Author Topic: Who Is Responsible For The Hard Game Set Ups and Why?  (Read 1394 times)

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
Who Is Responsible For The Hard Game Set Ups and Why?
« on: February 15, 2010, 08:47:10 PM »
As you know,

We have seen a huge amount of unfair game setups in recent months. However, as the prizes on the show are the suggested retail selling prices, could that be why it is?  It's hard for me to understand why Mike or Kathy would not want a game won if this is true?  Let's assume it is true.  Could somebody at CBS or Fremantle be telling them to make the games hard because of the economy?  Whom do you blame for the harder game play than in the past?  What will it take to make this change?

Joe

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Who Is Responsible For The Hard Game Set Ups and Why?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 08:51:16 PM »
It's hard for me to understand why Mike or Kathy would not want a game won if this is true? 

It's actually very easy to understand.  It would be very nice if a game show could just give away everything, but game shows have budgets, just like any other business.  There's not an unlimited pot of money from which prizes can be bought.  So, "forcing" the game-play to go in a certain direction is a necessary skill for the show's producers.  The complaint now seems to be how to go about the practice of setting up a game to be intentionally difficult, while at the same time holding the illusion of fairness. 

I choose not to blame anybody, because I just don't know.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 08:55:45 PM »
I think the extravagant showcases are part of the reason. Because of thier cost, they can't afford to give many prizes away during the main part of the show, so they have to set up for a loss. Unfortunate.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline joeyboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 10:38:28 PM »
All the more reason to get rid of all the extra crap they throw in these showcases and "prize packages", and go back to more traditional stuff.

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 10:44:07 PM »
I am not a producer.  But as a viewer, a balanced show is key.  If the budget is causing the losses, then here is a suggestion:

1) No IUFBs (or PUFBs, Drew) worth >$1500.
2) Likewise, no showcases >$25,000.  There are plenty of prizes that look more expensive than they are--use those in the showcases for the "ooo and ahhh" effect.  (Think evil trailers of a few years ago.)
3) Minimize the add-ons.  A huge TV does not need the iPod to go along with it.  Nor do trips need a load of nonsense.

If these techniques are utilized with prizes that are lower in cost but still appeal to viewers the budget will be spared without losing interest from viewers and allowing another win per show.
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.