Author Topic: "Rat Race"  (Read 28674 times)

Offline FrenchFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • CCSCO
Re: "Rat Race"
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2010, 08:39:18 PM »
A d10 would be more appropriate for that...

A d8 since 1st and 10th slot are carefully avoided.
Le Juste Prix, my childhood gameshow, and love TPIR.

HYO: $75,515 (SC 1/2 (loss against a DSW), PG 2/2, getting up on stage 2/8 - 2 FFBC)
CSS: 2 wins, 1 DSW, 2 WSD, $202,298, best bid $118.

Offline ElectricPeterTork

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2010, 08:39:34 PM »
A d10 would be more appropriate for that...

Either way, something to make the placement of the correct price a bit more random than the usual 2-3 or 8-9.
Repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax."

Offline Otm Shank

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2010, 08:42:59 PM »
And you know this how?

Because the animal-activism punchline wouldn't otherwise work.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2010, 09:05:18 PM »
It sounds like an interesting game...I'll wait and see how it looks and plays.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline TPIRmaniac

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Have your human spayed or neutered.
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2010, 09:21:29 PM »
If that is the game it does come up, good job for them. It sounds like a really fun game. Apperntly the sky really wasn't funny.

The only things that I could see being a problem...
if the person wins all three tries, then that would be a 60% chance at winning the car, which seems pretty high considering the difficulty of most other car games. So I'm think the sp part might be set up a bit difficulty.

Also a bigger issue would be that if you won 2 or 3 keys, you'ds find out if you won the car first and then you'd figure out if you won the middle prizes which would make it a little odd.

But it still seems like a good game.
SummerTIME!

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2010, 09:23:18 PM »
I'd assume that after the SP portion is played, if the rats aren't on the racetrack already, the models would place them there and then they cross the finish line in a predetermined order to determine which prizes would be won.

There would be some highlight or distinguishing feature to indicate which rats the contestant earned, I would think.

Does anyone else think that two dud rats is excessive, why not just one?
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2010, 09:23:41 PM »
if the person wins all three tries, then that would be a 60% chance at winning the car

I just hope they had enough sense to predetermine the race's outcome.  If they let the mice go by themselves, I can see all kinds of problems cropping up.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2010, 09:27:24 PM »
I'm thinking there's some type of "set" rat you race against, with the same speed everytime, and each of the 5 rats you can choose has different speeds, some will beat the opponent and some will not.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2010, 09:30:36 PM »
I sincerely hope the posters above and future don't believe they'd use real rats/mice here.

And if the show does use real mice, they've instantly lost a viewer (not a PETA type).
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline TPIRmaniac

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Have your human spayed or neutered.
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2010, 09:32:04 PM »
I really doubt they'd you live rats for a multitude of reasons. MOst likeyly they'd use rats that were mechinal cut outs like they did for hurdles and finish line.
SummerTIME!

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2010, 10:48:53 PM »
if the person wins all three tries, then that would be a 60% chance at winning the car, which seems pretty high considering the difficulty of most other car games.

Master Key gives you 70%, and you only need to win two tries.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline Scott5114

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2010, 01:04:55 AM »
If they don't have prices on them, how are you supposed to know which rat to pick? Blind luck? Well, okay, it's been done before, we have Master Key and Punch-a-Bunch.

Is there a game board with a track that these move across, and when they get to the end little cards pop out "NO" "NO" "CAR" "DINETTE" "STEREO" showing which were the "right" rats? Or is it just random wind-up toy mice on a table, that theoretically could run into one another and award nothing at all? If it's the latter, then you're essentially playing an overly-complicated slot machine.

Offline ElectricPeterTork

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2010, 01:08:59 AM »
If they don't have prices on them, how are you supposed to know which rat to pick? Blind luck? Well, okay, it's been done before, we have Master Key and Punch-a-Bunch.

Is there a game board with a track that these move across, and when they get to the end little cards pop out "NO" "NO" "CAR" "DINETTE" "STEREO" showing which were the "right" rats? Or is it just random wind-up toy mice on a table, that theoretically could run into one another and award nothing at all? If it's the latter, then you're essentially playing an overly-complicated slot machine.

Well, I suppose that's the kind of thing we'll find out when the game debuts.
Repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax."

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2010, 01:29:33 AM »
Well, I suppose that's the kind of thing we'll find out when the game debuts.

If it turns out to be the latter, the game shouldn't even be debuting.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2010, 01:48:39 AM »
I just hope they had enough sense to predetermine the race's outcome.  If they let the mice go by themselves, I can see all kinds of problems cropping up.

NO ONE inside the studio will know what prizes will be won until the "race" takes place.  The mice are in no way rigged or set up to win or lose.  This is simply a random race of five toy mice.

There are five colored mice.  Following the pricing portion of the game (involving a Grocery Product, Small Prize, and Medium Prize), you can win chances to select up to 3 mice.

If your mouse finishes in first place, you win the car.  Second place nets one of the two other prizes, and third the same.  If your mouse finishes 4th, 5th, or not at all, you win nothing.
John