Author Topic: Field of 64 Pricing Games - IT'S ALL OVER!!!  (Read 121500 times)

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
Re: Field of 64 Pricing Games - Final Match is OPEN!!!
« Reply #645 on: May 10, 2007, 02:10:28 PM »
Pathfinder vs. Hole in 1 (or 2)

Pros for Pathfinder:
1. the EROOOO sound effect

Cons for Pathfinder:
1. too many possible outcomes for the price of the car

Pros for Hole in 1 (or 2):
1. Bob's inspiration putt
2. the fact that it is based on a sport
3. the set itself
4. the turning of the sign (from One to or Two)

Cons for Hole in 1 (or 2):
1. rarely see a perfect lineup
2. doesn't get played enough
3. contestants usually putt too hard or not hard enough

One game is really exciting to see.  That game deserves to win the tournament.  That game is Hole in 1 (or 2), and it wins by a vote of...

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Field of 64 Pricing Games - Final Match is OPEN!!!
« Reply #646 on: May 11, 2007, 12:24:48 AM »
Well, let's hope voting is still open, since the results won't be out until tomorrow night anyway...

Pathfinder has always been up there as far as car games for me. The nifty set, the sound effects, the lights, the fun, and the excitement. We've seen it all there over the years: Well-played wins, embarassing losses, exciting wins and losses, and Bob's finger bitten by a toy!

Hole In One: Miniature golf! For a car! My all-time favorite, and a game I'd give just about anything to watch in person (and I'd give anything to actually play!). It's always seemed like a game Bob has had fun with - even when he's not making his putts (or is that especially when he's not making his putts?).

One has to win. One doesn't...

So, in that case....

CUBS WIN! CUBS WIN! CUBS WIN!
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Field of 64 Pricing Games - Final Match LAST CALL!!!
« Reply #647 on: May 11, 2007, 01:22:02 PM »
I am off to officiate a track meet, and will be home around 6pm.  At that time, the final results will be tallied, and the grand champ revealed.  This is your last shot to be heard in the tourney!  It's all come down to this folks...
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Currently, I live in the past.
Re: Field of 64 Pricing Games - Final Match LAST CALL!!!
« Reply #648 on: May 11, 2007, 02:15:58 PM »
I am not liking this matchup, but I suppose I should vote anyway.  They are probably not the two best games on the show, but the two teams that are in the finals of the NCAA tourney are also hardly ever the two best teams in the country. :-)

Now, to the matchup.  Hole in One probably my second-favorite game on the show, behind Three Strikes.  I love Bob's inspirational putt.  However, one thing I do not like about it (as evidenced by this week's playing) is that you can win the game without getting any of the GP's right.

Pathy, while being a great game in its own right, was lucky to have beaten Three Strikes.  It is by far the best SP/Car game, but the journey ends here for it.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Field of 64 Pricing Games - IT'S ALL OVER!!!
« Reply #649 on: May 11, 2007, 06:12:47 PM »
Pathfinder ..... Hole in One.....

Were the the two games you predicted would be here at this point?  Not me....

But, two worthy games, and ones that are much-admired by our voters.  How did it shake out?

16 votes were cast this week.  Exactly half were in favor of Pathy, and the other 8 preferred Hole in One.  So, it will all come down to the scores.  Let's take a look....

These voters liked Pathfinder:
Frank (8-3)
grfanatic (8-3)
PFA (8-3)
gamefro (7-4)
scott (7-4)
edjoumatis (9-2)
jjc (6-5)
nick (7-4)

While these voters like Holey:
Me (6-5)
packersfan (8-3)
Tom (8-3)
bulldog (6-5)
heels (8-3)
jokerfan (10-1)
madonna (7-4)
jordanar18 (8-3)

Who has the higher average?  Who wins the whole ball of wax????

It's....

HOLE IN ONE wins the whole enchilada on a late surge 5.56 to 5.44!!!

And the Field of 64 comes to an exciting close...

Thanks to all who voted not only this week, but throughout the tournament.  It was a fun project for me, and I appreciate all the nice comments and participation.

Stay tuned in the fall, as I kick around a new game, Oddsmakers.  I am fleshing out some details now.  If you want to hear out some of my ideas for it, let me know and you can be part of the ad hoc focus group.

Thanks again all!

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Currently, I live in the past.
« Reply #650 on: May 11, 2007, 06:19:39 PM »
And to think, I almost went 7-4.  Then it would have been a tie!  What would have happened, sideshow?

And, thanks for this great game! :-) :-) :-)

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #651 on: May 11, 2007, 06:22:30 PM »
We (fortunately) did not have a tie this entire tournament, though this is as close it can get to one.  My plan for a tie would have been to get into a fetal position, then cry myself to sleep.  

Seriously, I probably would have messaged a few of the top dogs around here are invited them to vote to break the tie.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #652 on: May 11, 2007, 07:44:26 PM »
Thanks for the great game these last 10 months sideshow!  It was very suspenseful and exciting with the matchups and the votes between certain games.  I had a lot of fun and I can't wait until your next project, Oddsmakers, debuts.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #653 on: May 11, 2007, 10:04:25 PM »
*high-fives Jordanar* WE DID IT! WE DID IT! THANK YOU! :-D

I can't believe how close it was... Wow. And to think that two last-minute votes ended up being the deciding factor..

*high-fives herself, too* That's better. :-P

What an incredibly fun tournament, and what an incredible finish. I was worried about my 7-4 vote. I was worried I was too late. I was worried that it wouldn't make a difference, that there was too much Pathfinder love anyway.

To think that Hole In One made it past Golden Road, then Pathfinder... Amazing.

Sideshow, thanks again for a truly great tournament. I loved every second of it...

And, yes, I'd feel that way even if my game hadn't wound up on top. :-P

Now I can't wait for Oddsmakers. :)
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.

Offline gamefro

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #654 on: May 11, 2007, 10:45:11 PM »
Wow... Early on, it looked like Pathfinder was going to take it.  Some of those later voters didn't say which game they were going for, so Hole In One's win actually took me by surprise!

I echo everyone's sentiments, Sideshow.  Thanks for putting on this fun tournament.  Even though my favorite game (It's In The Bag) and the game I predicted would win (Pathfinder) didn't take the prize, I sure had fun voting and reading other members' opinions...they have changed my outlook on some games over the past several months.

I think it would be interesting to revisit this tournament format in a couple years and see if/how the results change.

I look forward to Oddsmakers.  Feel free to include me in the focus group if you want feedback.
Gamefro: "Retired" host of TPiR at the University of Nevada, Reno (spring 2003 - spring 2008).

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #655 on: May 12, 2007, 12:00:35 AM »
Wow... Hole In One actually did it! Awesome! :-D

Thanks to Sideshow, of course, for running this. I've always thought about doing this, but never really gotten around to it.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #656 on: May 12, 2007, 06:47:45 AM »
One of the rare weeks in which I didn't vote.  I would've voted 6-5 for Pathy, but it would not have affected the outcome unless Jordan actually had voted 7-4.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #657 on: May 12, 2007, 08:12:58 PM »
:-o  :-o  :-o I'M SPEECHLESS!!!!

To think that Hole-in-One would go on to win it all.

I never predicted this and it took me like a lightning rod shooting through my spine.

This was a great tournament and I would like to thank SideshowPA for giving us something to talk about.