Author Topic: Field of 64 Pricing Games - IT'S ALL OVER!!!  (Read 121874 times)

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
Field of 64 Pricing Games - IT'S ALL OVER!!!
« on: October 29, 2006, 03:50:41 PM »
Thanks to everyone for voting.  Hope you had fun!

"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline gauchodirk

• In Contestant's Row
Re: Field of 64 Pricing Games - Week7
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 04:10:08 PM »
Race vs. BBB: I enjoy both of these games, and Race probably deserves a higher seed than #6.  Race Game has a great cue for the prize reveal (when they actually play it, that is) and a great set; the jukebox with the handle is very unique.  The gameplay is superb and often dramatic, plus there's often a haul to be had if the contestant wins.  Barker's Bargain Bar is an original two-prizer, better than most of the other two prizers, and I'll always remember it from when I was a kid.  But that won't help it against Race, which takes this one handily.

Race Game wins 9-2.

TC vs. Bonkers: Ten Chances has always been one of my favorite car games.  I like the set, the gameplay, the zero rule, and everything else.  I even like the prize reveals: the dinky first prize (like a DVD), the bigger prize, and then the "or how about a new car!"  Bonkers is a good one-prizer because of its Race Game-esque play with the clock and the higher-lower aspect.  Against many other games, Bonkers would have fared better, but for me, Ten Chances is going to be a tough game to beat.

Ten Chances wins 8-3.

Offline sternal

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 04:11:57 PM »
Race Game vs  Barker Bargain Game
Race game is a fast pace game and very enjoyable to watch.  Barker Bargin game is another enjoyable game to watch. Tough call here but Race game wins 6-5.

Ten Chances vs Bonkers
This one is much easier to decided.  While Bonkers is Almost smilar to Race Game. Ten Chances is most Enjoy game to watch.
Ten chances Win 8-3

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Currently, I live in the past.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 04:20:41 PM »
First Matchup:

Going against many people here, I don't like Race Game all that much.  It does have a cool set but it gets annoying when contestants look to the audience for help.  BBB, IMO, is one of the better quickie games.  Still, a close matchup.

Barker's Bargain Bar, 6-5

Second Matchup:

This is a really interesting one, because both games can really annoy you when you get contestants who don't know how to play them.  Ten Chances has the zero rule, and Bonkers has contestants that look to the audience.  However, both are good in terms of gameplay, and their sets.  Bonkers should not be a #14 seed, since it could beat a lot of other games, but not Ten Chances.

Ten Chances, 7-4

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 04:38:17 PM »
Race Game v BBB

Race Game is a great 4 prize game. It has a cool set, great think music, yet at times draws contestants who simply do not have a clue-always looking to the audience.

Bargain Bar is a quickie. Not better than Switch, but better than 1 Right Price. To me, Bar is just there.

Race Game wins 8-3

Ten Chances v Bonkers

Bonkers is a great 1 prizer in the vein of Race Game. A la Race Bonkers draws a lot of contestants who spend more time looking to the audience rather than placing the disks and paying attention to the price given and using common sense.

Ten Chances is a classic car game, simple to play but also draws clueless contestants. Bob however always brings out the best even when this game, chastising the contestants and so forth, is played awful so that is what helps this one.

Ten Chances wins in a squeaker 6-5.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 04:48:33 PM »
Race Game vs Bargain Bar- Both games have a great set.  End of comparison.  Race Game is a much more fun game to see and it would probably be very fun to play.  Race Game has a nice playing schedule while BBB is usually overplayed.  I love the cues used in the game also.  Bargain Bar is just a boring 2 prize game if you take away it's great set.  The prices flipping are sort of interesting and I like the cue at the beginning somewhat but otherwise I don't really like seeing it.
My score: Race Game- 9 Bargain Bar- 2

Ten Chances vs Bonkers- Ten Chances is a pretty good game that can sometimes be either annoying or amusing, and occasionally suspensful.  It's not the most exciting game or the most creative game in the world but it's straight simple pricing and a game that shouldn't be lost that much.  It has an alright set but I liked the previous buttons better.  And the reveal makes it predicable what game will be played.  Bonkers is fun, has a great set, a nice concept, and has some creativity.  It's probably my favorite 1-prize game.  It, like Ten Chances, can be annoying and it should be won often.  My only real complaint about it is that it uses random guessing and sometimes can be set up too easy.
My score: Bonkers- 6 Ten Chances- 5

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 04:51:29 PM »
Race Game vs. Bargain Bar

Race Game is my favorite game.  Favorite reveal, favorite prize cue, favorite set, favorite everything.

