Author Topic: Recap -- 4/22/10  (Read 56689 times)

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Recap Placeholder -- 4/22/10
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2010, 09:49:28 PM »
Last time I checked, The Price Is Right was produced in California.

You know what?  I'm willing to wager more people would like to spend a week in the tropics than would want to be a stone's throw from the North Pole.

Last time I checked, the Arctic Circle extends through Northern Canada.. The prize was for a trip to the Arctic Circle; something that the show apparently was more than eager to offer, and advertise to American public as a place of interest to visit. There are millions of people from around the world (well over 9.9 million from the US alone last year) who want to come and explore Canada. So don't presume to think you know what more people would want. Your narrow mindedness has been well established here. The contestant was more than excited to have won the trip, and I'm willing to wager he'll have the adventure of a lifetime.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2010, 10:48:16 PM »
After reading your story, Bully... it sounds very similar to my experience three years ago. You didn't get called down, but based on what happened to you, you still walked out of that studio feeling like a winner.  :-)

You know what?  I'm willing to wager more people would like to spend a week in the tropics than would want to be a stone's throw from the North Pole.
Not Kristin... she would flip out over that trip. She's obsessed with polar bears.

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
I wanted that tesla won, but after reading how much the taxes were and the financial mess, I am glad he did lose it.  That is truely awesome john that rich did email you.  Rich is truely a class act.

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2010, 10:59:05 PM »
This is why that I think that no one should have to pay taxes on game show winnings.  It's just...plain wrong.
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2010, 11:01:04 PM »
It is, but hey, that is the govt for you.

Offline Otm Shank

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2010, 11:16:28 PM »
I'm thinking that Rich asked a page to show him my original e-ticket, which has my e-mail address on it.
You know, Rich really did not have to do that. The show was taped and done; there is no need to connect with fans after the fact. But he did, and that was very cool. To use the "loyal friend and true" really shows his respect he has for the fanbase.

They do not have this kind of money in their budget right now
Am I the only one who thought the Tesla was kinda dinky?
A trip to the Arctic Circle?  Come on.
Waaaaaaa-waaaaaaaaaah

Someone I knew won an Alaskan cruise in a raffle, which he took in February. Nice getaway from the frozen northeast, I thought. He told me how beautiful the trip was. It was free, so he didn't give a rat's ass that it wasn't the Caribbean cruise. And he still thought it was awesome.

Offline Disneyfreak

• Double Showcase Winner
  • facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2010, 11:48:27 PM »
This is the best that I can get for right now since I'm not good at screencaps:

The guy in the black shirt sitting next to the lady wearing the light blue shirt is me.

--Thanks for showing me the graphic!! 
Ann aka Disneyfreak
facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
Add/Follow me on Social Media!!

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2010, 12:14:04 AM »

I dunno...I wouldn't mind going in the summer.  A whole week where the sun virtually never sets would actually be pretty freakin' cool. 

Speaking of freakin' cool...

The guy in the black shirt sitting next to the lady wearing the light blue shirt is me.[/center]

Great to see you on air, John!  (Although, I have to admit I would have said I was the guy sitting next to the big ol' logo in the middle of the screen.  :P )  I just have to say one thing about your story, though:

Quote from: Guy Who's Not A Loser
During the next break, Rich came down from his podium to talk to us, and I got to hug him too.  As the crowd cheered, I remember Rich saying "you're a loyal friend and true," and for the first time in my whole life, I finally felt like a winner.  I have gone to eight previous tapings and felt like a loser each time, but this taping was very special to me.

Awesome.  I'm not sure I understand how anyone can walk out of that studio feeling like a loser, but I'm glad this finally makes up for all of that.  Promise me you'll never feel like a loser again, okay?   8)
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2010, 12:34:19 AM »
Okay, ready for the "Earth Day" special. Will I get to see some of the shirts from my tapings?

Golden Green Road: Oooh, that Green Road really got my attention. The uber-expensive Tesla did not catch my eye as much as the others--If Rhett wins it or not, oh, well. He gave it a good try. For the Tesla, I was thinking either 6 or 8.

