Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/29/2010  (Read 29406 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/29/2010
« on: January 29, 2010, 02:25:55 PM »
The Price is Right - Jan. 29, 2010
Production #5015K - Taped Dec. 1, 2009

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: right to left
Handoff: Lanisha

Models of the Day: Lanisha Cole, Gwendolyn Osborne-Smith and Rachel Reynolds
Wearing: Tony Bowls

1   Butterfly Table Tennis Package (G&R)
STACY 400 CALEB *550 LISA 699 CYNTHIA 700 ($640)

Caleb plays RANGE GAME for a DLP Video Projection and a Home Theater Screen System (G&L)

Scale:$5500-$6100
Range:$5739-$5889
Price:$5754   WIN!

2   His/Hers Golf Apparel (L)
+Stacy 1 VERONICA 600 +Lisa *900 +Cynthia 425 ($1977)

Lisa plays HOLE IN ONE (...or two) for a Toyota Camry LE (Std., Cruise, Tilt, PAssist)(G)$22,650)

(6) Francesco Rinaldi Pasta Sauce$2.29
(1) Econogreen Trash Bags (20 13 gal)5.99
(2) Gorton's Popcorn Shrimp4.99
(3) (Febreeze) Nightlight
(4) Demet's Turules (box)
(5) Udderly Smooth Udder Cream

Drew's "Inspiration Putt": pushed right (with 1 hand)
Lisa's Putt(s) from Line 2: pulled left, twice. LOSS

3   30" Freestanding Gas Range (R)
+Stacy 800 Veronica 700 AMANDA 680 +Cynthia *999 ($1649)

Cynthia from Florida plays ONE WRONG PRICE

exergame Ab Solo Core Trainer (L)$1999
Apple MacPro Desktop Computer (R)PICK2598$3778   WIN!
(Casio) Digital SLR Camera (G)1200

SHOWDOWN #1
$1,977Lisa  5 + 15.20Through to Showcase Round
6,394Caleb65 stay.65
8,626Cynthia85 stay.85

4   Morrow His/Hers Snowboard Equipmet (L)
+Stacy 850 Veronica 750 Amanda 800 CARL *900 ($1050)

Carl plays SWITCH?

Trip to Sedona, AZ (via Flagstaff; 6n @ Hilton)(R)$4954NO$4954
Massages/Facials For A Year (G)$3540SWITCH$3540WIN!

5   2 Sealight Floorlamps (G)
+Stacy *1300 Veronica 1001 Amanda 1 MARTHA 1200 ($3250)

Stacy, the last of the "First Four," plays PATHFINDER for a Ford F-150 (Std., V8, XL #61X, Extender, Prot)(R)

Setup1stStart on [2]$2––––
5 1 0 7 92ndFrwd. to [1]NO
2 9 3 5 8(2) Moen Lindley Kitchen Faucet   225/259   259   259   *
8 7[2]4 1Right to [4]NO
3 0 1 6 7(1) (Beverage Buggy) R/C Buggy   50/75   50   50   *
9 6 4 0 2Back to [3]*$23–––
3rdLeft to [9]NO
(3) (Nesco) Food Dehydrator   45/60  60   45   LOSS   ($23,579)

6   (Craftsman) Workshop Power Tools?Accessories (R)
JAMES 3500 Veronica 4000 Amanda 4001 Martha *1 ($1390)

Martha from Fullerton, CA plays BALANCE GAME '06 for a SwimSpa (L)

[ 999 ][5000][8000] [6000] 
[$14,999]LOSS

SHOWDOWN #2
$1,390Martha35 + 20.55Through to Showcase Round
3,250Stacy40 + 40.80
9,544Carl95 stay.95

SHOWCASE ROUND
Carl has the honor.

SC1-Cynthia Dashing Diamonds Diamond Jewelry
Trip to Washington, DC (6n @ Beacon)(G)
Maxum 1800MX 17.6' Sport Boat (R)
BID$23,000
PRICE32,383
DIFF–9,383
SC2-Carl THE GRAMMY AWARDS SHOWCASE w/Triple Grammy Nominee Anthony Hamilton
Grammy Award Nominees' CDs/(Marantz) Home Stereo System (L)
Trip to New York (3n @ Hilton)
$3000 Cash Money/$2500 MasterCard Debit Card
Grammy Awards VIP Package
BID$21,000
PRICE23,315
DIFF–2,315
TOTAL$32,859

Today's Pricing Games: 3 for 6
Total Winnings: $54,496

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 03:27:58 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/29/2010
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 02:41:19 PM »
Anthony Hamilton is apparently up for three Grammys, yet I have no idea who he is. Am I out of the loop or something?

