Author Topic: "Atínale al Precio" 2010 Pricing Game List  (Read 9915 times)

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
"Atínale al Precio" 2010 Pricing Game List
« on: May 02, 2010, 06:08:35 PM »
Since Atínale is back with some new games, I thought I'd list them here with translated names, for those of you who are curious.

Atínale airs three days a week, and no games have debuted or re-debuted since episode 6, so I think all their active games have now been shown.

First, here are the "classic" games that have made it to the revival:

A la 1, a las 2, y a las 3---"One, Two, Three"---"Easy as 1 2 3"
~The Mexican name is a sort of childish way of saying "Ready, Set, Go" (just like you might count off "one, two, three" befiore jumping off a high dive or something).

El Apreton---"The Pinch/The Squeeze"-- Squeeze Play

El Cambalache---"The Swap"---Switch?

Con melon o con sandia--- "With melon or with watermelon?"---Double Prices
~Just to make Double Prices a little more fun, each price is symbolized by a kind of fruit. "Con melon o con sandia?" is a question you might commonly be asked by a waiter at brunchtime.

Contrapeso---"Counterweight"---Balance Game

Contra Reloj---"Against the Clock"---Race Game

Donde quedo la bolita?---"Where did the ball end up?"---Shell Game
~Bonus prize is MX$5000, which is almost what US contestants get.

El Derroche---"The Splurge"---Hi-Lo
~For some reason, Hi-Lo is described a little like Shopping Spree. Marco advises the contestant to spend as much as possible.

Echatelo a la bolsa---"Throw it in the bag"---"It's in the Bag"
~ Prize is MX$40,000

Esta Carisimo---"It's Very Expensive!"---That's Too Much!

Hoyo en Uno/Dos---"Hole in One/Two"
~Bonus is MX$5,000, almost what we offer here.

La Llave Maestra---"Master Key"

La Montana Siniestra---"The Sinister Mountain"---Cliff Hangers
~ The mountain climber is named "Pancho el alpinista"

Numero a la casa---"Number on the house"---Pick a Number
~ This sounds a little crazy if you don't see the set, which is shaped like a house, and the price is supposed to be the address. In Spanish, when you have permanently settled into a new situation, you say "I've put the number (i.e., the address) on the house."

Plinko---Plinko---Plinko
~$100,000 top prize...money amounts are completely different except for the zeroes and the center slot having the big prize.

El Tiempo es Oro---"Time is Gold"---Clock Game
~Contestant gets 45 seconds because all prizes are 4 digits, and numbers take longer to say in Spanish.

Uno Arriba, Uno Abajo---"One Up, One Down"---One Away
~The contestant has to ask "la guera" how many numbers they have right, and be nice about it. I have no idea who or what a "guera" is, but some things Marco has said makes me think she is the owner of the car lot, a la "Crazy Rachel".

3 Strikes---3 Strikes---3 Strikes
~Baseball is right popular in Mexico, and for the most part, they borrow all our terminology. If the contestant loses, the announcer calls out "Ponchado!", which means "Strike out".

4 Rounds---4 Rounds---Punch a Bunch
~ Boxing theme is prevalent here; a boxing bell goes off before each contestant's punch.

5 Precios en busca de un premio---"5 Prices in search of a prize"---Five Price Tags
~ In what might be the most literate reference in any pricing game name, this one is a shoutout to the stage play "Six Characters in Search of an Author" by Pirandello.

Now, here are games that have debuted in the latest version. Most of these are games that have debuted in the US since Mexico's version first went off the air, but some have been around for a long time.:

Aguila o sol---"Eagle or sun?"---Flip-Flop
~ An eagle and a sun are the graphics that appear on either side of a Mexican peso coin.

El Cambiadero---"The change-around"---Switcheroo
~That's the best translation I can come up with. One of the only games that uses small prizes rather than groceries; unfortunately for contestants, they have 3-digit prices, and the tens' digit is the one that's always missing.

Cubre precios---"Cover prices"---"Cover Up"
~The first number has only one choice to cover the wrong number up with.

Limite de Credito---"Credit Limit"---Credit Card
~ Credit Card has already gone through a name change; it was called "Cash Machine" at first, since then the game has been decorated with the name of a Mexican bank, and the name was updated. I'm not completely sure "Limite" is a new game for Atinale.

Pasa el peso---"Pass the peso"---Pass the Buck
~Whereas 'pass the buck' is actually an expression in English, 'pasa el peso' doesn't really mean anything in Spanish, but it is nicely alliterative. The set is themed around peso coins.

Paso a Pasito---"Step by Step"---Step Up
~the cash prizes are MX$5,000, MX$10,000, and MX$15,000, which are not much less than our cash bonuses in the US.

Rodar y rodar---"Roll and Roll"---Let 'em Roll

Tanque Lleno---"Full tank"---Gas Money

Vamos a mitas---"Let's Split It"---Half Off
~ This is a pretty loose translation; when the check comes, and you think you and your partner should split the bill exactly, "vamos a mitas" is what you might suggest.

