in general.

I think the people who have been there a while like Kathy and Adam know deep down that they're screwing up, but they probably figure it would be risky to try to go over Drew's head on anything (which is odd, in a way, because these constant losses really mess up Drew's performance).
I find it ironic how the show tries to mix up the prizes and offer "cool" things like over-stuffed trips and impossible to price items to make the show less "predictable." Yet, the same things happen every single time a show airs.

-temptation1979ga

Offline joeyboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 09:55:39 PM »
Every single game......set up to be LOST!!!! As Steve said, that is a big problem!

Seriously, do these people even realize how bad 16 games in a row being lost looks?

Oh, wait. 3 trips were won. That makes it o.k.  :rollold:

Doubt it.

Also, for the second showcase, was anyone else expecting a car to follow the Sea-Doo?

With Drew and Mike, I was expecting either another trip, or some random crap to up the value of the showcase.

Something tells me there will be a six game perfect show tomorrow....

I really doubt that. Unfortunately, I don't think the staff believes in "perfect shows" anymore. (or  :dsw:'s for that matter)

(I'd really love to be proven wrong, but I don't have much hope on that happening.)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 10:02:17 PM by joeyboy »

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 10:07:50 PM »
The lineup overall today was just flat out awesome. As Kev said MoL and Check Out to end things, that's pretty nice. Other than that today's show was pretty much junk and I say that in regards to the ridiculous setups we saw today.

Why why WHY W-H-Y do they keep on insisting offering two prizes in one prize games. If they want to offer two prizes just play a two prizer but please stop trying to treat one prize games as two prizers (or in another case a two prizer as a 3/4 prizer as they did with Switch? the other day). 

Take your pick: the setups for Pushover and More or Less (in particular) were: a) cruel or b) sadistic.

At least tomorrow is another day. Hopefully it'll be good, but I somehow doubt it

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 10:10:43 PM »
Why why WHY W-H-Y do they keep on insisting offering two prizes in one prize games.
Because when you have a "nice-looking" price like 8995 for a jukebox, that's just too easy. You gotta make it more random with...say, 1325 dance lessons.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 10:13:15 PM »
I really doubt that. Unfortunately, I don't think the staff believes in "perfect shows" anymore. (or  :dsw:'s for that matter)

Unfortunately I think fear you may be right.  I wasn't really being serious though, I was more responding to the post from elskunkoman that predicted we're in for worse things tomorrow.
Bazinga!

Offline RKO36

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 11:33:54 PM »
I know some of the losses yesterday can be blamed on contestants (Melissa) and luck, but today was downright ridiculous.

Pushover was really ridiculous.  An $11,000 trip to a dude ranch in Colorado?  and the 1 1 1 9 0 5 9  is just plain evil.

More or Less was begging for a loss.

Half off you have to be lucky and price well.

Check out was really tough especially with the $6.49 peanuts.  That can give someone a loss right there.

Pocket change is always really hard to win

Double prices with dance lessons?  C'mon.  they can run from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars.

Showcases were okay.  Not good.  Not great.  Not bad.

This show left me with a very bad feeling I never got from The Price is Right.  Let's hope tomorrow is really good.  Hopefully we hit 5 wins this week.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 11:41:43 PM »
It's been a bad week so far, but things have to get better sometime. I look forward to a good show tomorrow. :-)
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline rick420buzz

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2010, 12:26:14 AM »

Actually, I was expecting a car INSTEAD of the Sea-doo.

Offline ClassicG

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 01:39:46 AM »
In other words, Willy, they just don't care. All these losses echo a possibility that they just want to cancel the show, and they'll do whatever it takes.

Seriously, the only way they are ever going to listen to us is if El Skunko appears. The six straight losses and double overbid has to exist so that we can take action. Remember, the show is not just based on ratings, but on actual viewer input. Unfortunately, ever since the "Carey 12:16" debacle, CBS has ultimately ignored all our requests. Now, let me explain what El Skunko can do for us:

1. Once we have El Skunko, we can immediately write letters to CBS headquarters about those forced losses.
2. Protest sites like the old savethepriceisright.com may return. You can get your voices heard about how you feel.
3. Former producer Roger Dobkowitz will weigh in on the losses in a future Shokus radio show.
4. You could try convincing Standards & Practices to review the way the games are managed, to avoid rigging.
5. If all else fails, sue CBS and the game show. You need a good case though.

Although I will remain optimistic as requested by one of the board members here, we have to face facts. Price isn't going back to the old days anymore.

Offline Spyne

• In the Audience
  • Keep it cool, and keep moving forward.
    • The Mainframe
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010, 01:52:21 AM »
Man, what's been happening lately? I'd tend to agree Greco is purposely setting these up for losses. I'm really hoping Thursday and Friday we get some, you know, WINS around here. :(
Keep it cool, and keep moving forward!

Proud member of the Golden-Road.net After Hours group on Skype & Facebook. We bring the craziness, all with a Secretariat dance and a robot skeleton by our side.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2010, 01:58:19 AM »
Based upon the poll I ran in TTIR about the SP setups, and the opinions stated there, I more and more believe that it is the case that it is simply total ignorance of the how and that thinking they are intentionally setting up games to be lost for budgetary purposes cannot possibly be a valid explanation.  

They are simply clueless.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 02:26:59 AM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline Dietevil

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2010, 07:07:37 AM »
5. If all else fails, sue CBS and the game show. You need a good case though.

I'm anxiously awaiting the legal basis for suing 1) CBS and 2) The Price is Right for setting up difficult-to-win games.