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Lots of great ones today, so Frank picks
SHOW GRADE: 2

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 02:44:51 PM »
Anthony Hamilton is apparently up for three Grammys, yet I have no idea who he is. Am I out of the loop or something?

You're not the only one.

It looks like he's an R&B "musician," if you can call that stuff music.  This is just one more instance of a performer with a niche following (read:  someone Drew likes) cameo on the show.  And it really needs to stop.

Wikipedia
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 03:23:48 PM by Joe_Capitano »
Bazinga!

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 03:03:30 PM »
Wow. At least the two "big" games were awesome ones--Hole and Pathy and at least Range and Balance are great games in their own right. The lineup overall I guess "balanced" out.

Hey, Range Game's got a major winning streak going!!! :-P

How in the world was Switch? won?!? Seriously, Carl winning Switch? to me was the most improbable win of the year. Granted, the trip to Sedona was also offered, but still..... But more importantly, what in the world are they doing offering massages/facials for a year in this game (or any game for that matter)?!? That's probably the most bizarre thing i've ever seen.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 03:04:37 PM »
You're not the only one.

It looks like he's an R&B "musician," if you can call that stuff music.  This is just one more instance of a performer with a niche following (read:  someone Drew likes) cameo on the show.  And it really needs to stop.

So you're claiming if Drew had "liked" someone like say, Beyonce, you would be annoyed by having her make an appearance? You have absolutely no idea if Drew is a fan of this person or not, you just feel like bashing him for the sport of it. It's called inter-network self promotion, and this musician was most likely honoured for the free publicity from CBS.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 03:24:16 PM by Joe_Capitano »
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline joeyboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 03:09:21 PM »
4 quickies and 2 long games? Okay.

At least the longer games were good ones.

How in the world was Switch? won?!?

Probably the same way I won it playing at home: Total Random Guess.

Neither do I.

Offline leafsfan17

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 03:23:46 PM »
Three wins out of six today. Much better than yesterday for sure.
Dr. Pepper: Not recommended for Skype chats

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 03:25:36 PM »
...It's called inter-network self promotion, and this musician was most likely honoured for the free publicity from CBS.

And Rich specifically plugged the Grammys in the prize copy. That didn't get there by accident.

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 03:26:15 PM »
So you're claiming if Drew had "liked" someone like say, Beyonce, you would be annoyed by having her make an appearance? You have absolutely no idea if Drew is a fan of this person or not, you just feel like bashing him for the sport of it. It's called inter-network self promotion, and this musician was most likely honoured for the free publicity from CBS.

Off_trak, you're wrong.  And frankly, off-track--sorry, couldn't resist--with your response.  Maybe you should think about why I said what I said before you totally try to shoot it down, hmmm?  Because now I'm going to make you look ridiculous for accusing me of blind Drew-bashing (itself blind Drew-defending, little better).  You seem to have missed the major point of what I said, namely that the musical "guest stars" here lately seem to lack broad-spectrum recognition, and I find that annoying.  The theory that they're people Drew likes, and that's how they get on the show, is exactly that--a theory.

I don't know if Drew is a fan of these folks or not.  I don't know if Drew is directly responsible for their appearance.  Frankly, I don't care, and it makes no difference for the purposes of my statement.  With the exception of Craig Ferguson and Wayne Brady, the celebrity/musical appearances on the show have featured folks that most of us look at and go "who dat?" just like Heels did at the start of this thread.

If it were Beyonce, to use your example, it still wouldn't matter if Drew liked her or not.  What would make the difference is, I'd know who Beyonce is.  Maybe not on sight, but as soon as someone said her name it would click.  She's a well-known music star that probably everyone across the board would recognize.  And if I recognize someone, I'm more apt to sit up and go "Hey, I know them!" and tune in a little more closely.  These random people kind of make me go "And we're devoting valuable air time to this person why?"

But can you tell me honestly, that before their appearances on the show, you've recognized half of the musical guests these past two seasons?  (not counting the Country Music special of course)  No.  Not the girl that showed up to play the guitar during the closing that day by Contestants' Row (remember when Rich did the slide or whatever you call it?), not the bands that keep showing up here lately.  If they'd have more mainstream people that more folks would recognize, I wouldn't say anything about it.