Bargain Bar is fun, quick, but gets crushed in the competition.

Racey over Bargain 10-1.

--

Ten Chances vs Bonkers!

Ten Chances is a great game that can bring out either the best or worst in Barker.  Also brings out the best and worst of the contestants too.

Bonkers is a fun game and has a cool set.  I'm reminded of one playing that's at tpir.tv where Bonkers kinda goes crazy (they couldn't hear the buzzer/bells, lights randomly popping on, the speed of the contestant).

However...Chances beats out Bonkers 6-5.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 05:23:53 PM »
Race Game has always been one of my favorites.  The set is cool with the huge jukebox.  It has great gameplay of racing against the clock to win four prizes.  The saloon music that accompanies the contestant running around is awesome.  Barker's Bargain Bar is one of the better quick two-prize games with its gold, glitzy setup and the trilons that don't work occasionally, so the models have to turn them by hand.  Sometimes, it's hard to tell which prize is more below its ARP.

In the end, Race Game wins 8-3.

Ten Chances has always been a favorite of mine, its gameplay of writing down a price for a prize using scrambled digts is good.  I love the huge wicker set that has been around for over 30 years, albeit without the old buttons.  Sometimes it's hilarious to see contestants bungle their way through the game and then they win.  Bonkers is one of my favorite one-prizers.  The set is cool with the clock, discs, and flashing lights.  The music that accompanies the countdown is also cool.  I hate when contestants look to the audience as time runs out and lose.  The moment when Bonkers went bonkers during Season 31 is a memorable blooper.

Tough call, but Ten Chances wins 6-5.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 05:25:59 PM »
As for the 11-0 scores... at least in the Plinko/Balance Game matchup, there seemed to be a lot of that going both for and against Plinko, so that seemed to kinda' cancel each other out, anyway.  But I didn't really count it all, either, so maybe Balnce Game got more than Plinko?  I feel bad for That's Too Much, which really got unfairly punished with haters, though.

Seems odd that Race Game and Bonkers wound up so that they could both easily be up against each other so quickly.

Anyway, Race Game versus Barker's Bargain Bar... not a hard choice.  Barker's Bargain Bar has a great set, and little else.  Race Game has a great jukebox, and while the set is overall probably not quite as good as Barker's Bargain Bar's, it's got the really cool gameplay going for it, of racing around every which way to place tags, pulling the handle, with the great neon number inside the jukebox... hurry back, make changes, hurry up!  Barker's Bargain Bar has a better, more suspenseful price reveal than One Right Price or Switch?--and a better set, of course--but in the end, it's still just a prettied-up mostly-uninteresting game.

Race Game wins:  10-1

Ten Chances versus Bonkers... this one's trickier.  Both are quite fun games.  Neither has a truly great set, but still, you have to respect Ten Chances' set anyway, just for being around, practically unchanged, for three decades.  Even if it isn't one of my favorite sets, it'd still be kinda' sad if it were ever changed.

Ten Chances has one advantage over Bonkers, surely:  it's usually more interesting to watch a bad Ten Chances playing over a bad Bonkers playing.  But on the other hand, a good Bonkers playing tends to just feel really great, while a good Ten Chances playing, while good, just doesn't quite do the same for me.

So what else is there?  Bonkers has the fun, similar-to-Race Game action, of a contestant running back and forth, trying to put the paddles right, which is truly engrossing, particularly when played quickly.  Ten Chances is fun to watch, and fun to make fun of whoever's playing it from the living room... but in the end, Bonkers just has that slight edge.

Bonkers wins:  6-5

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 05:38:04 PM »
Race Game is one of the better multiprize games in the rotation with its exciting reveal, use of great music cues like the "Phone Home Game" cue and "200B", fast-paced gameplay, and ever-present "jukebox".  The only disadvantages are 1) this game is not the best one in the rotation for older contestants, and 2) many of its contestants feel the need to waste precious time by canvassing the audience.  Bargain Bar probably has the best set of all the 2-prize quickies.  Other than that, it just kinda... sits there.  Nothing much is notable about this game except for the rare times that the trilons malfunction and the models have to flip them by hand.

