Author Topic: "1985" Price Cue Additions - TVPMM  (Read 8670 times)

Offline sjd93

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: "1985" Price Cue Additions - TVPMM
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2010, 09:53:33 AM »
Wow... Track 8 is really fantastic. It's really a shame that it was not very widely used. Hell, it's a shame that all of these aren't widely used. Hearing all these really does make me dislike the new cues even more.
I find it ironic how the show tries to mix up the prizes and offer "cool" things like over-stuffed trips and impossible to price items to make the show less "predictable." Yet, the same things happen every single time a show airs.

-temptation1979ga

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2010, 07:05:23 PM »
Rub Mike Richards' nose in real music, that's a great idea :)

Offline price_authority

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2010, 11:41:50 AM »
I'm not knocking Edd Kalehoff or his compositions after he left Score--Double Dare and Finders Keepers rank up there with my favorite themes of all time--but this older Score stuff is much better than the newer Kalehoff stuff in terms of music used on Price.

While Kalehoff's material from the 80s on is still better than most of what other composers have done, it is, honestly, somewhat "cookie-cutter". Score's work has been much more eclectic in style. It can be said that Score is a "cooperative" of composers, and each composer has their own style.

Regarding his work for Goodson, IMO Kalehoff never really bounced back from the "dark period" when Goodson was reaching back and using the likes of Bob Cobert. The exception to that statement might be the second Card Sharks theme; MG/HS Hour and Trivia Trap were certainly no great shakes. Card Sharks 2 made up in arrangement what it lacked in melody.
Before you call your lawyer to sue me, know that everything contained in this post and in all of my posts past, present and future is entirely MY PERSONAL OPINION.

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2010, 08:57:45 PM »
Mark primarily used Bob Cobert during the 60's (Password's 2nd theme, TPIR's second theme, TTTT's 2nd theme, etc.) until he started using Score productions and Edd Kalehoff starting in 1968.  To My knowledge, he didn't use Bob again until Blockbusters in 1980 and That's My Line in 1981 and that was it.  After his primary stint with Goodson, Cobert was primarily used by Bob Stewart.  I'm only talking about shows that made it to air.  I don't know if Goodson used Cobert for any pilots.

Offline price_authority

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2010, 01:48:17 PM »
Goodson started using Score earlier than 1968. Kalehoff was not involved and the music was largely composed by Charles Fox. For TML and BB Goodson was not using Kalehoff so he turned to Cobert presumably because Score couldn't take on another show at the time. Mike Gargiulo had done a lot of work for Bob Stewart in New York and came to L.A. to do TML and presumably proposed Cobert for that show, being familiar with Cobert through his association with Bob Stewart. Bob Stewart knew of Cobert from his work for Goodson on Password, TPIR and TTTT. Funny how things go in circles.

I don't know why Goodson started using Kalehoff in the '80s independently of Score, and why his second association with Cobert didn't last longer.
Before you call your lawyer to sue me, know that everything contained in this post and in all of my posts past, present and future is entirely MY PERSONAL OPINION.

Offline REDHEADVICKI

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2010, 11:53:41 PM »
Wow... Track 8 is really fantastic. It's really a shame that it was not very widely used. Hell, it's a shame that all of these aren't widely used. Hearing all these really does make me dislike the new cues even more.
I agree. They need to use these old cues again. Track 3(Make your Move) is my favorite. They rarely use this cue at all. They only time I hear it at all is when they play Make Your Move, and that is about 12 times a year at best.
However, i did hear the cue twice back in season 36 when they played Race Game & Take Two, playing the make your move cue.   ;)