Author Topic: Recap -- 6/17/10  (Read 40886 times)

Offline icazzy

• In the Audience
    • my YT page, full of Game Shows and other stuff
Re: Recap Placeholder -- 6/17/10
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 04:41:34 PM »
Cover: OUCH.

Push was a gimme today.

Range could've been won; the price wasn't right next to the top of the scale like Greco's been putting it lately.

Buck: Now this is kinda getting ridiculous IMO - another $12,000 Aveo offered for those who didn't watch.

Showcases: Could've been worse.
Tripcase n.  A showcase that contains one or more trips.

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 04:46:20 PM »
Yeah I did notice that. I knew I heard rumors McDonald had left, because the band doesn't sound the same. McDonald had the great voice.

I couldn't see the faces too well but I started wondering if we were all talking about the same Lonestar in another thread. I got confused because of the lead singer with long hair because I knew Rich M. had short hair.

Well...as a fan of all genres of music and a fan of Lonestar throughout my childhood, I have to say that band just isn't the same without Rich McDonald as lead singer.  When I think of Lonestar, I hear Rich McDonald at the helm.  This Keith Urban lookalike that they have as lead singer now just isn't the same by any stretch of the imagination.  Maybe I'm just stuck in 1995 or something. :-)

I can see the Keith resemblance, but would've said the Billy Ray look alike.
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
Re: Recap -- 6/17/10
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 05:24:51 PM »
I'm not trying to be a hater, but TPIR doesn't need a "house band". I just wasn't a fan of this idea.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Shantra
SHOW GRADE: 2

Offline REDHEADVICKI

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 05:28:20 PM »
show was okay, not too exciting...  Lonestar should have been at the end of the showcases only, that was my opinion...   ;)

Have a great afternoon & evening all!

Vicki

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 05:31:47 PM »
I'll go ahead and say what has been said in reference to other "special" shows: Maybe once in a while is OK, maybe. I kinda liked the opening with the band's rendition of the theme, but hearing them play it once was enough for me. Again, and again? No.

Also, to be frank here, I thought it was very unprofessional (at least) for Drew to tell Shantra to go and say hi to the band after she won her game. They were performing(!), and had nothing to do with her winning.

Nice to see Pass The Buck again (one of my faves). And with Lonestar at Door #3, regular viewers should have had no problem figuring out where the Range Game prize was going to be.  
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 05:38:25 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline JoePlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 05:51:04 PM »
Nice to see Pass The Buck again (one of my faves). And with Lonestar at Door #3, regular viewers G-R.net members should have had no problem figuring out where the Range Game prize was going to be.  

Regular viewers, we are not.
"If we want the show to stay on, you have to support the show.  How can we lose an American classic?"  - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline jzion12345

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 06:08:13 PM »
Um...Lonestar was pointless. Hearing any band play the show's theme is cool, but why have them play the theme when Walking is normally played? Why not have them play a version of Walking? Plus, they were so...inconsistent on where they were used. I thought it was very unnecessary, but if they're gonna do this crap, at least execute it properly.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 06:11:13 PM »
Regular viewers, we are not.

Regular ≠ ordinary.  ;-)

Offline Ketsuban

• Walking the Golden Road
    • Safirian Empire
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2010, 06:29:39 PM »
Um...Lonestar was pointless. Hearing any band play the show's theme is cool, but why have them play the theme when Walking is normally played? Why not have them play a version of Walking? Plus, they were so...inconsistent on where they were used. I thought it was very unnecessary, but if they're gonna do this crap, at least execute it properly.

My thoughts exactly.
HYO Winnings: $56,365

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2010, 06:48:14 PM »
Um...wow.  Having a house band is really not a good idea.  Everything they did outside of the Showcase sounded very wrong, and Drew just would not shut the hell up about them.

That said, the showcase was actually quite good.  It needed a better introduction (or an introduction, really), but it flowed well, and Cody Collins was a good speaker.

1 Right Price was not supposed to be won.  That's two days in a row now that we've had a "Dob-stopping."

Another $12,000 car.  Wow.

