Author Topic: Status of Credit Card  (Read 10577 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: Status of Credit Card
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 08:35:20 AM »
Kathy has mentioned a few games in her recent replies on the price is right blog...

http://www.priceisright.com/blog/entry/460

Wow.  I wonder who wrote that description of Drew...'cause it obviously wasn't Kathy.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline 444dd

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HYO #7 will be in a few months
    • My Youtube
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 09:22:44 AM »
Check Game is one of my favourite game. I wish they would put that game on the front burner.  I bet that if Bob was still there he would not stand for that!!
That wasn't a showcase, that was an infomercial.

Offline TPIRGuru

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 09:42:28 AM »
Okay, so we have games that were fine, most likely no money in the set budget...so we feel it's okay to borrow other funds from another budget to "refurbish" every game in rotation and make new games....no comment.

The only reason I can see them doing the new games first is if Les Moonves is going to make budget cuts, its gonna be harder to make games. So, that's smart on their part, but stupid to dip into other funds.

If there are budget cuts, I have a feeling Check Game might become another Penny Ante.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 02:42:43 PM »
If Credit Card and Check Game are only not being played because they want to refurbish the games, but don't have the budget for it now... then what's stopping them from playing the games as-is for the time being, exactly?  Did someone leave them out in the rain, or something :P?

Offline JoePlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 02:47:06 PM »
If Credit Card and Check Game are only not being played because they want to refurbish the games, but don't have the budget for it now... then what's stopping them from playing the games as-is for the time being, exactly?  Did someone leave them out in the rain, or something :P?

Is that true that the refurbs haven't been done because of budgetary reasons?  Or is that an idea we've placed on it?

I was under the impression it was because they wanted to focus on the construction of new games.  Any ideas??
"If we want the show to stay on, you have to support the show.  How can we lose an American classic?"  - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 02:54:07 PM »

Speaking of new games - Penny Ante would be fun to bring back. You wonder how drew would accept it.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline William

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Thanks for the memories, Bob!
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 04:22:50 PM »
Check Game is one of my favourite game. I wish they would put that game on the front burner.  I bet that if Bob was still there he would not stand for that!!

I wouldn't count on that. You know how much Bob hated explaining check game.
$1,016,378 cash & prizes given away by me in my HYOs!

Offline Denials

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 04:40:22 PM »
I wouldn't count on that. You know how much Bob hated explaining check game.

No, Bob pretended to hate explaining check game (or players' ignorance thereof) as a means of providing comedy to the show.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 04:43:30 PM »
If Credit Card and Check Game are only not being played because they want to refurbish the games, but don't have the budget for it now... then what's stopping them from playing the games as-is for the time being, exactly?  Did someone leave them out in the rain, or something :P?

I thought there might be staging problems with the new home base & Check Game (i.e. it won't fit under the "door" border that has been added).

Don't know about Credit Card -- maybe a) Drew doesn't like it, or b) the crew thinks it looks like garbage in HD.

"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline sjd93

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 04:48:22 PM »
Don't know about Credit Card -- maybe a) Drew doesn't like it, or b) the crew thinks it looks like garbage in HD.

You may have a point there about the HD, but Drew not liking a game is certainly not a reason not to play it. I'm sure there were plenty of games Barker wasn't too fond of that were still played.
I find it ironic how the show tries to mix up the prizes and offer "cool" things like over-stuffed trips and impossible to price items to make the show less "predictable." Yet, the same things happen every single time a show airs.

-temptation1979ga

Offline PriceRox

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 05:14:56 PM »
I thought there might be staging problems with the new home base & Check Game (i.e. it won't fit under the "door" border that has been added).

I thought John cleared this up for us?

I'm sure it has something to do with Drew or Mike.  I can't stand the HD excuse.  There are games on the show older than Mike Richards which haven't been "updated for HD."

Regardless, it is sad to see two more great pricing games won't be seeing the light of day for a long, long time.  (Never is my prediction)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 05:23:45 PM by PriceRox »

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 05:49:28 PM »
I thought John cleared this up for us?

Doh... then I retract that.

I can't stand the HD excuse.  There are games on the show older than Mike Richards which haven't been "updated for HD."

Regardless of whether or not you can't stand the "HD excuse", its no excuse that some of the games do look worn, outdated, or like, well, garbage. I thought the old Most Expensive set looked like a whole lot of empty in HD - and obviously they did too, since they continued to add those stupid triangular-shaped objects to the set, and then the Goodson marks, and then finally they just gave up and remade the dang thing.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2010, 05:53:02 PM »
Is it possible that Check Game & Credit Card have been dismantled/removed from the storage areas to make way for refurbished games (like the new ME set)?   Wouldn't they have had both ME sets in storage at the same time as some point?

Offline PriceRox

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2010, 05:53:42 PM »
Regardless of whether or not you can't stand the "HD excuse", its no excuse that some of the games do look worn, outdated, or like, well, garbage.

Of all those games that "look" aged, Credit Card was certainly one of the more modern looking games, even though it was from the 1990s(?).

Check Game is very classy looking, I think.  However, I think with the futuristic direction of the show, checks are simply being considered by Young Mike and Super Drew as an outdated form of currency.

Offline JoePlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2010, 06:05:20 PM »
Is it possible that Check Game & Credit Card have been dismantled/removed from the storage areas to make way for refurbished games (like the new ME set)?   Wouldn't they have had both ME sets in storage at the same time as some point?

It's absolutely a possibility.  As a matter of fact, it makes very good sense.

Check Game is very classy looking, I think.  However, I think with the futuristic direction of the show, checks are simply being considered by Young Mike and Super Drew as an outdated form of currency.

Aren't checks starting to become exactly that?  As a matter of fact the game basically became a hassle and pointless even with Bob.  He had even gotten to a point of telling contestants to forget writing the whole check out (i.e. One thousand, eight hundred dollars).

I'd love for it to come back as an updated version.

"Check Card" anyone?  Ooooooh.  Coincidence both of those have been missing???
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 06:10:08 PM by JoePlinko »
"If we want the show to stay on, you have to support the show.  How can we lose an American classic?"  - Roger Dobkowitz