Author Topic: April Fools Day show  (Read 12639 times)

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
April Fools Day show
« on: March 26, 2010, 12:21:49 PM »
Well they just showed a promo for thursdays show and if what is showed is what is happening, oh brother.

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: April Fools Day show
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 12:27:11 PM »
Since it was in the promo, I believe it's fair game to talk about it openly.  I missed today's show (and my DVR isn't working) so I won't get to see it.  What did the promo show happening?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 12:30:34 PM by brtsimpson142 »
Bazinga!

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 02:21:47 PM »
Actually they showed the promo during Y&R.  I won't say much unless it is approved by marc or john.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 03:03:47 PM »

The sad thing is, they don't seem to understand how to wrap up a joke.  It's April Fools.  We get it.  Do something funny and get on with it.  Last year they did the bit with the Groucho glasses.  Cute for the opening and Drew's entrance.  Tiresome 55 minutes later.

I keep being reminded of Gene Rayburn on Match Game.  That show had a much weaker format that Rayburn rightly concluded needed a little "goosing up" with humor.  And it made the show work.

'Price' has a very strong format with a set number of things that need to happen.  There's time for a little play in each segment, but there's a structure that really doesn't need to be messed with.  Sure, throw in a goofy showcase or an occasional joke prize for an item up for bids.

But the ongoing, drawn-out gags they're planning for this just screams "too much."
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline EyeMobileScott

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 04:51:17 PM »
I'm going to forecast that the majority on here is going to hate, hate, hate this episode. There seems to be a running sub-plot for this ep in the Kathy Kinney/Mimi-as-EP bit--and if there's one thing TPIR doesn't need, it's a sub-plot. Oh, for once we can long for the early eighties when the purpose of an April Fools Day showcase was to throw the unsuspecting contestant (and perhaps even the audience) for a fruit loop with a clever practical joke--which BTW, is the essence of April Fools Day.

I suppose all we can really hope for it that the context is set up neatly at the top of the show with Mimi spinning around on the turntable & exercising her rule (something we've seen already in the promo, not spoiling anything here) and one of the zaftig male models shows up during an IUFB to get a throwaway laugh then save the theme-inspired theatrics for the showcases. But based on experience we know the gags & overall ridiculousness (with maybe a rare exception [MG think cue & theme]) is going to be milked for a solid hour. Call me crazy, but it's not really April Fools Day if everyone gets clued in that it's April Fools Day April 1st and to expect whackiness via a televised spoiler on March 26th.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 06:28:17 PM »
Call me crazy, but it's not really April Fools Day if everyone gets clued in that it's April Fools Day April 1st and to expect whackiness via a televised spoiler on March 26th.

Well said.  Of course, on The Drew Carey Show, they also teased that there were going to be gags aplenty for their April Fool's Day shows... that just seems to be Drew's m.o.

Which reminds me, I wonder how they're getting away with so much Mimi from a legal perspective.  Presumably, Warner Brothers owns that character.  It's one thing to have her come out for a cameo.  It's another thing to build a whole show around her.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 06:30:30 PM »
Which reminds me, I wonder how they're getting away with so much Mimi from a legal perspective.  Presumably, Warner Brothers owns that character.  It's one thing to have her come out for a cameo.  It's another thing to build a whole show around her.

Given that WB has "The Drew Carey Show" DVD sets out for sale, they probably don't mind having the Mimi character out in the mainstream at least for a day.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline shieldsy101

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 06:51:14 PM »
I bet that the real April Fools is that there is a skunking or something close to it ....ugh.

BTW, I live in Australia, I heard some sort of rumor that Rich was going to replaced by a monkey for the entire show. Can anyone verify this, Mark, John, Steve, moderators, anyone?
Hurricane Microsoft - It'll make your Windows Crash
Andrew Hansen from the Chaser's War on Everything (Australian Comedy Series) discussing whether companies should brand a natural disaster

Offline mrbrown2195

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 07:02:34 PM »
BTW, I live in Australia, I heard some sort of rumor that Rich was going to replaced by a monkey for the entire show. Can anyone verify this, Mark, John, Steve, moderators, anyone?

Buzzerblog has a blurb about the episode. Yes, Rich is being replaced by a man in a monkey suit for the entire show.

Call me crazy, but it's not really April Fools Day if everyone gets clued in that it's April Fools Day April 1st and to expect whackiness via a televised spoiler on March 26th.

$10 says CBS/Price got some letters for last year's episode, which wasn't promoted at all, and wasn't revealed to be an "April Fools" gag until the very end of the show. If you were dense or forgot about the event, one would see Drew Carey + Price is Right + A lot of gags for no apparent reason = Drew Carey's Price is Right.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 07:43:54 PM »
This whole show smells of fail.  I did see the promo of the money suit, I thought it was just rich dressed up.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 07:46:22 PM by rodroddyfan »

Offline EyeMobileScott

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 08:27:54 PM »
$10 says CBS/Price got some letters for last year's episode, which wasn't promoted at all, and wasn't revealed to be an "April Fools" gag until the very end of the show. If you were dense or forgot about the event, one would see Drew Carey + Price is Right + A lot of gags for no apparent reason = Drew Carey's Price is Right.

Then CBS probably could have replied to those letters with something along the lines of "got ya!! April Fools!!" I think at this point everyone knows & understands that the PIR of yesteryear is gone & not coming back. This is who is (for all intensive purposes) running the show now and this is what to expect every April 1st (--and this is Drew's 3rd April Fools Day at TPIR...surely there aren't that many viewers out there who live so far under a rock to not know this is his usual M.O.). I mean, if CBS is so paranoid that by not warning their audience that on a commonly-known-about "holiday" they're going to see something a little different on that day's TPIR, it could induce apoplexy in some of their more sensitive viewers and thus invite multi-million dollar lawsuits, then why give the greenlight for the show in the first place? When did America lose it's sense of humor?

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Rod Roddy is not amused.
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 08:34:34 PM »
Apparently the day Roger was fired.

The actual retail price is...

Offline joeyboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 08:48:21 PM »
This is so not going to turn out well.

When did America lose it's sense of humor?

That's not the problem people are going to have with the show. The problem is the supposed "on-going" gags. This is a game show. People tune into game shows to watch people play games, and win prizes. This is the Price is Right, not the Drew Carey show. Something tells me that these gags are going to take away all the focus on the contestants, and the games, while also causing Drew to lose his focus. This will turn into a big mess.

Remember Jack Wagner?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 08:50:12 PM »
Something tells me that these gags are going to take away all the focus on the contestants, and the games, while also causing Drew to lose his focus.

From what I understand, the problem at this taping wasn't so much Drew losing his focus as the rest of the staff not even being sure what to focus on.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 10:07:29 PM »
I will bet alot of america will just flip the channel after seeing the mess that is ensuing with this show. I wonder who will be laughing in the chat that day.