Author Topic: More Aussie Price  (Read 64521 times)

Offline theamazingracer

• In Contestant's Row
Re: More Aussie Price
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2014, 03:10:49 AM »
Yes, it was. For some reason I was thinking there were only 17 games in that version, when there were in fact 18.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2014, 09:39:04 AM »
Per the list, Cliff Hangers, Hole In One, Safe Crackers, and Squeeze Play were the only ones played on all five post-1970s versions.

I say "post-1970s" because of the 1973-74 version hosted by Garry Meadows, which as far as I can tell is a rather large question mark.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline theamazingracer

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2014, 08:03:36 PM »
My understanding is it was the same format as Cullen's version.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2014, 08:40:45 PM »

Having seen what appear to be Showcase podiums from that version, I somehow doubt that.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2014, 08:58:44 PM »
You can see a very brief clip of the Garry Meadows version, including Clock Game and a very cheap trip at this youtube link:

Offline robbie_the_dips

• In Contestant's Row
  • Aussie TPIR Fanatic!
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2014, 03:47:56 AM »
Split decision wasn't played here was it?

1981 definitely featured Take Two & Hi-Lo, didn't feature Plinko, Secret X or Punch a Bunch. Also had Trader Bob (can't remember what it was called though) as well as Give or Keep, Poker Game, Shell Game, and surprisingly enough It's Optional. I'd has-it-a-guess that what Fiona McDonald is referring to in that clip is the current rotation.

1989 had Credit Card & Clock Game, didn't have Bargain, Bonus, Bullseye, Bump, Hi-Lo, One Away, Penny Ante, Pick A Pair, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Take 2, Ten Chances or 3 Strikes

When I was a small child, I had about 10 videotapes full of TNPiR, and I also taped every 89PIR. Being I was also a dull child, I decided taping over them would be a great idea... They were all on high rotation during weekends and school holidays :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 03:55:26 AM by robbie_the_dips »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2014, 04:39:45 AM »
I'd has-it-a-guess

No, you'd hazard a guess.

(I'm sorry, but misinterpreting idioms is a colossal pet peeve of mine.)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2014, 02:37:45 PM »
It was not, although Australia did adapt the Cullen version for two regional runs in the 1957-59 period, followed by a run hosted by Horrie Dargie in 1963.

You can see a very brief clip of the Garry Meadows version, including Clock Game and a very cheap trip at this youtube link
In addition to the clip beginning at 8:39, there are also clips beginning at 3:42. Given this and its apparent obscurity, I believe the 1973-74 Australian Price (which, I believe, was the originator of the Double Bullseye-style Showcase format) would be a good addition to the Golden Gallery.

At the very least, this confirms that Clock Game was used in the 1970s, which in turn means the 2012 version was the odd one out (as if it were already not odd enough).
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline theamazingracer

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2014, 05:49:21 PM »
Split decision wasn't played here was it?

It definitely was, I used to have a playing of it on VHS. The set was blue, mostly the same basic shade as our Pathfinder grid. I believe it was introduced literally a month or two before the show was axed (that time).

Offline robbie_the_dips

• In Contestant's Row
  • Aussie TPIR Fanatic!
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2014, 02:09:06 AM »
It definitely was, I used to have a playing of it on VHS. The set was blue, mostly the same basic shade as our Pathfinder grid. I believe it was introduced literally a month or two before the show was axed (that time).
which incarnation?

Offline theamazingracer

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2014, 03:21:35 AM »
93-98, Larry's first version.

Offline tpirfan1991

• In the Audience
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2014, 11:45:15 PM »
Some more clips from the '03 - '06 version, all uploaded by mrsmooth81

First, a Monster Showcase win from 2005

Then, the Friday show from the Premiere Week

And finally, a hour-long show from the Monster Showcase era (I don't think they had these long, they changed to the 2 Pricing Games/1 showcase format sometime in '05)

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:48:53 PM by tpirfan1991 »

Offline robbie_the_dips

• In Contestant's Row
  • Aussie TPIR Fanatic!
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2014, 01:37:25 AM »
ahh, I see you beat me to it :)

more coming soon. just need to find the time to remove commercials, rip from video etc

Offline robbie_the_dips

• In Contestant's Row
  • Aussie TPIR Fanatic!

Offline gshowguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2014, 09:42:01 PM »
Glad to finally see Laurie's full episode in action! And Beverley from that same episode going bonkers during Cover Up...