Author Topic: Field of 64 Pricing Games - Week 6  (Read 10717 times)

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Currently, I live in the past.
Re: Field of 64 Pricing Games - Week 6
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2006, 05:59:37 PM »
First matchup:

Safe Crackers has one of, if not the coolest set on the show.  The game  is very simple and easy enough to win, which is good.  I also like That's Too Much, though, because it's tougher to win (it should be when any game is played for a car, anyway).  I really don't know what to do here.  I'll give it to...

Safe Crackers, 6-5.

Second Matchup:

I predict we'll see a lot of upsets here.  Plinko is a fan favorite, but it's played way too much, and the amount of money a contestant wins is largely based on luck, which I hate. (I like Punchboard better because it's more suspenseful, and 1/2 Off better because your chances are much, much better if you get all the small prizes right.)  Balance game is probably the best pricing game to come out of the workshop this decade, due to the scale prop and the sound effects.

Balance Game, 9-2.

Offline Adam Lonier

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006, 06:22:24 PM »
Matchup 1:
That's Too Much
vs.
Safe Crackers

Eh. Here's a hard one.

1)Safe Crackers is older than TTM and starting to wear itself out. By that i mean, its getting too old. 1976 is awfully old, and is not played often anymore. Its only been played once this season while TTM has been played four times.
2)Safe Crackers isn't very suspensing-and by that i mean, there's very little suspense to the game. Thats Too Much! makes it full of suspense because who knows what price is the right one. And the audience is very hyped about TTM.
3) Look at the win-loss rate.

Safe Crackers:
*Season 35: 0 Wins 1 Loss (so far)
*Season 34: 6 Wins 4 Losses
*Season 33: 6 Wins 6 Losses
*Season 32: 6 Wins 5 Losses
*Season 31: 7 Wins 4 Losses
That's Too Much:
*Season 35: 0 Wins 4 Losses (so far)
*Season 34: 7 Wins 15 Losses
*Season 33: 6 Wins 17 Losses
*Season 32: 9 Wins 14 Losses
*Season 31: 8 Wins 18 Losses (Ouch)

By those stats Safe Crackers wins by A LOT. If TTM ends up with stats like this for the rest of the season and Season 36, might possibly be retired. Its not confusing rules, but the win/loss rate is bad: 30/68. Safe Crackers has been played less but got more wins.

4) That's Too Much may be my 10th favorite game, but to tell you the truth, it gets too much use.

For my opinion:
Safe Crackers:6
For:
The better win/loss rate
That's Too Much: 5
The bad win/loss rate
==========================================================
Matchup 2:
Plinko
vs.
Balance Game.

Eh, how can i rate Balance Game '06 if i haven't seen it be played yet, means i cant answer. I'll give Plinko the win, due to i know it better.
Plinko:6
BG06:5

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 07:18:07 PM »
Safe Crackers is an "old Skool" favorite for keeping the BIGA** set. I agree that the reveal of the game stinks but it's still fun to play and it's very simple. I really miss the old "Pink Panther" theme. TTM can be so nerve-racking when it comes between tricky fake prices at times and it just never was a hit in my book.

It's Safey 10-1.

Balance Game '06 has become interesting now that it can be played for cars now and the set is very peachy. :-D  It's simple and the bags of "Barker Dollars" also add to the fun. I don't hate Plinko but I still enjoy it just a tad less. A lot of money is guaranteed to be won and while it seem it won't be until pigs fly to the moon when someone wins $50K :lol: , The best we can do is see someone win over $20K (or maybe LORD BLESS $30K). The set is too pastel-like and I wish it went back to the lesser-loud first set. My decision is tough but I guess I have to choose................................. ....................

Plinko 6-5.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2006, 08:13:33 PM »
Safe Crackers is a true classic-just guess the price of the smaller prize and you win both prizes.  It has a cool set with the huge safe door with "OPEN" and "LOCK" lights along with the vault backdrop used whenever the larger prize does not take up the whole wall.  That's Too Much has a less tolerable set; but it does great gameplay-just keep going down the line until you stop at the first price that is higher than the car's ARP.  Bob's rehearsal of the "THAT'S TOO MUCH!" shout is great and it's hilarious the contestants don't do it when they decide to stop going on.

