Author Topic: More Aussie Price  (Read 64511 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: More Aussie Price
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2011, 11:29:43 AM »
Pathfinder really did not translate well to television (much like On The Spot didn't).

What is that supposed to mean?  I have never in my life heard anyone make that comparison.

The one I'm surprised about not making a comeback, though? Split Decision. It was played a couple of time right towards the very end of the late '90s version (with three guesses and Larry pulling the numbers down to stop the broken-set issues that plagued the original)

You mean the ones that happened on exactly one episode?

I thought we'd killed that rumor off years ago.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline theamazingracer

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2011, 08:23:39 AM »
Clearly once was enough to make a lasting impression.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2011, 07:37:57 PM »
Clearly once was enough to make a lasting impression.

No, Brad Francini showcasing the damn thing on his website made a lasting impression.  That episode was the only exposure a lot of people had to Split Decision, and it didn't do the game justice.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2011, 09:28:01 PM »
Another lasting impression was the video of that playing on Tony Harrison's site.  Maybe he was just joking or being sarcastic when he subtitled the video "This is why Split Decision was retired" on his page (or he also believed the prop was prone to numbers falling off).
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2011, 06:48:39 PM »
Just came across a "Where are they now" segment of a TV show broadcast earlier in 2011 that featured a shot of the Aussie Switcheroo prop.   This was different to the one used on the 1990 Ian Turpie version.

I am fairly sure the dots lit up green on the prices they got right at the end.

The source clip, for those interested, features interviews with several classic game show hosts including Ian Turpie and Larry Emdur.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 06:52:27 PM by brosa0 »

Offline AthleticsFan

• In Contestant's Row
    • Strat-O-NASCAR Channel Forum
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2011, 11:32:45 AM »
Just came across a "Where are they now" segment of a TV show broadcast earlier in 2011 that featured a shot of the Aussie Switcheroo prop.   This was different to the one used on the 1990 Ian Turpie version.

I am fairly sure the dots lit up green on the prices they got right at the end.

The source clip, for those interested, features interviews with several classic game show hosts including Ian Turpie and Larry Emdur.

For The Record It's Also Featured Clips of Press Your Luck with Ian Turpie!

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2012, 11:37:46 PM »
A new clip up on Youtube - here is a playing of our Line Em Up.

I remember thinking how good the blue looked on the game's prop.

Offline theamazingracer

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2012, 12:40:52 AM »
Nice shade of yellow on the Switcheroo prop, but it really doesn't fit with the ridiculous amount of grey.

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2012, 11:18:27 PM »
Another episode here, from 2003.   Games played are Switch, Temptation, Magic Number.

Offline robbie_the_dips

• In Contestant's Row
  • Aussie TPIR Fanatic!
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2013, 03:24:30 AM »
bump :) howdy y'all

found another aussie price on youtube. this time from 1996!

also, an ad from the 80's showing penny ante

enjoy

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2013, 11:40:28 AM »
Wow i never knew Ian version had  penny ante. Did they had clock game?

Offline robbie_the_dips

• In Contestant's Row
  • Aussie TPIR Fanatic!
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2013, 11:01:18 PM »
Wow i never knew Ian version had  penny ante. Did they had clock game?
definitely had that one

Offline theamazingracer

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2014, 01:30:06 AM »
That behind-the-scenes report on Youtube claims the Turpie version had "33 different games". I've managed to confirm 28 of them from various sources, but the last five are unknown. It's also possible that (1) they're counting the Big Wheel, Double Bullseye, and the Showcase in the tally and that (2) more games were added after the report was shown. But for now, this is as close as we're going to get to a list of the Aussie pricing games:

Offline theamazingracer

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2014, 01:42:22 AM »
That behind-the-scenes report on Youtube claims the Turpie version had "33 different games". I've managed to confirm 28 of them from various sources, but the last five are unknown. It's also possible that (1) they're counting the Big Wheel, Double Bullseye, and the Showcase in the tally and that (2) more games were added after the report was shown. But for now, this is as close as we're going to get to a list of the Aussie pricing games:

A few things to note though:
1. Push Over isn't the same as the US game.
2. When Larry took over, Lucky Seven was renamed One Dollar Deal. It looks likely Double Prices was renamed 2 Price Tags at the same time.
3. Mystery Price and Split Decision both debuted after they were retired in the US. Split Decision used the "three chances" rule.
4. Most of the car games where free digits were added when five-digit prices became common were kept as four-digit prize games; the only exceptions were Switcheroo (which became a four-digit prize game despite the extra digit not mattering), Lucky Seven (where the player had to guess all five digits), and Temptation (which kept the free digit but compensated by making the game much harder, with three different digits in most of the prices). Hole in One never added the "...or Two".

Offline TheGRVOfLightning

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • This is my favourite game.
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2014, 02:19:50 AM »
NOTE: One Away was definitely played on the 2012 version.
My sports teams are

AFL (Australia): North Melbourne, NRL: Melbourne Storm, NHL: Anaheim Ducks, AHL: San Diego Gulls, NBA: Los Angeles Lakers, NFL: San Francisco 49ers, MLB: Boston Red Sox, MLS: LA Galaxy, Super Rugby: Melbourne Rebels, Big Bash League: Melbourne Stars, A-League: Melbourne Victory, ABL (Australian Baseball League): Melbourne Aces, AIHL (Australian Ice Hockey League): Melbourne Ice, NBL (National Basketball League [Australia]): Melbourne United, Premier League: Manchester United