A comfortable win for Race Game, 9-2.

And what do you get when you cross Race Game and Dice Game?  Bonkers!  A fast-paced 1-prize game (with crazy background music to boot) where you must guess whether each digit should be higher or lower.  Like Race Game, many contestants poll the audience and it eats up valuable time.  Also frustrating is when contestants put disks "high" on the 8s or "low" on the 2s.  Going from the PG that has a time limit to the PG that has a time limit that has never been executed, Ten Chances is also notorious for its horrible playings by many of its contestants (per the lack of knowledge of the unwritten "zero rule").  Also one of the few PGs where we see perfect examples of "Bob being Bob".  10C has a great reveal of its prizes (accompanied by the music cue "Sam" for the first two prizes and often "Bean Stalker" for the car) and that huge green set with white lattice fencing that has changed little in 30 years.

Gotta give this one to Chances, 8-3.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 05:50:25 PM »
I'm glad you mentioned the 11-0 overkill, Bob. I've only given one 11-0 because I truly thought the competition was an absolute no contest. I might not care for some games, but I'm not going to completely blank 'em out unless I really feel that they deserve it.

Race Game is my favorite four-prizer. I love the set, gameplay, the music and classic prize reveal. One of my favorite Barkerisms is "OnyourmarkgetsetGO!"

Barker's Bargain Bar has a cool set. That's it for me. I've never been a fan of this game. Too dull, overplayed and quite predictable (Nine out of ten times you have to pick the prize with the lowest price). It's often played for cheapo prizes , but they do throw in some nice stuff every once in a while.

If it wasn't for the set this would be a complete whitewash.

Race Game 10-1

Ten Chances can drive me nuts! We all know the zero rule, but it sure seems that most of the people who play this game don't! I like the wicker set (Don't ask me why!), and I'll give it an extra point for the music cue it uses in the beginning of the game.

Like Ten Chances, Bonkers! can also drive me nuts. People, PLEASE DON'T LOOK INTO HE AUDIENCE FOR HELP! It is a fun, fast paced game with the gnarly set with Hot Tamale fonts aplenty.

Wow. Really close! Gonna hafta go with Wickermania. More memorable moments than Bonkers!.

Ten Chances 6-5
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

• Outside in Line
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006, 06:09:33 PM »
I give Race Game the 9-2 nod over Barkers Bargain Bar because of the fact that sometimes if you get a terribly clueless contestant it can make it almost humorous and I give Bonkers the 7 to 4 edge over Ten Chances because of the humorous blooper that happened when the game malfunctioned and the blue lights lit up prematurely to show the contestant where to place the disks.

Offline Marcello L. Silva

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 07:03:14 PM »
Race game vs. Barkers Bargain Bar (or the Bargain Game as I like to call it)

No questions asked here, I always like pricing games played with a lot of pace and fast thinking and that goes to Race Game, the correct number display on Race Game looks very cool BTW. Barker's Bargain game on the other hand as a very cool set and it's a good knowledgeable game especially when it's played for 2 trips.

Gotta give this one to Race Game 6-5 cause I like fast paced game.

10 chances vs. Bonkers.

10 chances can sometimes be a confusing game to some cause some folks don't know about the 0 rule, but aside that I think 10 chances is a fun game, i like the set and I really like how people think in this game, as for Bonkers (see what I said about race game above)

really close, but gottta say bonkers 7-4

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2006, 07:40:08 PM »
(6) Race Game vs. (11) Barker's Bargain Bar- Race Game is definitely one of the classics. As long as a contestant doesn't botch it by constantly looking to the audience, it's a fun game. There's just not much to Bargain Bar. So, this one's a pretty easy decision... Race Game 9, Barker's Bargain Bar 2

(3) Ten Chances vs. (14) Bonkers- Apply everything I said about Race Game to Bonkers. What's more, it's even faster, making it even more exciting. Ten Chances used to be fun to watch, but as everyone knows, the contestants that have played it in the past year or so have made it agonizing to watch. You don't have to let them know about the zero rule, but there needs to be a visible 10-second clock. If we have to sit through watching a bad contestant write prices that don't end in zero, at least make it go by quickly. Until that change happens (if ever), it's just not going to be a game I look forward to seeing... Bonkers 8, Ten Chances 3