In the end, Safe Crackers wins 6-5.

PL!NKO used to be a favorite of mine with the chips falling down the board.  Now, I am annoyed by the game because nobody has won $50,000 or even $25,000.  Why did the prize get upped for this game but the other cash games are still at their original offerings?  The set was much better with its 1983-1990 color scheme-it was very vibrant compared with the pastels today.  I also miss the sign that used to be on the turntable, it was very cool.  Balance Game is a neat one-prizer with cool sound effects as the scale tips and the Barker Dollars from the old Balance Game are a nice touch.  It has good gameplay of trying to guess the price of the prize.  The set is cool with the huge scale and money bags, although I would change the colors on it.

In the end, Balance Game wins 8-3.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline whirlwood74

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2006, 09:31:40 PM »
#5 SAFECRACKERS vs #12 THAT'S TOO MUCH!

Safe Crackers is simply too easy to win.  Whenever there is a '0' as one of the numbers in the price of the three-digit prize, you know that it goes at the end, just like in Ten Chances.

TTM is a challenging game for a car that tests a contestant's perception on how much a car costs.  Not every person who plays this game will win the game.  From the contestants who have played this game, I have seen almost an even number of winners & losers.

TTM wins in an upset, 9-2.  

#4 PLINKO vs #13 BALANCE GAME

Plinko is, by far, the most popular game on TPiR.  However, there are plenty of purists who believe this game has been played too many times.  Having never had an official 'win' of $50,000 for nearly 24 years, doesn't take away the fun of dropping disks down the Plinko board.  Someday, someone will win the max, but anyone who gets at least $10,000 once is a winner in my book.

Balance Game (II) is a simpler pricing game, compared to the 1984-85 counterpart (which I actually enjoy playing on BigJon's TPiR game).  The player is given the last three digits of the price (in Barker Dollars), and he/she has to determine which two 'thousands' money bags will balance the ARP of the prize (in Barker Dollars).  The only thing that sticks a sore thumb, is that the scale and moneybags are only props.

Plinko gets the upper hand, 7-4.

Offline BuddyTom

• Double Showcase Winner
  • It says what it means.
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2006, 11:35:33 PM »
This is a tough week, and a close one.

Safecrackers v. That's Too Much!

If it weren't for the fairly good set and Bob trying to get contestants to say THAT'S TOO MUCH!!! with vim, vigor, and vitality, there would be very little I like about this game. I don't think that it's too hard necessarily, but it does go against the grain of TPIR in that it's the only game I can think of where you have to go OVER the price to win.

I always loved Safecrackers when I was little, especially with the Pink Panther cue. It's a bit predictable with the zero rule (though it certainly weeds out the LFATs from the non), but I still enjoy it when it does come around.

Neither of them are my favorite in the show, but neither are bad, though TTM can be a bit overplayed, so that gives Safecrackers the advantage:

Safecrackers wins 6-5.

Balance Game v. Plinko

I've been thinking about this all day, and without Plinko, TPIR would not be what it is today. It may not be a great game, but it has become iconic, and though it's never been "won" it does offer more than any other cash game and occasionally even pays it out! I have to say that I do enjoy it in a way that is very different than the average viewer: I don't necessarily root for big money, I want the chip to get stuck so I can yell PLUNKO! and see the Plinko stick. :-D

Balance Game is nifty. It's got a fun set, great SFX, and it's a wonderful addition to the 1P games. I'd rather see it than CoG, Squeeze, or Pushover, though unfortunately that hasn't really been the case. It's been played for trips, spas, and now a car. It's a versatile quickie, though because I have a thing for SP games, I prefer the old version. But that's not up for discussion nor is it going to come back.

Another close one, but just for its popular quality, Plinko gets the slight advantage:

Plinko wins 6-5
BuddyTom
CSS Host emeritus (served 2006-10)

-- Freude!

