Author Topic: Wheel of a small Fortune  (Read 4724 times)

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
Re: Wheel of a small Fortune
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 12:06:17 AM »
The contestants get $500 for each letter if they call a consonent and it's in the puzzle when landing on Free Play FYI.
When was the last time someone called a consonant while they were sitting on Free Play (and aware of it)?
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline WooWho

• TPiR Alumnus
  • 1/20/2010
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2010, 12:36:56 AM »
How many times do I have to point out that there are two $1,000 wedges on the wheel during the Mystery Round?

Isn't this two wrongs making a right?  The difference between $1,000 for a house minimum and $1,000 in parting gifts and the difference between a $200 and the old parting gifts are pretty similar.

Those aren't permanent $1,000 wedges, though.  There's still a huge gap between $900 and $3500 in Round Two, and from $900 to $5000 in Round Four and onward.

Were the parting gifts really that much back then?

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2010, 07:55:20 AM »
The $7907 winning total on Thursday's show has got to be one of the smallest winning totals during the Prize Puzzle/three toss-ups era, no? And Wheel of a Small Fortune aired on CBS/NBC from July 1989-September 1991, no? :)

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2010, 11:21:50 PM »
I know it does irk me when someone will spin $300 and find one letter, then immediately buy a vowel.  I know I did do a WoF pet peeve thread a while back but that is past the 30 day threshold to bump it.  Now honestly, if I hit the million dollar wedge and called the right letter to pick the wedge up,I probably would buy vowels every chance I got.   

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 09:57:58 AM »
I barely watch WoF anymore, though I grew up with it, watching it in the mid to late 90s with my mom. They could really get rid of half the crap they put on the wheel nowadays, particularly the gift tags. Though I do like the Mystery wedges and the Wild Card.

You mean the edible Wild Card.

Anyway:

Don't forget Free Play has Free Spin involved in it, so you still get the chance if something happens.

As for the Final Spin Round: The 1000 added to the 5K wedge when Pat hits it is kind of stupid, it should stay at 5000. The 300 - 900 wedges should be given the 1K bonus (or just replaced with wedges for the final rounds from 1300 - 1900).
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline nowhammies11

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The blood of angry men, the dark of ages past
    • The Whammy's Blog
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 11:08:24 AM »
OR bring $1000 and $1500 out of retirement.

(FWIK, there is a retirement village in Wheel World, where they all play cards with Free Spin.)
YOU CAN NEVER STOP :clipboard:

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 11:58:30 AM »
As for the Final Spin Round: The 1000 added to the 5K wedge when Pat hits it is kind of stupid, it should stay at 5000. The 300 - 900 wedges should be given the 1K bonus (or just replaced with wedges for the final rounds from 1300 - 1900).

In theory, yes, but in practice, it's easier to just have a blanket "$1,000 on top of everything" as opposed to "$1,000 on top of everything that isn't made of sparkley silver glitter."

Offline godgundam10

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 03:13:36 AM »
Here's what I think Wheel should do for Season 28:

First off, the wheel itself needs an upgrade. I don't know how to post images on this board and I'm not going to try out of concern my PC will either crash or I'll screw up the server.
The top dollar amounts are $2,500 in R1, $3,500 in R2, $4,000 in R3 and $5,000 in R4 and beyond. $1,000 and $1,500 also return.
There are still three Toss-ups, but they're placed in different intervals. There's one for $1,000 to start the game. The $2,000 is before R3 and the $3,000 is before R4.
A prize is added to the wheel in R1 and R3.
The Jackpot round is moved back to R2 and Pat will announce the sponsor as it would only take about 7 seconds as opposed to Charlie announcing it and doing a whole intro.
Also, the first two rounds are played before the first commercial.
Players who pick up a prize or gift tag get whatever amount is underneath after they call a letter.
The Free Spin is brought back, but the Free Play will remain as well.
If a player solves the puzzle in the same round the get the Wild Card, they won't lose it if they hit Bankrupt. 
There's only one Bankrupt in the first two rounds. After that there are two, like in the past.
A new bonus card is introduced called "Safeguard" which protects a player from one Bankrupt.
The commercials at the end of the show are replaced with product plugs in the dulcet tones of Charlie O'Donell.
Finally, the 1989 "Changing Keys" theme is brought back. "Happy Wheels" doesn't make me happy.

In the words of Joel Robinson, "What do you think, sirs?"

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 05:27:44 AM »
Honestly, I wouldn't make most, if any, of those changes, especially the ones that go backwards.  The show has stayed where it is in the ratings by being fresh with its game play.  A couple of specific thoughts....

A toss-up before round 3 defeats the good thing they have going now--as it's always been, everyone gets to start a round at least once. 

As for the announcement of the sponsor--the sponsors pay for the whole intro, visual and all.  Charlie's get the better voice for it, too.  No dice.  Ditto on end of game product plugs--it isn't 1984 anymore; the sponsors pay for their own mini-spots, period. 

