Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 7/2/2010 (DSW #3)  (Read 52581 times)

Offline Spyne

• In the Audience
  • Keep it cool, and keep moving forward.
    • The Mainframe
Re: Recap -- 7/2/10
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 09:31:53 PM »
Great 4th of July show today, and the DSW was awesome! It's been another great season to watch with you guys here in the G-R.net chat, and even spawned our own accompanying chat on Skype as well, which has been a blast. :D Well, we're now in Priceless Summer reruns until late August. Hope all fellow Americans have a great holiday weekend, and all of you have a great Summer! I'll still visit here to keep up with current events and such, though. Here's to next season! :)  
Keep it cool, and keep moving forward!

Proud member of the Golden-Road.net After Hours group on Skype & Facebook. We bring the craziness, all with a Secretariat dance and a robot skeleton by our side.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 10:19:45 PM »
I don't know how they thought they were going to pay for it, but it looks like Triple Play was supposed to be won, or at least reach the last car.  It really shouldn't have ended the way it did.

Incidentally, this was by far the best Drew has ever hosted Triple Play.

Gah.  Most Expen$ive and That's Too Much! repeated this week.

Pick-a-Number was actually easy for once.  (And yet still lost. :P)

Did anyone else find it odd that on an Independence Day-themed show with American flags and bunting all over the place, they played That's Too Much! for a Nissan?

I have a feeling Roger's clipboard went flying during the Showcase. :)

Speaking of the Showcase, has anyone ever heard of that baseball player?  And had anyone on the staff heard him talk?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 10:26:58 PM »
Triple Play:  Nice to see this one again, too bad it was lost.  To me, the setup on the second car was screaming $21,615.
Pick A Number:  That was evil, IMHO.
That's Too Much:  It was actually won - holy cow! :-o
Now Or Then:  Horribly played :-(
Showcases:  What a great :dsw:! :biggrin:

Pretty good show overall, IMHO.  Can't wait for season 39.  Also can't wait to see Rat Race again.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 10:51:31 PM »
I'd like to chip in my two cents on TP today.

All someone has to do is see the last Punchy (from last Friday) see what Kev & I dubbed the "reverse effect". Three of the SPs were surprisingly higher, Greco's traps, and then the last one is lower. However, the girl said higher on the last one. Greco thinks that she is giving a free punch away to insure there is at least (and optimally) one punch. But a decent contestant will think anything goes after getting shocked at least twice, and it's likely something else exotic at the end...and it's not. This is the prime example of the "reverse effect" and sometimes applies to Plinko as well.

Today, Morgan DSW'd on a random California thing, D.C. and a truck, so she is definitely at least decent. Take a look at the middle setup of last playing ("Last P"), on a Chevy Malibu 1LS over 3.5 months ago, and this one:

Last P: 19,970 / 21,850 / 24,750
Today: 21,615 / 23,110 / 24,160

RANGES BETWEEN CHOICES:
Last P: 1880 / 2900
Today: 1495(!) / 1050

With both setups not being the unbounded 3rd one, the range today was cut nearly in half. What I strongly feel like happened is that the really tight bound suggested to Morgan that it just might be correct - extending the "reverse effect" to bounds like TTM and this. It was also a Ford FUSION, which has not been seen in months and isn't exactly a well-known car. And again, it barely had any options which caused the painful loss on March 15th.

Therefore, you can say that Morgan did not match expectations but I feel like Greco notched it up quite a bit. Also, for your comfort Steve, the nasty Mustang convertible was 99% set up like the Chevy Equinox on March 15th, I'm pretty sure that was controlled relatively well. People like Tracy would have fell for a high-20k as opposed to the 25-26 as it is, but I feel Morgan would have had a shot at it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 10:53:54 PM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline voguevixen

• In Contestant's Row
    • Twitter
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 10:57:34 PM »
I was really really really more excited than a normal person should be to see "That's Too Much" won.  Even Drew seemed ecstatic, lol.

That was one of the worst "Now/Then" playings I've ever seen, but in her defense I thought all the items were kind of tough.  I'm usually pretty good at that game but I totally had no idea this time.
I apologise in advance.

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 11:08:58 PM »
I really think Greco was trying hard for this show to be perfect. Just about every game seemed fairly easy to win. Nevertheless, what a show! That second showcase was like Heaven on Earth for me...all that baseball stuff, the All-Star Game, and a brand new Camaro? Wow. :D
Signatures are overrated.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 12:03:30 AM »
Speaking of the Showcase, has anyone ever heard of that baseball player?  And had anyone on the staff heard him talk?
I have, although I never would have guessed he appeared in 5 All Star games.  I was expecting a really big name when they were doing his introduction (like Randy Johnson for example), and it ended up being a guy that most people who aren't big baseball watchers wouldn't know of.  Speaking of that Showcase though, man was it full of stuff!  I normally don't like the big package showcases with guests (like in yesterday's Super Bowl show rerun), but this one was just a showcase to envy.