Offline tpir1983

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2006, 12:22:23 AM »
Safecrackers is a great game, pretty darn easy, with a variety of prizes being given away. I like the set also, with the music cues being really good also.(whatever they are) That's Too Much, is 50-50 for me. Somedays I win when I play along, somedays I don't.

Safecrackers 8-3

Plinko, yes its the most popular game on The Price is Right, and yes its the most overplayed game next to Double Prices. It doesn't take away from the excitement though. But still, its overplayed....

Balance Game is decent, cool sound effects and the use of Barker Dollars. It's also a good game to substitute for CoG and Squeeze.

Balance Game 7-4

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2006, 04:46:26 PM »
I'm not as big as a Safe Crackers fan as most people are here. Sure, the set and sound effects are cool, but it's just a lot of bells and whistles for a fairly simplistic game.

For the millionth time That's Too Much! is not that hard! At least unlike Card Game people tend to go over the price of the car every once in a while! Yeah, the set is way too bright but it's fun to see Bob chide the contestants for not saying "THAT'S TOO MUCH!!!!" loud enough.

I'm going to have to "think pink " here.

That's Too Much! 9-2

Now Plinko...I've NEVER been too big a fan of this game! Never! It's near-impossible to win the 50 Gs, you can get $10,000 for doing basicly NOTHING, it's overhyped and overplayed! Why has this game been granted a cash increase while others (Punch-a-Bunch anyone?) haven't?! Wish they had kept the original set colors and the Plinko sign. Yes, it is the most popular game on the show and it generates lots of excitement, but geez!

Such a pity that the rookie of the tournament has to go against th almighty Plinko. Balance Game is a fairly fun one-prizer that can be (And has been!) played for a car. It has a nifty set and neat balancing sound effects. Yes, it is a glorified Triple Prices, but it's still a nice game.

I have to go with the rookie, but that's just my personal opinion (First time I've posted two upsets in the same week!).

Balance Game 9-2
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2006, 05:39:57 PM »
Criminy pete, these are some tough ones...

Safe Crackers vs. That's Too Much

I'm not a That's Too Much hater. It's tricky, sure, but it's not impossible and the screaming is fun. But Safe Crackers is fun, too, what with the giant safe converting a vanilla concept into something worth watching. This is a close one... I'm going to say 6-5 in favor of That's Too Much.

Plinko vs. Balance Game

I've seen Plinko so many times, it generates a completely neutral response from me now. I can't get fired up about this game anymore, though the audience sure does a good job of making up for my apathy. I agree with those who feel that the center slot shouldn't have increased for daytime. Balance Game, on the other hand, I'm really starting to dig. It incorporates pricing well, and it's fun to watch the scales go nuts during the reveal. I wish Plinko had a stronger opponent so I could give this a bigger upset score... 8-3 for Balance Game.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2006, 06:35:25 PM »
I just realized that I haven't voted in this tournament yet. Shame on me. Here goes...

(5) Safe Crackers vs. (12) That's Too Much- Safe Crackers isn't really that great of a game, but the set is awesome. The only good part of That's Too Much is Bob making the contestant say "that's too much!" as loud as possible. Other than that, it's way too hard. Not a very difficult decision here... Safe Crackers 9, That's Too Much 2

(4) Plinko vs. (13) Balance Game- If it were up to regular people that don't watch the show as much as we do, Plinko would easily win this entire tournament. But it's up to us, and we've had a history of being pretty hard on Plinko. However, it's still a legend, no matter what you think of it now. Yeah, it's become overplayed, but when I was younger, there was nothing more exciting than hearing that harp-playing sound and hearing Rod say those magical words. It's not Plinko's fault that it's overplayed now. The scale in Balance Game is cool, but other than that, there's not much to it. The most popular game on the show takes this matchup... Plinko 8, Balance Game 3

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2006, 06:43:51 PM »
I dunno', heels... at least to me, hearing Johnny or Rod announce $10,000 with Janice coming around the turntable was more exciting.  Even as a wee tot, it wasn't really my favorite game, though I'll admit I liked it more back then

Offline siowafc

• 11/15/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2006, 06:53:00 PM »
See below:

Sorry about that.

