Author Topic: Random Game Show Talk other then "The Big 4"  (Read 1352 times)

Offline BobJacobsenVer1

• Double Showcase Winner
Random Game Show Talk other then "The Big 4"
« on: June 03, 2010, 11:24:08 PM »
Share your memories, favorite parts of shows, anything related to any game show other then "The Big 4". "The Big 4" to me right now is The Price is Right, Wheel Of Fortune, Jeopardy! And Let's make a deal.

I'll start it.

I've stated other times on here how much I liked The USA network when they used to have game show blocks. One of my favorite game shows on there was Hot Potato. It had such a cool set and special effects.

Offline WooWho

• TPiR Alumnus
  • 1/20/2010
Re: Random Game Show Talk other then "The Big 4"
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 12:56:02 AM »
What, Millionaire isn't a "Big" show?

I remember the first time I saw an episode of Russian Roulette.  I heard Mark Walberg say "drop zones" for the first time and I thought, "Wait a minute, what?  They fall through the floor?"  And then I was hooked.  Of course, I was scared out of my wits in anticipation of the drop...

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 10:45:34 AM »
USA's afternoon block was a defining segment of television for me as a child as well.  During the first half of 6th grade (1993-94), there was a prolonged teacher's strike in September and October, plus innumerable snow days over the winter, so I practically lived off that for much of the year.  Of course, it was certainly good well before that too; Bumper Stumpers and Wipeout became personal favorite in the genre for me when they were included in the block; yes, Hot (sizzle) Potato was quite good as well.  If only we could convinced them to bring it back somehow; that & the cartoons combined with their current slate of original shows would make the network ace to the max. 

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 10:55:39 AM »
USA Network was the ish back in the 1980s and 1990s.  Jackpot, Hollywood Squares, Win, Lose, or Draw, Chain Reaction, Bumper Stumpers, High Rollers, and the list goes on.  They were all part of my childhood, and I wish those reruns would come back--whether on USA or GSN.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 09:32:58 PM »
Being in high school in the mid/late '80s durnig part of that USA game-show era, I did love the chance to see some of my favorite games after school, much as I did when KYW in Philly decided to stop beating their head against the wall in the mid '80s trying to go head to head with WPVI in the afternoon talk game, instead opting to create an afternoon block of NBC network & syndicated games.  Super Password, daytime Wheel, Newlywed Game, Hollywood Squares, Price is Right...good stuff for a game geek.

Joker's Wild was always my favorite, and the first game I remember watching.  Other early favorites were To Tell The Truth and Match Game.  I've been told that when I was hospitalized as a kindergarten-age child, the nurses were amazed by how I would say what time it was (presumably at the top and bottom of the hour), and then they realized it was because I was identifying the game show on TV at the time.  Similarly, people would ask my mother if I had siblings close in age when I was little (I had a six-year older sister, and honestly, we didn't interact all that much by her choice....a baby brother?  Ewwwww).  They would remark about my language development, which my mother still believes was somewhat a result of picking it up from my game shows.  Take that, Sesame Street.   :D

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 10:05:38 PM »
Front Page Challange,Headline Hunters,Defenition,Quiz Kids (Terry David Mulligan),Dan Gallagher's MuchMusic game show,Hollywood Squares,Match Game,High Rollers (revival needed),Sale of the Century,Password,Crosswits (revive),Press Your Luck,Pyramid,Match Game (decent revival needed),Child's Play

Offline WooWho

• TPiR Alumnus
  • 1/20/2010
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 12:39:57 PM »
Oh, shoot, I forgot about Ray Combs' Family Challenge.  I loved that show!  I was maybe, 4 when it first aired and I was running around my living room pretending I was doing the stunts along with the people on TV.

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 02:37:21 PM »
I think the "Family Challenge" was the last show ray ever did before his sad death.  He was awesome.

Offline WooWho

• TPiR Alumnus
  • 1/20/2010
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 03:32:53 PM »
^'Twas.  And 'twas sad, considering how awesome he was.  Hard to believe he left us 14 years ago last Wednesday.