Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 04/01/2010 (April Fools Price III)  (Read 61330 times)

Offline leafsfan17

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 04/01/2010 (April Fools Price III)
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2010, 05:44:40 PM »
This is definitely one of the best episodes of the year.
Dr. Pepper: Not recommended for Skype chats

Online tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2010, 05:56:34 PM »
And what was the nod to The Office in the credits?
"Pat" Richards is the Assistant to the Executive Producer.  Dwight Schrute (played by Rainn Wilson) plays the Assistant to the Regional Manager on The Office.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Online Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2010, 06:05:10 PM »
Let's just say that every special show should be set up like this.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2010, 06:11:55 PM »
Plinko:  Nice haul! :-)
One Away:  Rats! :-(  I liked how they had Mimi doing the horn.
Pick A Pair:  Nice job! :-)  Interesting item theme, too.
Range Game:  Almost dead center - wow! :-)  I liked Rachel as the stagehand.
Lucky Seven:  Very well played! :-)  
Double Prices:  Good job! :-)
Showcases:  That was neat how the showcases were the same till the end.

Great show today, IMHO.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 06:14:34 PM by Cartboy »
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline compdude512

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2010, 06:12:25 PM »
Either that, or Rich did the announcing live from a hidden corner backstage, because we saw him do little cameo spots during the second half (like during Range Game when he walked across the set on a cell phone)

If you look really closely, he was wearing a lav mic.  I don't see why he'd need a lav mic to just walk across the stage, so I think you may have it!

As for what I thought of the show, I have to say it was a lot different than I thought it was going to be--although I would've changed the whole "Pat" routine.  To me, that got old really quick and became borderline annoying with each subsequent calldown after One-Bid 2.

Now for Mimi.  Last year's show was a perfect example of how to integrate Mimi into the show the right way.  I didn't find Mimi distracting in the least during last year's show.  This year, we got "The Mimi Bobeck Show starring The Price is Right".  The whole dialog at the beginning of the show and during Showcase #2 detracted from what was supposed to be going on, IMO.  To me, it felt like they were more intent on whatever the storyline happened to be at the moment rather than focusing on gameplay.  The bit during One Away was semi-appropriate, as it integrated the gameplay with the dialog.  If I had to choose between gameplay and a storyline and simple gameplay, though, I'd choose simple gameplay any day.  It's less confusing for Joe Plinkos and LFATs alike.

Did I think the show was end-of-the-world terrible?  No.  A 5-out-of-6 day is always a good day to me.  Did I think what they did could have been retooled to be less detracting from the actual gameplay?  Yes, with a huge nod to last year, as to say, "this is how you execute an April Fools' Day show properly without getting too distracting."

Let's just say that every special show should be set up like this.

I 1000% agree with you on this.  Let's hope they do this for the next themed show they have coming up, which Buzzerblog is now reporting is another bridal shower show.  Hope that's not a spoiler.

Tyler
"We, in fact, like it when people criticize what we've done on the show because it means you're thinking about the show." -Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters.

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2010, 06:23:04 PM »
That's not a spoiler, it's a well-known fact. CBS sent out the press release today, but we've known about it for some time.

Offline godard

• In the Audience
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2010, 06:40:16 PM »
I think it would have been hilarious if the final contestant called up would be the only one with a different first name, like Englebert.

Too bad Pat from SC#2 didn't realize that all he was really bidding on was the convertible, and then tacking on a little extra money to his opponent's bid... unless he really thought that was a $15000 car.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2010, 06:54:33 PM »
Maybe Pat from SC#2 thought Pat from SC#1 overbid.  Pat (#2) might have known the convertible was about $20,000 and the other Pat overbid by $5,000 (or something like that).

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2010, 06:56:01 PM »
If you look really closely, he was wearing a lav mic.  I don't see why he'd need a lav mic to just walk across the stage, so I think you may have it!

When Drew made his joke about never making a mistake, you can hear Rich laughing at the ad-lib.  They certainly would not have prerecorded that.

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
Last years was much better, I thought the use of Mimi was fine.   Any more and they'd have had to edit out even more to squeeze it all in.

Now the Pat thing, well...It could have been so much worse.   It just wasn't funny.   Might have been better if they used Ezekial, but that wouldn't have been a unisex name.

I'm sort of dissappointed they didn't mess with the sound effects or the music.    I really wanted to hear the Match Game "think" music when the range finder was going up.

Oh well, guess I had such high hopes.
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline Johnnya2k4

• Walking the Golden Road
    • The AllenBlog
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2010, 07:15:47 PM »
And because everybody in the audience was named "Pat" (probably as an ode to Pat Sajak or Pat O'Brien), I think the real names of the contestants coming on down were all on cue cards.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2010, 07:37:49 PM »
Not surprising to most, here's my take:

My name is not Pat it's William and by cracky had they waited until THIS episode to call me, believe me the world would have known it was William.  We really could have done without it.  Also probably could have done without Rich being replaced by a monkey and I'd love to know what he thought about that.  And I'm sorry, but Mimi didn't need to be there or mention him making mistakes and then never have her call him out on anything, even if it was miniscule.

On the other hand, the 2nd showcase WAS THE FRIGGIN BOMB!  That was totally cool and it had the entire chatroom fooled top to bottom until the 2nd car was shown.  That's how you do it Mike. 

In closing, after seeing Drew's last few days and looking like he was actually, with a slight few exceptions finally (snaps fingers Richard Dawson-Running Man-style) "getting it", this happens.  Sure his hosting was good, but the Pat crap totally made this show blow and blow hard. 

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2010, 07:38:59 PM »
It sounded to me like the calldowns were edited in.  Maybe they had their real names called in the studio.

The actual retail price is...

Offline EyeMobileScott

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2010, 07:50:25 PM »
I guess I'm too observant sometimes: during the 2nd showcase, I knew the 2nd car was coming because I could see the reflection of "The City" (that's what I call that car backdrop behind the Mini Cooper) flashing in the side of the truck. Also, the showcase reveal was a little anti-climactic: I figured out Pat #7 had won his showcase even before Drew stepped over to read Pat #3's ARP....and I think Pat #3 figured it out at the same time too based on his expression.

Other than that and the whole "Pat" overkill, I'd say the show pulled itself back nicely from last year's episode.

Offline 444dd

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HYO #7 will be in a few months
    • My Youtube
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2010, 08:01:52 PM »
That was the funnest and best price episode ever.  Drew did a great job host (it takes mimi to get him to host good).  the only thing I did not like was the pat over kill.
That wasn't a showcase, that was an infomercial.