Vienes o te vas?---"Are you coming, or going?"---"Coming or Going"

Offline WooWho

• TPiR Alumnus
  • 1/20/2010
Re: "Atínale al Precio" 2010 Pricing Game List
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 01:46:09 AM »
Some of the games that didn't make Atinale 2010 (so far, anyway):

Trece de la Suerte--Lucky 13--Lucky $even

Los Cazadores del Precio Perfecto--The Hunters of the Perfect Price--Pathfinder

Digitoaventura--"Digit Adventure"--Any Number
The piggy bank only had one decimal place, so an amount down there would read, for example, 75.1--> 75.10 pesos.  Was played for 5-digit cars.

La Ganga--The Bargain--Barker's Bargain Bar

Tentacion--Temptation

Dame Carta--"Give me a card"--Card Game

Por Un Lado o El Otro--On One Side or the Other--Side by Side

Also, they had versions of Line 'em Up, Dice Game, Money Game, and Golden Road (whose Spanish names I don't know).

For Money Game, the player would have to find the 2nd and 3rd numbers together and the last two numbers.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 09:37:40 AM »
Also, they had versions of Line 'em Up, Dice Game, Money Game, and Golden Road (whose Spanish names I don't know).

I remember that Line em Up was something like "Lineas de Fortuna," which I'm pretty sure translates roughly to "Lines of Luck" or "Lucky Lines."
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Mario_75

• In Contestant's Row
  • AN AY-UF
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 12:33:16 PM »
Los Cazadores del Precio Perfecto--The Hunters of the Perfect Price--Pathfinder

The last word was "Perdido," not "Perfecto." The game's Spanish title spoofs the title of the Spanish version of "Raiders of the Lost Ark." (Los Cazadores Del Arca Perdida)
P-P-P-Poker Game, P-P-Poker Game (muh muh muh muh)

Offline WooWho

• TPiR Alumnus
  • 1/20/2010
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 10:00:32 PM »
You're both right--Line 'em Up was indeed "La Linea de la Fortuna", which is "Lucky Line".

And Spelling Bee was also ported there in '97, called "El Panal" (The Honeycomb).  Except there, you had to find A-U-T-O with the same five cards, worth 2000 pesos each.

Offline WooWho

• TPiR Alumnus
  • 1/20/2010
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 05:05:50 AM »
A few additions:

Money Game was "De Par en Par" (Pair by Pair).

Apparently they also had a version of Superball, believe it or not.  On the video I see I can't make out the first word of the game, but it appears to be "___ros y el Pilon".  Can anyone fill in the blanks?

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 12:45:55 PM »
"Ojo!" as Marco Antonio would say...a new game debuted on episode 12. "Cero de la Fortuna", "Zero of Fortune", is a seven-product version of Grand Game played for MX$100,000. Marco mentioned on the air that it was a new game, but I'm pretty sure it existed under another name on the old version. It features a rotating wheel of products that looks like it was borrowed from Pick a Pair. Also, when the game starts there's a huge "$1" standing on the stage, and whenever the contestant picks a correct product, a model carries over a zero to put next to it. Finally, contestants lose any pesos accumulated during the game if they pick an over-expensive product.

Offline WooWho

• TPiR Alumnus
  • 1/20/2010
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 03:19:23 PM »
Sounds like an easier $100,000 to win than on Plinko...

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 06:21:42 PM »
Bumping to add...

Digitoventura..."Digit-adventure"...Any Number
~ First two digits of car revealed free. Otherwise identical to US version.

Caja Fuerte..."The Safe (Strong-box)"...Safe Crackers
~ Strange rule changes here. The combination has four digits, with the first digit given free. Then, if the contestant doesn't guess it right the first time, they press a button on a small "psychic safe" to find out how many they have right, and get to try again. I'm serious!

Cuanto fue?..."How Much Was it?"...Check Out
~ So called because the host says "You guessed the milk was five pesos; how much was it?"

Offline WooWho

• TPiR Alumnus
  • 1/20/2010
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 09:33:14 AM »
As of episode 26, "Vamos a Mitas" has doubled its top prize to MX$40,000.

Offline Charlie Halliwell

• Outside in Line
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 08:36:44 AM »
I have no idea who or what a "guera" is
The word "guero" ("guera" for females) describes a white-skinned or a blonde person.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:51:17 AM by Charlie Halliwell »

Offline Charlie Halliwell

• Outside in Line
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 08:41:18 AM »
Last week, "Trece de la suerte" (Lucky $even) debuted. I don't remember the exact date (I think it was on Monday). The contestant lost.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:51:39 AM by Charlie Halliwell »

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 10:21:42 AM »
The word "guero" ("guera" for females) describes a white-skinned or a blonde person.

Thanks; I actually figured that out since the last post. The question is, how did a "guera" get to be the person they ask how many numbers they got right?