One Bid 2: "Hey! Is that Trisha from Temptation? It is!" After discovering that, I uploaded her episodes of that "wonderful" revival of that show. So she made it on this show, huh?

One Wrong Price: [After capturing her episodes] "... And she gets to play? Well, let's hope she has some success here." She didn't.

pick a pair. since the coffee was too high the best alternative would be to pick the chips for the almonds

Showcase Showdown 1: Oh, Trisha always have to end up with smaller prizes, never a big prize....

Double Prices: Yep, so much energy is used on this show (Adrianna's spunk).

Plinko: Well, ya gotta win some green on Earth Day....

One Bid 6: The flowers (and her orange podium) done wilted for Julie...

Lucky Seven: Recalling a recent posting about how some of the things that were on the show a few years back that are no longer in play? Well, mewonders 5 is never gonna work for the last number in this game, even if the right number is one away.

Showcases: Yup, being green by spending green.

Well, it looks like the shirt recycling tactic that Fingers and Co. tried to do on my tapings fell through. I do not recall seeing any audience members' shirts. Oh, well.
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Offline penny_ante

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Old Penny board c 1982
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2010, 01:08:10 AM »
The guy in the black shirt sitting next to the lady wearing the light blue shirt is me.

I liked this shot of you better:

With the experience you had, there's no reason why you *shouldn't* feel like a winner. [/slightly jealous]
Penny Ante
1979-2002
RIP, Old Friend

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2010, 01:37:14 AM »
Were the props used today for "Green" Road "from-scratch" versions of the old props, or were they the old props retrofitted with some kind of green "rainbow" overlay on them?

I think they were overlays.  The innermost color stripe of the rainbows on each of the prize podiums is dark green.  If you look at the "Green Road" sign in particular, right behind the grocery item, you can see the uncovered green stripe when the rainbow meets the cloud base.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline olmec26

• Outside in Line
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2010, 03:56:26 AM »
All this talk about taxes and being glad the game wasn't won - couldn't he have simply declined the prize if he had won?

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2010, 07:25:57 AM »
For a moment there I thought Drew was going to do a Bob-like reveal at the Tesla (going to show the number, then stopping to say something, then going back, then stopping at least once more, etc.) He hasn't tried it in a good while.

No rainbow at the end of the Green Road. A couple of plasma screens and some plants? Yes!  :-)

Great experience, GoldenBulldog.

Offline clemsonfight

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2010, 07:28:04 AM »
So why couldn't he sell the car if he won, pay the taxes and keep what's left. I don't know how much they tax that but it seems like that'd be a good amount of money would it not? That's what I always figured I'd do if I was ever on the show and won some hugely expensive prize like that. But maybe there's something I don't know. lol

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2010, 08:42:11 AM »
Last time I checked, the Arctic Circle extends through Northern Canada.. The prize was for a trip to the Arctic Circle; something that the show apparently was more than eager to offer, and advertise to American public as a place of interest to visit. There are millions of people from around the world (well over 9.9 million from the US alone last year) who want to come and explore Canada. So don't presume to think you know what more people would want. Your narrow mindedness has been well established here.

It's narrow-minded to wonder why they would offer a trip to a place that immediately makes you think of the temperature being freezing cold?

Someone I knew won an Alaskan cruise in a raffle, which he took in February. Nice getaway from the frozen northeast, I thought. He told me how beautiful the trip was. It was free, so he didn't give a rat's ass that it wasn't the Caribbean cruise. And he still thought it was awesome.

I have no problem with Alaskan cruises, because there are some very nice places in Alaska, and I'd think the show would have enough sense to send people to those places.

Maybe the trip to the Arctic Circle is nice, too...but it sounds awful.  It's no different than CheapTickets or Skunkfunk -- they might have great tickets and nice clothes, but they sound cheap and ugly, respectively.  The current staff doesn't seem to understand that making things sound good is an important part of presenting them.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.