And yes, Triple Play should have at least went to the convertible.  I called Triple Play being played for a red, white, and blue car!

An awesome DSW also!  I was afraid of a double overbid after Drew's comment.

Offline spoon14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Straight outta Medellin!
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2010, 12:39:43 AM »
Yup, I definitely know Chuck Finley. He's a player whose stature is such that people who follow baseball should basically all know him (unless they only started following the game after Finley retired), but he doesn't transcend the game where non-fans would know him. Well, except he was married to Tawny Kitaen. As a Mets fan, I'm more of a National League person. But while I didn't watch him pitch much, his name would bring instant recognition for me. He won 200 games, which isn't too shabby. I just checked and only three active pitchers (if one counts Pedro Martinez as still active) have more than 200 wins. He sounded like he was doing a professional wrestling promo, but to me that preferably to the dead fish like the country music guy who did Half Off.

Pick a Number was super-easy. It's nice to see that the TTM contestant realized the Cube is an inexpensive car.

It's funny that Drew's show reveal of the Showcase ARPs actually worked to the show's benefit this time. He was really anticipating a Double Overbid, so the DSW had a bigger impact.

I'm pretty sure Drew forgot to mention spaying and neutering. I hope Bob Barker doesn't attack him in a dark alley for the oversight.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2010, 01:39:09 AM »
It's funny that Drew's show reveal of the Showcase ARPs actually worked to the show's benefit this time. He was really anticipating a Double Overbid, so the DSW had a bigger impact.

Unless things have changed since two years ago (and this is one thing I can't see why they would change), Drew knows when there's a double showcase win.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2010, 05:40:04 AM »
Good Show!

If Morgan had won Triple Play in addition to her DSW, how much would she have won?  It certainly would have been a Daytime Show record!

Joe

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2010, 06:46:53 AM »
Yup, I definitely know Chuck Finley. He's a player whose stature is such that people who follow baseball should basically all know him (unless they only started following the game after Finley retired), but he doesn't transcend the game where non-fans would know him. Well, except he was married to Tawny Kitaen

The Tawny Kitean thing, and the messy divorce they had a few years ago now, was the first thing that came to mind when I saw him come out. I was a little surprised they'd use him given that fact, but......I'm guessing since he was an Angel, and also since the all star is being held in Anaheim this year they decided to have him appear for this. His way of speaking did come off as awkward though at times.

Good to see a TTM win for once, as well as actually changing where they had the correct choice albeit just one off the 2nd. What did you guys think of the way it was revealed incidentally? I don't recall them really doing it in such a way before.

Also, did anyone else find it odd that Drew closed saying: "we'll see you Monday", when there isn't a new episode for the rest of the summer now basically?

Offline Macsen

• The mythical, elusive S39-S40 Recap Guide
    • Twitch streaming
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2010, 07:10:45 AM »
People need to remember: the fridge is a Heartland. That's all you need to know.

:dsw: s always make shows awesome.
"Kitch? Yes, that is what they used to call me..."

Offline clemsonfight

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2010, 10:45:04 AM »
Did anyone notice that (unless I'm very much mistaken) Drew forgot the Spay and Neuter your pets line at the end of the show?

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2010, 11:04:29 AM »
If Morgan had won Triple Play in addition to her DSW, how much would she have won?  It certainly would have been a Daytime Show record!
Without regards to the 3rd car in Triple Play, she would have won $107,930.  As far as I know, Vickyann has the biggest winnings at $147,517, so that would mean the 3rd car would have had to been at least $39,587 for Morgan to beat Vickyann's record.

Offline spoon14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Straight outta Medellin!
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2010, 12:23:33 PM »
The Tawny Kitean thing, and the messy divorce they had a few years ago now, was the first thing that came to mind when I saw him come out. I was a little surprised they'd use him given that fact, but......I'm guessing since he was an Angel, and also since the all star is being held in Anaheim this year they decided to have him appear for this. 
Yeah, I figured Anaheil hosting was the reason he was there. I'd figured they'd have to pick a retired player because of the taping date. Picking an Angel narrows the choices further. So if they picked someone primarily known as an Angel, Finley would be one of the more prominent choices. They could have gone with Rod Carew (although he spent more of his playing days with the Twins). Nolan Ryan was an Angel, but he's an executive with the Rangers and has more of an association with the state of Texas (both Rangers and Astros) in my opinion.

Did anyone notice that (unless I'm very much mistaken) Drew forgot the Spay and Neuter your pets line at the end of the show?
Yup, I pointed that out a few posts upthread.