Author Topic: Recap -- 6/8/10  (Read 22138 times)

Offline FrenchFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • CCSCO
Re: Recap Placeholder -- 6/8/10
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 04:46:27 PM »
They've been playing Range Game for a car for years.  It seems appropriate that the game would have to be difficult for one to win the car, doesn't it?  I will say that the game was set up for a loss because nobody thinks to let the rangefinder go all the way up.  Also, the spread is $150, regardless of what prize is offered, not $75.

When I say $75, it's $75 higher or lower.
Even Pick-A-Dumber yesterday was less hard.
Le Juste Prix, my childhood gameshow, and love TPIR.

HYO: $75,515 (SC 1/2 (loss against a DSW), PG 2/2, getting up on stage 2/8 - 2 FFBC)
CSS: 2 wins, 1 DSW, 2 WSD, $202,298, best bid $118.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 05:17:15 PM »
Loss. Badly.

Wasn't that bad.  He picked the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th-most expensive items.

They've been playing Range Game for a car for years.  It seems appropriate that the game would have to be difficult for one to win the car, doesn't it?  I will say that the game was set up for a loss because nobody thinks to let the rangefinder go all the way up.  Also, the spread is $150, regardless of what prize is offered, not $75.

Yeah, but that range is stupid for even smaller prizes here in 2010.  Back when the game debuted, it wasn't uncommon for the $600 range to be between something like $700-$1300, where a $150 difference actually meant something.  They really need to bump this game up for inflation.

It's the crappiest lineup of the history of TPIR : 3 quickies, the shortest SP game, the shortest GP game, and TTM. Really, really, I fear the show cancellation in the near future.

Pick-A-Pair is the shortest GP game, but I get your point.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 05:22:56 PM »
I've never thought of Range Game being in need of a new rangefinder.  What should it be, Army, $200?  Should the scale be adjusted accordingly from $600 to $800, or something?
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 05:34:47 PM »
I like the new Coming or Going reveal... before, it was kind of awkward just staring at the screen waiting to hear dings.

That's Too Much really should have been won. It's not often that the game has such an easy setup like that.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Elizabeth
SHOW GRADE: 1

Offline FrenchFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • CCSCO
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 05:53:42 PM »
I've never thought of Range Game being in need of a new rangefinder.  What should it be, Army, $200?  Should the scale be adjusted accordingly from $600 to $800, or something?

In French current version : range of €200, spread of €1,000, but with much smaller prizes (from €1,500 to €3,000).

I think about a range of $500 and a spread of $2,000. At least it would be priceable (and Greco-able too, BTW).
Le Juste Prix, my childhood gameshow, and love TPIR.

HYO: $75,515 (SC 1/2 (loss against a DSW), PG 2/2, getting up on stage 2/8 - 2 FFBC)
CSS: 2 wins, 1 DSW, 2 WSD, $202,298, best bid $118.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 06:10:44 PM »
Yeah, but that range is stupid for even smaller prizes here in 2010.  Back when the game debuted, it wasn't uncommon for the $600 range to be between something like $700-$1300, where a $150 difference actually meant something.  They really need to bump this game up for inflation.

I have to agree with this. I remember reading that the range hasn't been changed since the mid 70s. (Is that correct?) It's basically a game of luck now, especially when played for a car. Many other things have been adjusted for inflation since the mid 70s (on the nose contestant's row bid bonus, double showcase win range, Check-Out range, ...). Why not Range Game?

When the game was played today, Card Game came to mind. Isn't the lowest valued card in the special deck $1000 now? That's been adjusted as well. How would you like to price a car within $150?

Maybe soon.

Offline compdude512

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 06:41:06 PM »
Well, here is the highlight of the day for me.

(see post for picture)

Wow.  That's some DiPirro magic! It's much better than I thought it would be.  It's no secret that the split-screen is one of my favorite directing techniques.  To me, this makes CoG a lot more special when it shows up, as opposed to the old way where we just waited to hear a buzz or ding.

I can't believe I'm getting ready to say this, but I can't wait until the next time they play CoG.  I love what they've done to it!

Tyler
"We, in fact, like it when people criticize what we've done on the show because it means you're thinking about the show." -Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 06:51:32 PM »
The recap will be unavailable until CBS posts the episode. My satellite receiver decided to upgrade during the morning, and crapped out, not recording the episode.

Same here. DirecTV, right? They pushed a software upgrade out to everybody in the middle of the night, and you couldn't even reach their customer service center this morning!!
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 07:19:59 PM »
Well, it's official, this is the worst lineup in the history of The Price Is Right. Yesterday's wasn't too great either as there wasn't much need to play PA# for a car, but why did we play Range Game for a car today too? Non-car games for cars are fine, but not in 25.5 minute lineups like we had today. There were so many ways today's lineup could have been better: we had 3 quickies (including one for a car), the quickest car game, the quickest SP game, and a mid-length GP game (the longest game of the lineup at 5 minutes). That's pretty sad. 2 hypotheses: 1) Is Greco meddling with the lineups because it's easier to force a car loss in Range Game $100 from the top? 2) I wonder if all the episodes that ran long last week caused them to use these lineups. Let's hope not.

And that was a lot of lineup talk, but the rest of the episode didn't do much to make me want to talk about other things. Drew made a bunch of bad jokes that didn't work, we had another forced loss for a car (Range)....oh, the COG reveal. THAT was very cool. Great way to give the game its own reveal. Fancy price tag too but it works. Other than that, meh to today - we're stumbling down the home stretch.

Timings:
Switch? (3.5) - 2:30
Range Game (4) - 4:02
Secret X (4.5)- 5:54
Coming Or Going (3.5) - 3:34
That's Too Much! (5) - 3:35
Hi Lo (5) - 4:39
Total time (25.5): 24:13 (and I'm unsure how we dragged it out THAT long)

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 07:34:40 PM »
I have one beef with the reveal.

You have iPads and don't use them!?
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Macsen

• The mythical, elusive S39-S40 Recap Guide
    • Twitch streaming
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 07:43:44 PM »
And finally, my recap.
"Kitch? Yes, that is what they used to call me..."

Offline leafsfan17

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 07:45:51 PM »
Terrible way to lose Hi Lo. But it's nice to see that COG finally has its own reveal.
Dr. Pepper: Not recommended for Skype chats

Offline EyeMobileScott

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2010, 08:16:42 PM »

I have to agree with this. I remember reading that the range hasn't been changed since the mid 70s. (Is that correct?) It's basically a game of luck now, especially when played for a car. Many other things have been adjusted for inflation since the mid 70s (on the nose contestant's row bid bonus, double showcase win range, Check-Out range, ...). Why not Range Game?

When the game was played today, Card Game came to mind. Isn't the lowest valued card in the special deck $1000 now? That's been adjusted as well. How would you like to price a car within $150?

Maybe soon.

Maybe this is one instance where a trait from TNPIR '94 could work: have the contestant randomly select from a handful of cards/envelopes to determine his/her range. Makes the game a bit more of a challenge and justify the occasional car offering.

Offline jmorgan

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2010, 08:25:23 PM »
How can Switch? be lost if the person swiched the prizes?

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2010, 08:26:23 PM »
Sometimes the correct choice is to leave the prices where they are, other times, the prices need to be switched.  It all depends on how the producers set the game up.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."