Author Topic: Academy Awards 2010 Are Over  (Read 1519 times)

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
Academy Awards 2010 Are Over
« on: March 08, 2010, 12:08:21 AM »
And...

WOW were these easy to predict. I don't think any single major analyst got the major categories wrong.
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline dh027

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Academy Awards 2010 Are Over
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 12:15:00 AM »
...and Sandra Bullock wins an Academy Award and two Razzies in the same year.  Quite an accomplishment.

Offline Disneyfreak

• Double Showcase Winner
  • facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 01:35:32 PM »
My thoughts--

The show was better than recent years I think.  I like the 45-second rule acceptance speech but didn't make the show over on-time; best actor and best actresses speeches were I think longer than others.  I liked the hosts, some of the winners, the memorial tribute, horror movies tribute, and the outfits some of them wore.

I bought and downloaded the movie that won best animated short Logomania on ITunes to see maybe this show's logo was used in it (anyone know?), I'd like to see it. 

I'd like to see Up, The Blind Side, Avatar, and Precious when it comes out on DVD to rent, all sounded good.

Ann aka Disneyfreak
facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
Add/Follow me on Social Media!!

Offline BobJacobsenVer1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 05:45:23 PM »
The show was better than recent years I think.  I like the 45-second rule acceptance speech but didn't make the show over on-time

As far as I know, they were about 45 minutes over..

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 11:52:57 AM »
The Hughes tribute was certainly a nice touch, although it would have helped to have had at least one member of the Candy family on stage as well for the occasion.  It's time they gave him his due after they brushed him over for years. 

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 01:20:53 PM »
Did anyone notice that they forgot Bea Arthur and Farrah Fawcett in the "In Memoriam" segment?

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 01:34:40 PM »
The reason they did it for Farrah I read is that they decided she was more of a TV actress than a film one. No clue about Bea, however.
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 08:56:53 PM »
The reason they did it for Farrah I read is that they decided she was more of a TV actress than a film one. No clue about Bea, however.

How many movies was MJ in?    How many was Farrah in?    They screwed up, they should just admit it.   

Bea did very few movies.   I don't have any issue with her being left out.   She was remembered at the Emmys.
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline Disneyfreak

• Double Showcase Winner
  • facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 11:28:51 PM »
I think maybe they should've also included Jett Travolta, he didn't appear in any movies but was the son of multi-Oscar nominated actor John Travolta.

The only two movies he made that had a major role was in "The Wiz" as Scarecrow and "This Is It" as himself.  He twice also appeared as himself in  movies "The Men In Black II" w/ Will Smith and the unreleased "Miss Cast Away and the Island Girls".  His song "Ben" received an Oscar nomination.

Farrah Fawcett appeared in a few major movies "Saturn 3"-a box office failure, "Cannonball Run" which did better, and "Extremities".  I agree her and Bea Authur shoud've been mentioned also. 

Ann aka Disneyfreak
facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
Add/Follow me on Social Media!!

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 11:38:26 PM »
I thought there were actually quite a few surprises.  For one, I did not expect to see The Hurt Locker take home so many Oscars.  I thought Avatar took too few.  C'mon, for the biggest grossing film (domestically) of all time, I don't think it got the honors it deserved; nor did Cameron, for that matter.  Although at this stage of his career, Cameron really doesn't need another "Oscar winner" title preceding his name.  I think he has garnered a respectable amount of success without the win!

Sandra's speech was amazing, as was Mo'Nique's.  I loved the dancers to the movie themes.  I did not care for Allen/Baldwin as cohosts this year.  Their humor was not, well, humorous to me. 

The show was too "sped up" at the end -- Hanks' speedread of the Oscar winner for best picture, which should have been the apex of the entire show, was read faster than my ears could keep up.  (I know they were behind on schedule, but what's another 60 seconds for crying out loud?)

Offline DRPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 04:23:32 AM »
Avatar had wonderful special effects, but the story and much of the acting felt just like cold, calculated and mechanical Hollywood fare.

As for the Academy Awards, all I have to say is who cares?

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 12:36:38 PM »
Quote from: PIR85
C'mon, for the biggest grossing film (domestically) of all time, I don't think it got the honors it deserved; nor did Cameron, for that matter.

Money does not equal quality.  Good special effects do not equal a good story.  Avatar deserved the awards it won because they were technical awards which Avatar clearly DID deserve.  I'm not sure it even deserved to be nominated for Best Picture, Director, etc.

James Cameron's legacy will be just fine without Avatar winning him more Oscars.

Quote from: DRPrice
Avatar had wonderful special effects, but the story and much of the acting felt just like cold, calculated and mechanical Hollywood fare.
That's part of the problem with Avatar - while there were "actors", much of the "acting" was manufactured in a computer.  It's safe to say that the Academy isn't ready to consider that "real" acting, and isn't ready to reward a movie like this with acting-related Oscars.

Quote from: DRPrice
As for the Academy Awards, all I have to say is who cares?
I do.
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.