Author Topic: Image Cropping  (Read 6934 times)

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Image Cropping
« on: August 15, 2010, 08:03:04 PM »
I don't know if anyone has ever posted such a question (admins, please lock if so), but everytime I change my profile image, my image keeps getting cropped, and details of my images get hidden (there is nothing inappropriate in my images). Anyone having this problem?
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline 444dd

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HYO #7 will be in a few months
    • My Youtube
Re: Image Cropping
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 08:04:36 PM »
mine is doing it 2 and I have not changed mine I thinks it's becuse of the vrius we had on this site
That wasn't a showcase, that was an infomercial.

Offline kishy214

• Walking the Golden Road
    • Allen's Rock Band Videos on Youtube
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
It's definitely not because of the virus.

It's because your picture's just too darn big. Shrink it to a size that fits (mine is 120x120, but I think 150 pixels horizontal is the limit, no clue vertically) and then try using it instead.

Offline 444dd

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HYO #7 will be in a few months
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 08:13:20 PM »
hey now mine is not croped anymore what the heck
That wasn't a showcase, that was an infomercial.

Offline kishy214

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 09:32:46 PM »
Ignore what I just said. It's a browser issue... kinda. However wide your browser makes that left, "personal" side of the forum page is how big is allowed. I'm getting 200 pixels with Firefox and only 150 with Chrome, both fully maximized on a 1360x768 display. Display size is even more of an issue. I'd say the best idea though is to make your avatar around 100-120 pixels in width at the widest to ensure maximum viewability. Most displays are at least 768 pixels wide though so if you absolutely needed to, you could play with up to 150 pixels probably and get away with showing all of your avatar.

By the way, whowouldeverhurtawhammy, your name gets cut off as well due to this.

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 09:43:12 PM »
You have no idea what you're talking about and you know it.

The actual retail price is...

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 10:01:55 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but I see that whatever is actually causing the problem seems to affect Firefox, Internet Explorer, Seamonkey, and Safari in the exact same way but in Opera everything has the opposite problem.  Instead of being cropped, everything is way too wide.   It seems to be some kind of rendering issue.  I refuse to use Chrome so I'll take back what I said before and take Kishy's word regarding it.  This problem started right after that virus thing and I don't think Marc has gotten around to putting everything back to normal so this will likely be fixed once he gets to doing that.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:04:33 PM by gameshowfan1987 »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 11:55:50 PM »
Kishy is wrong in both of his posts.  The avatar issue is yet another thing that got screwed up during the malware attack.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 12:03:02 AM »
Thank you for confirming my suspicions on both accounts.

Offline kishy214

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 12:47:10 AM »
It's not an avatar issue though. Yeah, it's probably a product of the malware attack more as I think about it because I remember there being almost no left side area there for a while after the initial attack. But what's really happening is it's causing the script to not form a definite value for the width of the personal area on the left side and is instead leaving each browser to do as it pleases with changing the size of it. It's extremely easy to tell that the site is allowing the browser to change the size of that area by windowing the browser and changing the width of the browser. Because there's no longer a defined width to the sidebar, there's not a width being defined for the forum software to shrink any avatars or usernames, if there was such a thing to begin with.

That's what all the scripts are showing to me and my even-more computer savvy buddies. If something with my statement is wrong, blame Chrome for writing out the scripts incorrectly.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 11:23:50 AM »
That's what all the scripts are showing to me and my even-more computer savvy buddies. If something with my statement is wrong, blame Chrome for writing out the scripts incorrectly.

Marc himself had already confirmed weeks ago that it was caused by the malware attack.  I'm not sure what reading scripts has to do with it.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline SteveEllis

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 12:26:57 PM »
I think it is just the limits of the frame on this website.  That was set by the admins.
15. Messages posted express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of the administrators and moderations of this site.

Offline SteveEllis

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 12:37:39 PM »
I don't know if anyone has ever posted such a question (admins, please lock if so), but everytime I change my profile image, my image keeps getting cropped, and details of my images get hidden (there is nothing inappropriate in my images). Anyone having this problem?

OP, I checked.  Your image shows plenty both vertically and horizontally, what little cropping there is; I can still personally interpret your image.

I am using Internet Explorer 8.  A monitor set on 1024-768 (I know there are higher, but I choose this one/any higher and I'd have to squint my eyes.)
15. Messages posted express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of the administrators and moderations of this site.

Offline SteveEllis

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 12:42:52 PM »
Marc himself had already confirmed weeks ago that it was caused by the malware attack.  I'm not sure what reading scripts has to do with it.

Lucky for me, I wasn't on this site at the time of the malware attack being talked about here.
I think if I was, however, my virus protection software would have alarmed me.

I almost thought we were talking about the "Clown" prank way longer ago.  If that's the word for it; if not I'll check again.