In the case of today's guest, I have no idea who it is.  I had to go and find his Wiki to figure that out.  Yes, he's Grammy-nominated and that's cool and all, but that doesn't change the fact that he's not a big name, and small-timers confuse people.  Simple.

Do you want to apologize to me for Drew-bashing publicly?  Or should I expect a PM from you?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 03:34:37 PM by brtsimpson142 »
Bazinga!

Offline JoePlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 03:31:08 PM »
You're not the only one.

Grammy wins and nominations hardly makes it a "niche following."

I was confused why the Portland girls got to come up on stage with Carl at the end of the show.  He was no where near them in the audience.  If it was just to add people on stage for a celebration, I say, bad call.  

As for Carl's win in Switch?  I thought that was fairly simple as ***BLANK*** for a year, I believe, is just an estimate the show comes up with...another one of those new patterns folks will be catching on to, like the 2 or 9 spot in TTM.

"If we want the show to stay on, you have to support the show.  How can we lose an American classic?"  - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline sjd93

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 03:43:47 PM »
Grammy wins and nominations hardly makes it a "niche following."

That's not necessarily true. Regardless of how many nominations/wins he may have, the fact that most of us here (myself included) had never even heard of this guy until today certainly suggests that he has a niche audience.

And, just like the other musical guests (people playing the instruments in the one bids, the Dollyrots,) the only reason these people are on the show is because Drew really likes them. And I for one really dislike the fact that we always have shortened lineups on "special guest" days just so Drew can have enough time to promote whatever band/sports team/celebrity he chooses.

(And no, I don't just feel that way because he's an R&B/rap guy. I don't like that kind of stuff, but it doesn't matter. I'd complain about this sort of thing even if they had a musician that I liked on.)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 03:47:12 PM by sjd93 »
I find it ironic how the show tries to mix up the prizes and offer "cool" things like over-stuffed trips and impossible to price items to make the show less "predictable." Yet, the same things happen every single time a show airs.

-temptation1979ga

Offline BD

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 03:45:47 PM »
You're not the only one.

It looks like he's an R&B "musician," if you can call that stuff music.

lol...

Antony Hamilton may not be popular but he's very talented and what he makes is music.  Don't blend him in with the typical mainstream radio "R&B/Rap" acts.

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 03:48:01 PM »
Antony Hamilton may not be popular but he's very talented and what he makes is music.  Don't blend him in with the typical mainstream radio "R&B/Rap" acts.

I guess I did let my "anti-fandom" of R&B bleed through when I wrote that!  I wasn't necessarily questioning his talent or his dedication to quality work, or even his popularity.  Just his fame :)
Bazinga!

Offline BD

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
I guess I did let my "anti-fandom" of R&B bleed through when I wrote that!  I wasn't necessarily questioning his talent or his dedication to quality work, or even his popularity.  Just his fame :)

I guess you put him in with the terrible Rappers/R&B artists out there due to his awards/names of his songs but he's talented and he has a very "old school soul" vibe.

I wish more people wouldn't feel that all Rap and R&B is the stuff (mostly garbage) that gets played on the radio. There's a lot of good indie artists in those genres that are positive and talk about issues and make good songs.

Anyways we're getting off topic now. I haven't seen the today's show so I doubt that I'll comment anymore in this thread  :-D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 03:53:33 PM by BD »

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 04:24:04 PM »
... Granted, the trip to Sedona was also offered, but still..... But more importantly, what in the world are they doing offering massages/facials for a year in this game (or any game for that matter)?!? That's probably the most bizarre thing i've ever seen.

Rob: I may be taking your comments totally wrong, and if I do, please accept my apologies.

But wasn't there a discussion on here for most of Season 37 about Drew's pattern of knocking small prizes (particularly in games where larger, more desirable prizes such as a car, were available)? Well, here we have a prize  — massages and facials for a year — that may be offbeat to us, and might have a vague prize copy. But I would not be surprised if this prize combo (massages and facials) were common during the 1960s, on shows like the original TPiR and the original "Concentration." And, the winner of this prize might actually accept and appreciate this prize.

If (and I mean if) taking the TPiR staff to task for offering a massages/facials prize package was the intent of the comment ... then we need to remember to practice what we preach and not disparage any prize, no matter how odd or esotric it may seem.

Brian

Brian