Author Topic: Bonus Game getting Facelift for Season 39 (including other games)  (Read 11911 times)

Offline joeyboy

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Bonus Game getting Facelift for Season 39 (including other games)
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2010, 09:42:06 PM »
The only huge change could go to Lucky Seven and that's if they want to make all the panels or doors into monitors to reveal each number.

They would have to hope and pray that the model doesn't crash the car into the door and monitors if they were to do that.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2010, 10:10:22 PM »
Adding monitors to "most of the games" as John said, would probably only affect the read-outs of the particular game.

...that's not what he said.

While we're on the topic, what's the big deal with replacing cards or lighted displays with monitors? If they want to put a 3 LCD monitors on Ten Chances that look and act like the cards, go for it.

If they want to replace the score keeper for Plinko with a plasma monitor, what's the problem?

I've seen the argument that the show might be able to change things on the fly, and people would lose trust in the show, but... really? S&P is right there in the studio; it ain't gonna happen. And you know damn well there would be a s**t storm here if there was any inkling of wrongdoing.

I think they've done a fine job with the games that they've refurbished thus far, and they haven't really done anything as drastic as completely computerizing a game (e.g. Clock Game '94). I'd really like to believe they "get" that much.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline 3StrikesFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2010, 10:15:23 PM »
...that's not what he said.

Ok, so he said "some of the most popular games." If Plinko, Cliff Hangers, and Punchboard (for example) are some of the "most popular games," no monitor change would be needed to change anything, except for the dollar read-out in Plinko!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 10:19:04 PM by 3StrikesFan »

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2010, 10:20:58 PM »
While we're on the topic, what's the big deal with replacing cards or lighted displays with monitors? If they want to put a 3 LCD monitors on Ten Chances that look and act like the cards, go for it.

Some people fear such changes because they think it will hasten the show's demise, because people will be turned off by what some see as drastic changes.  But I won't be surprised if they do make such changes, it's a completely different ball game now.

Just a thought, with Ten Chances getting some modifications, maybe they'll finally take up Marc and John's suggestion about a font change for the game ;-).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 10:25:13 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline BigJon

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2010, 11:16:08 PM »
Seeing 3 monitors in 10 chances, that move and slide just like the current ones, i think would look pretty sweet.
BigJon's TPIR will live on - CSS Host - 2nd Season; CSS Statistician 3rd Season

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2010, 11:17:05 PM »
Too complicated for what it's worth.

10 Chances really only needs a new paint job/color scheme.  Ditch the lattice and get rid of the Christmas red/green/white colors.  Something that would look really well with the current set - and sorry, but the silver material they redid  Any Number with looks really cheap.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 11:20:04 PM by PIR85 »

Offline PaladinTornado

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2010, 11:59:45 PM »
I understand that these facelifts will improve the overall aesthetics of the whole set, but as a fan of all things retro, I really hate to see Ten Chances and especially Bonus Game receive major changes.  Both of these games have remained essentially the same for 30 or so years!  Same with Now....or Then to a lesser extent.

I wouldn't be sad to see some of the 1990s-era set pieces receive overhauls, such as Side By Side or Punch a Bunch, to name a couple.

Offline theamazingracer

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2010, 01:50:36 AM »
Well, what games other than Ten Chances and Bonus Game (both of which we already know about) really, truly need a new set? Given that Most Expensive now has one with its name on it, I have to wonder whether 5 Price Tags and 1 Wrong Price will follow suit sometime soon. But 1WP definitely doesn't fall under "most popular", though. 5PT? It's debatable, but still plausible.

Offline 3StrikesFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2010, 02:59:41 AM »
Well, what games other than Ten Chances and Bonus Game (both of which we already know about) really, truly need a new set? Given that Most Expensive now has one with its name on it, I have to wonder whether 5 Price Tags and 1 Wrong Price will follow suit sometime soon. But 1WP definitely doesn't fall under "most popular", though. 5PT? It's debatable, but still plausible.

I think 5 Price Tags would look good with it's name right in the space below the actual 5 Price Tags, or maybe on each of the small prize displays below the price. That's it. There is really no space to put the name by the actual 5 Price Tag podiums behind the car. If they tried, it would look cluttered.

For One Wrong Price, I think the exact same for Most Expensive... the name on the floor. Same font... maybe black, yellow, and red?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 03:01:22 AM by 3StrikesFan »

Offline theamazingracer

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2010, 03:11:34 AM »
They could always build a new board for the Five Price Tags (perhaps upgrading the WIN/NO graphics at the same time) with the name on top, like the Aussie version's set had.