Was Ronald trying to lose Danger Price?  Those were some awful guesses...his first (and only) two picks were the prizes I'd have left for last.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2010, 07:47:40 PM »
I always thought it would be kinda cool to try out a house band for an episode of Price.  Now that it's happened...I don't know.  It seems to me they tried to promote the heck out of something that blended into the background.  They played the open, the first one-bid, the theme at its respective points, and bumper music.  Seems like they didn't do nearly enough.  Or too much.  What they did just didn't seem to work.

PROS:  Putting them in door #3 rocked.  For a stage with limited space, that worked.  I might have tried door #1, but I don't know how the blocking would have worked with that.  The theme was okay, good enough to be a pro.  Showcase was really good - helped that the main person could talk well and project.

CONS:  Shame they couldn't throw a trailer or country-themed showcase together.  Little bit of country twang would have been much better than the standard country cue.  They could have also had a greater musical influence in the program - maybe the think music in Cover Up and the fee items?

FAIL:  Damn Drew...the opening ground to a halt.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2010, 08:07:38 PM »
Wow, Lonestar themselves honestly weren't that terrible overall, but Drew turned in one of his worst hosting performances since Season 37 and that caused the show to be near unwatchable. The focus just was on Lonestar and not the contestants the entire time, to the point where contestants were instructed to go say hi to Lonestar after they won their pricing game, and the poor contestant who won $10,000 in the first showcase showdown didn't even get any music and clangs to celebrate because Lonestar just had to play us to commercial. Then Drew just did stupid things like prolonging the opening for no reason (it took 50 seconds longer than normal today), and instructing the contestant in Pass The Buck to run over to their car while Rich was describing groceries.. Maybe in some universe a house band can work on TPIR, but Drew Carey just can't focus on the show when these things are happening, and that turns the show into a mess.

As for Lonestar themselves, not bad - they weren't overly intrusive themselves. Their showcase, as mentioned by others, was better than the Dollyrots, because at least they stopped singing long enough to present it themselves and the music they provided was listenable. Oh, and by the way we played some pricing games today, and they went as normal. The entire show would not have been that bad if not for Drew not being able to go 30 seconds without saying 'Lonestar'. And so you all know, Lonestar ASKED to be on the show themselves, and here they get a free 1-hour promo. We may have more bands asking to do this in the future.

Timings:
Cover Up (5) - 4:08
One Right Price (3.5) - 3:12
Push Over (4) - 3:32
Range Game (4) - 3:08
Pass The Buck (5.5) - 4:59
Danger Price (4.5) - 3:48
Total time (26.5): 22:47

Offline jzion12345

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2010, 08:15:58 PM »
And so you all know, Lonestar ASKED to be on the show themselves, and here they get a free 1-hour promo. We may have more bands asking to do this in the future.

...and unfortunately, TPTB will agree to it because they think any gimmick works.

Offline Otm Shank

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2010, 08:19:08 PM »
I thought the house band thing was pulled off pretty good. Just enough -- although I was in and out during the show, so it might've been overkill had I been sitting in my favorite chair. Then, maybe I would've given it a raspberry. Only one person would dare give me the raspberry.

LONESTAR!!

I might be old, because I just kept hearing Rick Moranis's voice throughout the whole episode.

Offline icazzy

• In the Audience
    • my YT page, full of Game Shows and other stuff
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2010, 08:43:19 PM »
Now, my opinions on Lonestar.

Simply put, this was all one big commercial for Lonestar.  The Lonestar showcase was better than the Dollyrots showcase they did several months ago, and Lonestar themselves weren't all that bad, but Drew just kept plugging them throughout the show, and that made the show pretty much unwatchable.  In addition, Lonestar played into the commercial breaks, fee plugs, and even SCSD#1, when the contestant won $10,000 on the wheel.  IMO, they should only have appeared in the Showcase and not playing throughout the show as a "house band".
Tripcase n.  A showcase that contains one or more trips.