Wow... what's funny is, I never except to type more than a line or two when I vote, and it ends up being a long paragraph. Writing is easy when you're interested in what you're writing about (take note, schools).

sideshowPA wrote:
AN OPEN LETTER WHO LIKE TO THOSE WHO THROW AROUND 11-0 SCORES LIBERALLY....
You know who you are.  You are a fan of one game, or a hater of another, so you vote 11-0 for a match-up.  To me, an 11-0 score means that one game has no redeeming quality whatsoever when compared to the other game.  Keep in kind that an 11-0 score can serve to tilt things quite significantly.  Or maybe you know this and like to throw a wrench into things.  Maybe you really hate Plinko, but does it really suck that much?  Against Balance Game?  Against a game that has only been around for a year?  All I'm asking is that you really think about the games before you toss an 11-0 out there.  Keep it fun and even-handed for all of us.  And remember, sharing is caring....

I agree... I've seen that in my DOND models tournament a bit. 11-0 scores are not to be abused.

Offline CrimsonViper

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2006, 08:18:50 PM »
Thank you Sideshow for putting up that letter regarding 11-0 scores.  It was the thing that irked me a lot last week because apparently, Safe Crackers is a Godly Game and That's Too Much! should've been retired the moment they played it.  So thank you once again!

Now, this week's matchups...

RACE GAME VS BARKER'S BARGAIN BAR
The Battle of Malfunctions

Ah, Race Game.  One of the better multi-prizers, but after all, like anything and anyone, it does have its weaknesses.  First off, I love the reveal.  The entire curtain lifting off the floor and the camera scrolls past all the prizes while playing one of the best cues on the show.  Race Game is always a fun affair to play, but sometimes, contestants just decide to walk and look to the audience for help.  Excuse me, but unless you have someone who knows everything in the audience, don't do that!  It's called Race Game for a reason.  Got a time limit to beat and accomplish all matters, so use it wisely.  The set is very cool, too.  I mean, a jukebox with handles that light up a number to tell how many you've got right?  That's beyond awesome.  

Barker's Bargain Bar, you little alliterative flashy malfunctioning boredom.  I just like the set.  Gameplay is simple and most of the time, it's "pick the lower of the two prices".  It could break down and still be played.  Endurance is its highest quality.  I'm still wishing for the day that the prizes will crush the podiums.  :-x  But I'm sure they'll still find a way to play it.  

RACE GAME WINS 9-2

TEN CHANCES VS BONKERS
But I'm Sure You Won't Even Get 10 Chances

Ten Chances is quite an alright car game.  The gameplay is pretty simple, yet so many contestants get confused by the rules.  Which leads them to taking forever to make a guess.  Which leads them to make ridiculous guesses.  Which leads them to lose the game.  The set is majestic, and the actual writing by the contestants create great interaction with Bob.  Well, at least you hope that as Bob makes fun and suspense out of their guesses, that it outweighs the fact that some people are utterly clueless.  Like writing $78K for a Ford Focus.  The golden rule is the zero rule.  Know it, and you'll do fine.  Know not, and you'll wonder why $23,047 and $17,306 isn't the right answer.  

Bonkers.  At least it's not up against Race Game.  That'd be horrible.  At least not yet.  But yes, you take Race Game, steal one of its prizes, and compress it.  That's essentially what Bonkers is about.  And while Bonkers could suit the contestant's state of mind during the game, the audience must also suffer going bonkers if they're watching the contestant play the game horribly, ever ever so horribly.  Don't walk!  Hit the plunger!  And please, don't make a guess on a digit, turn around, and seek approval from the audience!  It's a fast-paced timed game; live up to its expectations.  Good players will get at least 5 chances in.  Bad players just spend 30 seconds on one guess.  A crazy set with lights, price reveal, and the dummy plunger.  

It's a split decision...

BONKERS WINS 6-5

Simply more fun, and you don't have to sit through agonizing minutes.  Well sure, it's sometimes better to cover your eyes, but you don't have to do it as long. :-P