Author Topic: Recap -- 6/16/10  (Read 62665 times)

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Recap Placeholder -- 6/16/10
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2010, 05:59:56 PM »
I liked Rat Race as well, and it did make me think of Hurdles (and Ten Chances, with the prize presentation). It's a neat combination of low tech (the actual rats, the Shell Game-like price reveals), and high tech (the race outcome board, at least). I also was reminded of a type of game that used to be played on Let's Make A Deal in the 70s, where someone would have to price something within maybe $2, then $10, then $20, or perhaps in reverse. Anyone else remember that?

Bradley made TPIR history. Nice.

So close on Any Number, also. At least she didn't win the money in the piggy bank.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 06:01:41 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2010, 06:10:10 PM »
It's in te Bag was the Grocery Game

Intersting how  a new Game, Rat Race, was accompanied with 3 Games from the 1st ever show.

Two games from the first show: Any NUmber and Double Prices.

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2010, 06:13:45 PM »
The Rat Race player won the Showcase today. His total between the IUFB, $11K on the wheel, and the Showcase was $2202 less than what he won in Rat Race. The cheese and Blu Ray player were $402.89($403 rounded up), do you think the computer won in Rat Race was $1799 or $2202. This would determine whether the contestant gets the items priced correctly to win the rats or not. WOuld seem silly to give the player the grocery item as a prize, as no other games do that(outside of the TPIR computer game from 2009, which awards grocery items in some games)

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 06:17:35 PM »
-99 makes more sense for sure. I'm glad we can now confirm you don't win the products in Ratty then.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2010, 06:37:15 PM »
I asked this in chat but didn't really get an answer.

When the new Most Expensive set debuted earlier in the year, all five of the backdrops were mainly blue with the yellow and orange outline.   However, today the 3 backgrounds to the prizes were mainly yellow with blue and orange trim (i.e. the blue and yellow were inverted).    I haven't seen much of the show in the past two months so can someone please tell me how long that has been changed?

Offline leafsfan17

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2010, 06:55:50 PM »
Now that I've seen Rat Race, I have to say that I like the game.
Dr. Pepper: Not recommended for Skype chats

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2010, 07:00:19 PM »
It also helped that the contestant was switched on and got right into the game too.    In fact the first three that got up on stage were all pretty good.

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2010, 07:38:48 PM »
I thought today's show was kinda "meh" with the obvious exception of Rat Race.  It might've been bulky, but whoever created the props deserves a lot of the props for clarity and good stuff like that.  As for the Showcases, yeah...a lot of us in chat had no chance whatsoever in that 2nd Showcase.
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2010, 08:15:31 PM »
Much to my surprise, I kinda like Rat Race.  It still bothers me that the rats can get stuck or run out of energy and that Mike and Fingers have no control over the outcome, but it could be really awesome with a few tweaks.

Drew's Showcase price reveal was the worst one he's done in a long time.

Instead of those furry little rats, I would have designed it to incorporate the cartoon character used in the logo, driving around in 5 different coloured cars. (It is a car game afterall  ;-))

You know, that's a damn good idea.

Tomorrow I think that one game is pick-a-pair... :-D

Um...okay.  That was random.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline woohookitty

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2010, 08:16:19 PM »
I know everyone's going to be talking about one thing, but I seriously want to point out another today.

There is NO EXCUSE for today's showcases. NONE. It is absolutely unacceptable IMO to have a car THAT STARTS AT BASE IN FOUR DIGITS. Today's Tuscany villa trip WAS MORE THAN THE CAR BY AT LEAST $3000.

I understand we are in budget mode for whatever illicit reasons, but do NOT LOOK CHEAP, MIKE. When you have offered 25k+ packages in Pushy and Rangey this season, have had 5-digit Squeezy so many times, and the showcases have breached 50k, 60k when they shouldn't have WEEKLY for two months straight. Today it was so obvious EVERYONE noticed, not just us who sniffed it at the first sight of the Hyundai Accent in Rolly in May.