Two rounds before commercial 1 packs too many spots into the last part of the show.  Sponsors don't want that kind of clutter. 

Offline godgundam10

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 06:19:41 AM »
What about increasing the money due to inflation? There's no reason not to bring back some of the other 4 digit spaces and there's no reason to have $3,500 in two rounds. They should either have $5,000 in every round after 3 or have some middle ground. They also need to update the Wheel template. They've had the same one for 14 years. Time for an upgrade. There are too many $300 spaces.

And as for the commercial pacing, they barely have enough time to play four rounds. By the time Round 4 happens, Pat has to make his final spin. Barely enough exposure for the $5K space. We need less commercial breaks, more gameplay. Soon enough, TV will be nothing but commericals.

Offline Mario_75

• In Contestant's Row
  • AN AY-UF
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2010, 12:18:51 PM »
In the words of Joel Robinson, "What do you think, sirs?"

Top Dollar Amounts: I think they're fine the way they are now, but I wouldn't mind moving $5,000 to Round 3 and making the top dollar amount in Round 4 $7,500 in a few years.
$1,000/$1,500: I definitely agree that we need more spaces higher than $900 besides the Mystery Wedges. $1,250 and $2,000 would be nice to see again.
Toss-Ups: Your method of Toss-Ups isn't very fair. If they have one before Round 3, then that means there's a chance that one player will never have the chance to start a round.
Prizes: More than one prize would be nice, but we have Prize Puzzles, plus the yellow $400 where the second prize used to go is now Free Play. I don't think we need anymore tokens and wedges on the wheel.
Jackpot: I do agree that it was better as Round 2. If they're going to leave it as Round 1, they should at least do SOMETHING with Round 2. Maybe a permanent Prize Puzzle round?
Bankrupts: I liked the way they had it last season, but I would put one in Round 1, two in Rounds 2 and 3, but still have two in Round 4, but not next to the $5,000.
Safeguard: See "Prizes" statement above. "Invincibility" would be a better name anyway.
Credits: Agreed. The older credit plugs were better and didn't feel like a quick commercial break and then come back only for the credits.
Classic Theme: As much as I like the classic themes, it would seem a bit out of place, like the Combs Feud theme on the current version. Maybe a new CK arrangement?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 12:20:34 PM by Mario_75 »
P-P-P-Poker Game, P-P-Poker Game (muh muh muh muh)

Offline jzion12345

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2010, 12:43:26 PM »
They gave away more money last season than in any other season in the history of the show, not even including the Million Dollar win. Plus the economy tanked. Hence the TDV being next to the bankrupt each round. Hence all these attempts to save some money. They most likely get all their prizes sponsored. The jackpot round is sponsored...basically, the show needs to save some money. Nothing of what people here say will make a lick of difference. No matter if the show gets the best ratings ever, if it doesn't make money, it doesn't survive.

Offline scottycmh

• In the Audience
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2010, 07:22:35 PM »
When was the last time someone called a consonant while they were sitting on Free Play (and aware of it)?

If they weren't aware they were on the Free Play, why would they call a vowel after spinning?  The default after spinning is to call a consonant...

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2010, 07:52:16 PM »
Not my question.  My question was 'Once they saw they were sitting on Free Play, did they still call a consonant?'   I realize that people reflexively pick consonants when the wheel stops, which is the only time I've seen a contestant pick one on Free Play.

Offline larryboy389

• In the Audience
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2010, 07:56:21 PM »
Top Dollar Amounts: I think they're fine the way they are now, but I wouldn't mind moving $5,000 to Round 3 and making the top dollar amount in Round 4 $7,500 in a few years.
$1,000/$1,500: I definitely agree that we need more spaces higher than $900 besides the Mystery Wedges. $1,250 and $2,000 would be nice to see again.
Toss-Ups: Your method of Toss-Ups isn't very fair. If they have one before Round 3, then that means there's a chance that one player will never have the chance to start a round.
Prizes: More than one prize would be nice, but we have Prize Puzzles, plus the yellow $400 where the second prize used to go is now Free Play. I don't think we need anymore tokens and wedges on the wheel.
Jackpot: I do agree that it was better as Round 2. If they're going to leave it as Round 1, they should at least do SOMETHING with Round 2. Maybe a permanent Prize Puzzle round?
Bankrupts: I liked the way they had it last season, but I would put one in Round 1, two in Rounds 2 and 3, but still have two in Round 4, but not next to the $5,000.
Safeguard: See "Prizes" statement above. "Invincibility" would be a better name anyway.
Credits: Agreed. The older credit plugs were better and didn't feel like a quick commercial break and then come back only for the credits.
Classic Theme: As much as I like the classic themes, it would seem a bit out of place, like the Combs Feud theme on the current version. Maybe a new CK arrangement?

I agree with all of those.
I'm leaving for at least a while.