Author Topic: Season 39 Game Updates/Refurbishments  (Read 6954 times)

Offline dylanspronck

• In the Audience
Re: Season 39 Game Updates/Refurbishments
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2010, 06:25:57 PM »
Maybe the new Plinko has fishing wires built-in that guarantee a big cash win :P

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2010, 06:39:22 PM »
I'm totally baffled as to why people keep saying this.  Bonus Game looks fine.  In fact, it looks cleaner in HD than it does in SD.

Gotta disagree with you here.  It may look cleaner, but the sharpness exposes the many blemishes this old prop has.  

I never noticed all the little hooks and hinges in the game before HD, and the lack of clean color in the arrow and asterisk stands out

So many blemishes in the stucco sides and the metal borders.  And the oldness of the Bonus lightbox really stands out.  I just finished replacing lots of moulding in my house, after it had clearly been painted over multiple times.  This prop reminds me of that.

I used to really hate Bonus's newest color scheme, but it actually isn't so bad against the new turntable.  Hope they keep the old set mostly intact, just clean it up.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 06:47:31 PM by sideshowPA »
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline bigwheel1991

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2010, 06:47:39 PM »
I used to really hate Bonus's newest color scheme, but it actually isn't so bad against the new turntable.  Hope they keep the old set mostly intact, just clean it up.

I hope so too. It looks great!

I can not wait to see the new stuff.
CSS Stats - Games Played: 3 - Points:???.?? - DSW: 1 - WSD: 0 - DOB: 0 - Lowest Score: $?????

Offline compdude512

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2010, 07:16:53 PM »
The first time I saw Bonus Game in HD, I saw something I'd never noticed in SD.  Aren't the red borders around the arrows on the prop made out of a cardboard material or some sort of poster board?  Every time Drew went to pull the prize placards out from behind the arrows, it looked as if the red borders were ever-so-slightly "peeled back" on the corners, sort of how a box would look if the top layer of cardboard was bent back or a piece of poster board would look if you dropped one of its corners on the floor.

As for my thoughts on Bonus Game, I really do hope they keep the classic look of that prop intact.  If I were in charge, I'd have the prop shop sand off the stucco, repaint everything, and retrofit 15" (or whatever size works) LCD screens within the "bonus" windows.  I would also consider changing the fonts on the prize placards from the various weights of Helvetica they currently use to something else and then doing the same thing to the fonts in the windows.

Tyler
"We, in fact, like it when people criticize what we've done on the show because it means you're thinking about the show." -Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2010, 07:24:02 PM »
Gotta disagree with you here.  It may look cleaner, but the sharpness exposes the many blemishes this old prop has.  

Completely agree. The picture's sharp in HD and the color scheme looks great with the current set, but man... Bonus Game is pretty beat up.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline wxfrcaster

• In the Audience
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2010, 12:06:07 AM »
My only concern with replacing some things with LCD's is I just like the mechanics of the games.  The new Family Feud board doesn't have the magic of the original.  Newer versions of NYSI and Blockbusters just were not as good without the monster of a board across the studio.  And think of the engineering that went into making some of those props.  Hat's off to those electricians and technicians for developing and building them, and the directors for squeezing, wiping, and other effects that are now easily done with DVE's and edition.  Superimposing a computer graphic on the screen doesn't have the magic and doesn't cut it for me.

Mechanical props break - yes.  And while I know S&P are watching, Bonus Game would just "seem" more honest if it's a back-lit window opposed to 4 LCD monitors.

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2010, 08:03:45 AM »
Not related to Bonus Game, but even in 2005, when Pocket CHange bowed, I could make out some of the numbers in the car price before they were lit.