Author Topic: Hot Off The Press!  (Read 37289 times)

Offline Marc

• Executive Producer
    • Golden Road
Hot Off The Press!
« on: July 19, 2010, 03:33:05 PM »
As everyone knows, Price resumes tapings today after an unusually long 6 week hiatus.

We've been sent a few tidbits of what is to come in Season 39 just to share with you!

As you may have heard, a new game is planned for Season 39 featuring a never before offered prize.  That prize -- $100,000 cash.  The game is called "Pay the Rent" and you can get a sneak peek of what the game looks like right here:

As a bonus, you may notice a small change to a very familiar game on the show.

Of course, there is more to come...but that's enough for now.  Oh, and we may be hearing more from the models this year, too!

Enjoy!

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Re: Hot Off The Press!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 03:34:39 PM »
Let's see, Plinko has a new plasma display.  That, I can live with.

I'll be curious to see how Pay the Rent plays out.  Hopefully it will only see the same frequency as Golden Road or 3 Strikes, given its insanely high top prize.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 03:38:44 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline BD

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 03:37:06 PM »
Pay the rent sounds like it's going to be a very exciting game just given the fact that it's going to be played for $100,000.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 03:43:51 PM »
Let the freakout begin about Plinko getting a plasma display in 3...2...1... :lol:

Well, given the show's remarkably low winning percentage these days, I can safely say nobody is ever going to win the top prize in Pay the Rent.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 03:44:44 PM »
I'll be curious to see how Pay the Rent plays out.  Hopefully it will only see the same frequency as Golden Road or 3 Strikes, given its insanely high top prize.

Well, either that or the odds of winning the top prize are astronomical and a typical 'win' in the game will be in the $10,000-$30,000 range, a la Plinko.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 03:50:37 PM »
Oh boy...I need the rules before I can judge. Also, does this mean we now have a Big 4?
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline sjd93

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 04:00:29 PM »
The Plinko display... meh, not a big deal. Don't really care.

"Pay the Rent..." Well, I kind of like the sheer grandness and weirdness of the set, but I would like to have the rules. That top prize is nice, but it doesn't phase me that much because it seems very likely that there won't be a reasonable chance of winning it.

Hearing more from the models... I like that.

Also, does this mean we now have a Big 4?

Eh... not really. Because if you consider Plinko's top prize, then it would be included as part of the "Big" 3, 4, however many. I don't think cash games qualify as such.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 04:02:33 PM by sjd93 »
I find it ironic how the show tries to mix up the prizes and offer "cool" things like over-stuffed trips and impossible to price items to make the show less "predictable." Yet, the same things happen every single time a show airs.

-temptation1979ga

Offline chad1m

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 04:01:21 PM »
I feel like I just walked onto the set of The Brady Bunch looking at Pay the Rent - and I like that! But, of course, gotta wait to see how it will play out.

Plinko going digital isn't much of a big deal. I wonder if they'll keep the eggcrates or go all Showcase on us.

Offline sjd93

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 04:08:51 PM »
Alright, looking at that set, I'm gonna try to figure out some stuff about the rules:

Judging from the shape and displays, there are probably intervals at which you can win increasing amounts of money, possibly by "paying the rent" on increasingly expensive prizes - perhaps themed as "apartments," or something like that. The contestant will likely have the option to keep what they have, or go on. That all seems likely to me. What isn't clear is how a "pricing" element will fit in...

Marc, can you tell us who created the game?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 04:14:05 PM by sjd93 »
I find it ironic how the show tries to mix up the prizes and offer "cool" things like over-stuffed trips and impossible to price items to make the show less "predictable." Yet, the same things happen every single time a show airs.

-temptation1979ga

Offline TPIRmaniac

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Have your human spayed or neutered.
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 04:16:42 PM »
I hope the plan is to put mics on the models, like in LMAD, so we can have more interaction between everyone on set.

..and I love the retro looking game set!
SummerTIME!

Offline EyeMobileScott

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 04:19:59 PM »
"KER-THUD!!" and another eggcrate display finds it's way into the dumpster behind TVC (or some knowledgeable crew member now has a rather unique address display for his house). If my math is right there's only about 7 or 8 games left that still have them--unless the crew went and replaced all eggcrates with LCDs over the break.

Had it not been mentioned that "Pay The Rent" is a $100,000 game I would've guessed just by looking at the game prop that it's rules would've been similar to "Shopping Spree" in that the contestant would have to "sell" 3 out of 4 smaller prizes to make the "rent." But since it's a big prize game, I'll bet the gameplay will be something much different/more difficult to win.

Offline AntmanB

• In the Audience
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 04:21:35 PM »
I consider a "Big 3 Game" to be a game that is not played as often and usually has a very big prize.

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 04:35:17 PM »
One year removed from the Contestants' Row/Showcase podia display drama, and everyone is shrugging off the Plinko display changing. Love it.

Pay the Rent sounds interesting, but probably about as likely to be won as the $1,000,000 on Wheel of Fortune. That's not the game for the season premiere, is it? Whatever happened to "hand game"?

Offline 444dd

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HYO #7 will be in a few months
    • My Youtube
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 04:40:29 PM »
That new game looks like a cartoon I LOVE IT.  Also $100,000 has been offerd before duing the MDS Plinko was raised to 20,000 for the center slot.
That wasn't a showcase, that was an infomercial.

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 04:43:10 PM »
Also $100,000 has been offerd before duing the MDS Plinko was raised to 20,000 for the center slot.

When we talk records here, we usually exclude nighttime shows because, as you say, the ante has been upped. It's not really fair to compare them considering the difference in budget; $100,000 on a daytime show is pretty much unheard of.