I was thinking about Ten Chances's set, given the show's tendency to "theme" the set design, and was trying to figure out how it would look good without the wicker. It's a shame about the political climate at the moment, because that would look really good (especially in HD) if the set was based on Islamic architecture. Arched insets for the pieces of paper, stylized boxes for the numbers, a carving-style covering for the stagehand behind it, and perhaps the game's name in a mock minaret atop the set. Would look far better than any minor upgrade they could come up with for the existing set. It'll never happen, obviously, but I kind of like imagining how they redesign some of the games.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 03:13:22 AM by theamazingracer »

Offline FrenchFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • CCSCO
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2010, 05:09:38 AM »
They could always build a new board for the Five Price Tags (perhaps upgrading the WIN/NO graphics at the same time) with the name on top, like the Aussie version's set had.

I was thinking about Ten Chances's set, given the show's tendency to "theme" the set design, and was trying to figure out how it would look good without the wicker. It's a shame about the political climate at the moment, because that would look really good (especially in HD) if the set was based on Islamic architecture. Arched insets for the pieces of paper, stylized boxes for the numbers, a carving-style covering for the stagehand behind it, and perhaps the game's name in a mock minaret atop the set. Would look far better than any minor upgrade they could come up with for the existing set. It'll never happen, obviously, but I kind of like imagining how they redesign some of the games.

That's exactly what Plinko has always been in France (islamic thingy, 'cause of an islamic name). And no one ever claimed for racism. ^^
I like this idea for Ten Chances.

I don't know who colorized Now... or Then, but it's really a bad job. Go for a colour facelift.
Le Juste Prix, my childhood gameshow, and love TPIR.

HYO: $75,515 (SC 1/2 (loss against a DSW), PG 2/2, getting up on stage 2/8 - 2 FFBC)
CSS: 2 wins, 1 DSW, 2 WSD, $202,298, best bid $118.

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2010, 07:09:43 AM »
I don't know who colorized Now... or Then, but it's really a bad job. Go for a colour facelift.

This shows me clear ignorance about the game's history.  Read this page.  Then you'll understand when I say that the people who designed the prop did an excellent job.  The game's colors are a nod to "the good old days" of the 70s and 80s, and for a game whose name is "Now...or Then," the color scheme is works wonderfully and makes excellent sense.
Bazinga!

Offline FrenchFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • CCSCO
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2010, 07:44:32 AM »
This shows me clear ignorance about the game's history.  Read this page.  Then you'll understand when I say that the people who designed the prop did an excellent job.  The game's colors are a nod to "the good old days" of the 70s and 80s, and for a game whose name is "Now...or Then," the color scheme is works wonderfully and makes excellent sense.

I retire "bad job", which was excessive.

That was right with the colours of the turntable THEN, because orange/yellow scheme was the fashion at that time.
But NOW, it looks out of date, and hardly matches the current set.
Le Juste Prix, my childhood gameshow, and love TPIR.

HYO: $75,515 (SC 1/2 (loss against a DSW), PG 2/2, getting up on stage 2/8 - 2 FFBC)
CSS: 2 wins, 1 DSW, 2 WSD, $202,298, best bid $118.

Offline jzion12345

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2010, 11:50:36 AM »
I could see games like Bonus, Card, Grand, Line Em Up, Race, Take Two, etc. all getting price displays like Temptation did.

Everyone seemed genuinely pleased with the changes to Most Expensive, Temptation, and Any Number (with the exception of where the numbers that are left to choose are).

I could see those working games getting technology upgrades for no reason whatsoever as well. Plus, not everyone likes Most Expensive's set change. I, for one, think it's the ugliest set on the show now...other than Pick a Number. I absolutely cringe every time I see the new set. It's too busy and has too much unnecessary space filler. Just because HD has more screen space doesn't mean that EVERY SINGLE INCH OF SPACE NEEDS TO BE FILLED! I thought the old ME set looked fine. Every set is different, and that one was unique. Always liked it.

I just hope they're not replacing stuff that still works perfectly. I can understand replacing something with a newer technology if the older technology doesn't work and is nearly impossible to find the parts to fix. This whole idea of "change is ALWAYS good" is not something I ever bought in to. Heck, we used our old APPLE IIe for 11 years before we finally for a PC in 1994. I still used the IIe, though, until about 1999 when it finally died. When something breaks, fix it. Replacing something before it breaks just so you can have a newer technology when the older technology works just fine is pointless to me. There are better things to spend money on.