Have you seen LMAD lately? :) They've been offering those all season. People offended by the budget issues amuse me. What can they do? Seriously. What can they do? As I said, watch LMAD once. Much cheaper than Price. 90% of the cars they offer are subcompact and/or manual transmission.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2010, 08:20:44 PM »
People offended by the budget issues amuse me. What can they do? Seriously. What can they do? As I said, watch LMAD once. Much cheaper than Price. 90% of the cars they offer are subcompact and/or manual transmission.
Well, People who are totally oblivious amuse me. The thing is....LMAD's budget is WAYYYY smaller and they have those types of cars ALL THE TIME....but for a show like price to make us being used to having ocassional Porsches and other things...and even go as low as maybe a $17,000 car, but have a nice 20k-25k average per car in a showcase to all of a sudden bring out a car that even with every option be less than $11,000....there is just no reason at all.....They might as well not even give it away and just replace it with 2 trips...i mean come on....a $9,000 car in a show thats used to haveing $20,000 cars....comeon now...
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2010, 08:21:22 PM »
Have you seen LMAD lately? :) They've been offering those all season. People offended by the budget issues amuse me. What can they do? Seriously. What can they do?

Utilizing it the way they did for the first 36 seasons would be a good start.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2010, 09:10:42 PM »
Unlike those games, the only mechanical parts are the rats themselves.  They're small and should be relatively easy to fix compared to say, the motor in Range Game or Squeeze Play.

Plus, depending on how much it costs to build the rats themselves, I imagine they'd probably have a few spares laying around.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2010, 09:12:15 PM »
Rat Race is the first game with grocery item and small prizes.  In this episode there is another grocery or SP game?
Games that use just 1 grocery item (like Golden Road) or just 1 small prize (like Make Your Move) are not officially considered grocery or small prize games.

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2010, 09:16:18 PM »
Rat Race? Love it. The prop is designed well, the gameplay flows smoothly (the race is not too long), it has that nice Walk of Fame feel as the prices increase from the grocery product to the medium prize to the somewhat bigger prize. It also has a distinctive reveal that is similar to 10 Chances which I like, but you'll be able to tell the difference between the games because Rat Race doesn't have any prizes that are obviously under $100. And I feel somewhat confident in the way it was constructed (for those who don't feel so confident, go to priceisright.com and you'll get to see some of the preliminary work they did to make the game. Watching the video made me feel better.) The only flaws are that I feel that starting possibly with its next playing, it will become one of those games where Greco makes the pricing portion impossible and tries to get the contestant to earn 0 or 1 rat every playing. But we'll see how it goes. Even if you price everything perfectly, you still have only a 60% chance of winning the car, so hopefully they will know to at least be reasonable about setting up the pricing portion.

Nissan Versas on Price Is Right? Don't love them so much. Shouldn't be there at all. Like Vader said, I would rather see trips (or furniture!) in the showcase rather than a car that cheap - they're OK on LMAD where people know the budget is lower but on Price where they've been offering 20k cars all season with the occasional Porsche, it just feels really really cheap. I know Mike produces both shows, and I would hope he recognizes this difference between them, and it's possible that he does and just forsaking it for now, but honestly having the Versa on today was just ridiculous. What was also ridiculous was having a pendant barely larger than my hand be $4500 and therefore more expensive than a grill and dinette. I know they need to do it, but that's just low - they better improve their budget management skills next season. Still, Rat Race carried the show overall and it was decent (great contestant in that game too for a debut!).

Timings:
Double Prices (3) - 2:10
It's In The Bag (6.5) - 5:20
Rat Race (6) - 6:25 (I'm ASSUMING, after seeing its first playing, that its timing is 6. This is gonna be a longer game, but not too long hopefully. It will be like a 10 Chances or a Temptation in the game rotation with this timing)
Most Expensive (3.5) - 3:08
Flip Flop (3.5) - 2:54
Any Number (5) - 4:58
Total time (27.5): 24:55