Offline Aaron A. Camp

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2006, 08:04:17 PM »
SAFE CRACKERS V. THAT'S TOO MUCH!

Safe Crackers has a ultra-cool set but is a little on the easy side. That's Too Much! is a rip-off of range game with a ugly set, not to mention that Bob makes the contestant yell at the top of his/her lungs.

VERDICT: Safe Crackers wins 11-0

-----------------------------------------------------------

PLINKO V. BALANCE GAME

Plinko is my least favorite game. The ugly set, the nearly-impossible odds of winning the top prize, and the removal of the Plinko sign make this game miserable. Balance Game has a decent set, but its sound effects more than make up for it.

VERDICT: Balance Game wins 11-0

Offline siowafc

• 11/15/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2006, 09:23:43 PM »
"Safecrackers" is a very cool, unique game. I've always liked the giant safe door that hides the prizes. The reveal is always the best part of the game, with the turning of the wheel and the pulling of the handle. It's classic. While it's true that it isn't one of the hardest games in the rotation, it is better than many other games.

Speaking of those many other games, we have "That's Too Much!". It's one of the worst games currently on the show and I groan everytime that it is played. First off, it's ridiculously hard to win, which might be a plus, but it is also not very fun to watch. I think there are simply too many price choices; ten is too many, espeically when the first three or four are reject prices anyway. I also don't like how the choices are such bizarre, close-together numbers. It's pretty hard to differentiate between whether a car is more than $17,215 or $17,987. Reduce the number of prices to six or eight and make then rounded off numbers and it would be a better game.

"Safecrakers" wins 10-1.

Being new to these boards, I'm fairly surprised at the hatred that "Plinko" recieves. It had one of the nicest sets of all of the pricing games, whether you are looking at the Plinko board or the small price tables and displays. Hiding the Plinko chips behind the price display has always been cool in my book. The grand prize might be a little overpriced, but it's not like it's going to be won anytime soon. Just becuase it is much higher than the rest of the cash games means that the others are too low. A 1/25 chance at $10,000 (a la "Punch-a-Bunch") isn't very exciting.

I do miss the nifty Plinko sign, but it's still essentially the same game.

"Balance Game" is a fairly good game. The swaying back and forth reveal is exciting. It's better than most other one prize games, but it doesn't beat "Plinko".

"Plinko" wins 10-1.

Offline jwalk03

• In the Audience
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2006, 09:56:59 PM »
Safecrackers vs. Thats Too Much
Safecrackers is an older game with a very cool set that is pretty easy to win with the zero rule in place. A good one prize game. Also it isn't played that often which to me is a plus not a minus because I like to tune in to differant pricing games everyday not the same overplayed ones all the time. Thats Too Much is very hard! I don't like games that are give me wins but I really don't like games that are too hard to win which Thats Too Much definatly is. 0-4 already this season! TTM does get a few points for being unique. The only game when you want to go over!
Safe wins 9-2

Plinko vs. Balace Game 06
Plinko is an absolute classic not because it produces huge winners or because its easy but because the fans love it and I have never, not once seen a contestant that was dissapointed when Rod or Rich said "you're gonna play Plinko! For a chance to win $25,000($50,000) dollars! As Bob said on the 25th Anniversary Special its the contestants that have made TPIR so sucessful for so many years and contestants love Plinko. Also I think the fact that Plinko has never been won adds to its persona. Can you image what all of us will be saying when someone finally wins $50,000! It isnt impossible a contest hit the $5,000 space 4 times once and it will be great when someone finally takes home all the dough. I do agree with several people that the other cash games need raises too! Punch A Bunch is very hard to win too (Harder that Its in the Bag, 1/2 Off, or Grand Game which all offer the same or more money!) but that shouldnt rob Plinko of points.
After all that Balance Game 06 is a good one prize game and its interesting that its the first time a differant game has been given the same name as an old one. Its also really cool that they give contestants Barker Dollars that are circa 1980s. Awesome souviener even if you lose. BC06 also gets bonus points since it was played for a car (even though it was lost)I like BC06 but Plinko is a classic that BC06 will never be. Ok I'm done with my book and the result is Plinko 10-1.