Author Topic: More Aussie Price  (Read 64493 times)

Offline Patchy

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: More Aussie Price
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 10:32:40 PM »
Both are great clips of Ian Turpie bit retro that  promo one love it. Also love Ian's style of hosting.

Offline robbie_the_dips

• In Contestant's Row
  • Aussie TPIR Fanatic!
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 03:20:40 AM »
As promised, The Generation Gap episode

Please note, the full episode is over 40 mins long (it appears YouTube have softened their stance on 10 minute videos!)

Enjoy (have a few episodes uploading today)

Offline robbie_the_dips

• In Contestant's Row
  • Aussie TPIR Fanatic!
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 05:12:08 AM »

from the first couple of shows in 2003

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 10:03:53 AM »
Absolutely fantastic videos, two excellent episodes!  Would love to see more if you have them.

It's funny watching these again after having watched most of the past 1 1/2 seasons of the US Price Is Right.

Things of note from the Generation Gap episode:

- I love Bump and wish it could return to the US series.   $1447 was always going to be wrong considering it was two pens ;)
- I love the 5 Price Tags prop; it looks like what I imagine the US one would look like if theirs didn't have the history attached to it.
- Sensational to see a Temptation win!!  Always a suspenseful game.
- I was shocked to see Flip Flop there; I always thought it was on the turntable!!?  Probably makes sense considering they'd have taken Temptation off the turntable and put the Showcase prop on it.  I also forgot that the prop wasn't just red and white :O
- It always amazes me how many themes the show used for all the different prize reveals, even the IUFB's.

Lastly, I think Drew does a great job on the US TPIR, and is doing especially well this season.   But Larry is just the ultimate professional when it comes to game show hosts.   Shame he doesn't have an American accent as he'd have otherwise been a perfect choice when Bob retired... :P
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:07:44 AM by brosa0 »

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 03:31:15 PM »
What a nice version thanks for posting the episodes!  Larry is an amazing host

Offline robbie_the_dips

• In Contestant's Row
  • Aussie TPIR Fanatic!
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 05:41:46 AM »

1989 promo advertising the return of TPIR

horrilbe quality, but this was a great promo from around 95 or 96
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 05:44:05 AM by robbie_the_dips »

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 08:31:02 AM »
Just noticed these clips have been uploaded in the past month from the 1989 version with Ian Turpie

Part 1 (Pathfinder, SCSD 1 and Hole In One):

Part 2 (SCSD 2 - including a bit of a stuff up from Ian Turpie)

It's a bit bizarre to think that we had games like Pathfinder and Bullseye played in the 80's version but weren't then played in the Larry Emdur era at all.  Those extra games would've added some much-needed variety.

Offline kassilynn

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2011, 10:09:20 AM »
Are there any game shows left in Australia ?  Because I know "TPiR" and "Wheel of Fortune" were the two most popular game shows over there and I know Larry Emdur had hosted "Wheel" over there for that one season before the network pulled the plug.  I also believe that Larry Emdur sat in the studio audience at our "TPiR" sometime back in the mid-90s, he's a great game show host !  

It's fun to look at these "TPiR's", these are cool !
"Say whatever you want to about me, my artwork, etc, I don't really care.
If you don't want me or even like me, then I'm DAMN sure am not gonna let myself want OR
like YOU !"

^ That's my message to all you haters and people who are negative when it comes to me.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2011, 11:05:04 AM »
The only real genuine game shows we have left on free to air tv are Deal or No Deal,  Hot Seat Millionaire and later on this year Million Dollar Drop will be premiering.    We did have Minute To Win It and Beat The Star last year but I don't really consider them game shows in the more traditional sense.

Deal or No Deal has swept all before it since 2004, being shown daily as the lead in to the news.   It was responsible for the death of Price is Right, WWTBA Millionaire, Million Dollar Wheel of Fortune and Bert's Family Feud all in the competing timeslot on their main rival station. 

Hot Seat Millionaire is the first game show to take it to Deal or No Deal and has been neck and neck with it for about 9 months now.   I imagine both of these game shows are substantially cheaper than TPIR to produce and air given the lack of moving set pieces during the show, and the fact that both offer only one main prize which is rarely more than $20,000 (especially for Hot Seat) and often as low as $1000.

The only way I can see The Price Is Right coming back on is if channel 7 decide to rest Deal or No Deal and replace it with TPIR hosted by Larry Emdur.   Larry recently re-signed with 7 on big, big money so they may look to get more out of him than just co-hosting a daily morning show.  However DonD is still doing its job, so I can't see this happening anytime soon.

Offline gshowguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2011, 04:41:45 PM »
Because I know "TPiR" and "Wheel of Fortune" were the two most popular game shows over there

What about Sale of the Century? It had a 22-year run on Nine, as well as four more years as "Temptation" on the same channel.

Offline shieldsy101

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2011, 04:35:43 AM »
I think that he means gameshows retired in the last 5 or so years. You are right though, Sale was a big hit in Australia. My grandma was actually on Sale in 1985 and won everything. Unfortunately I don't have the video but I do have a list of prizes containing what she won.
Speedboat (worth $15,000+)
Dining Room Setting (worth $8,000+)
Musical Instruments (Guitar, Piano and Drumkit) (worth $18,000+)
Grandfather Clock ($6,000+)
Camping Trailer ($12,000+)
Trip to Canada ($16,500+)
BMW 750i Sedan ($60,000+)
Cash Jackpot ($162,000)
She has sold the majority of the prizes due to taxes and stuff, sold the drumkit off to me, and kept the trailer in her backyard. In total she won approximately $297,500
Hurricane Microsoft - It'll make your Windows Crash
Andrew Hansen from the Chaser's War on Everything (Australian Comedy Series) discussing whether companies should brand a natural disaster

Offline robbie_the_dips

• In Contestant's Row
  • Aussie TPIR Fanatic!
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2011, 10:41:08 PM »
just a boring video of the credits rolling at the end of the show until the last few seconds, where something different happens to the showcase board

Offline theamazingracer

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2011, 11:46:46 PM »
So, I can't find the actual thread the original comment was in, but this is as good a fit as any to reply in: It makes sense that there are games from Turpie's era that didn't survive the transition to Larry. With a four-year break and a different network between them, it seems likely sets would have had to have been rebuilt from scratch, making it more expensive than keeping the old props and just adding a few new ones. Cheques went out of style at about that time, so that was never coming back, and Pathfinder really did not translate well to television (much like On The Spot didn't). The one I'm surprised about not making a comeback, though? Split Decision. It was played a couple of time right towards the very end of the late '90s version (with three guesses and Larry pulling the numbers down to stop the broken-set issues that plagued the original) and worked fairly well, but was the only game that didn't survive the break between Larry's two versions. Considering most games used the original sets for the second version (One Dollar Deal was new and garish, and Temptation got a paint job, but I think that was pretty much it), it seems odd.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2011, 05:31:48 AM »
I don't recall Split Decision ever being part of our version, although I may be wrong.    Perhaps you are thinking of Make Your Move, which did have a slight prop alteration between the two Larry Emdur series?

Offline theamazingracer

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2011, 06:41:56 AM »
Nope. Split Decision was definitely played at least once, right towards the very end (as in within the last couple of months or so). MYM's first set was dark blue and the second was yellow-orange-red (or was it the other way 'round?) but the SD set was two-toned green, if I recall correctly.