Author Topic: The Price is Right - 08/27/10  (Read 52189 times)

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
The Price is Right - 08/27/10
« on: August 27, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
The Price is Right Recap - 8/27/2010

Episode #5221K (Back To School 2010 - Rich Fields' Last Day As Announcer)
Aired: 8/27/2010; Tape Date 5/26/2010? (CBS website isn't updated as of airdate)
Models: Amber Lancaster, Manuela Arbelaez, Lanisha Cole (Cookie Lee/Carlos)
Drew Entrance: Door #2
Mic Handoff: Amber
First Four Contestant Seating: Mixed

First IUFB: Personal electric transporter (ARP: $1,599) (Manuela)

MOHAMMAD TONIE BRIANNA MATTHEW WINNER
$900 $1200 $800 $1201 MATTHEW

Matthew, a Chemical Engineering major at Arizona State, is playing Push Over for a trip to Cabo San Lucas. (RT coach LA to Cabo San Lucas, 6n Jr. Suite Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Resort; day excursion for whale watching) (Lanisha)

DISPLAY 3 1 0 9 4 0 4 6 1        
CHOICE 3 1 0 9 4 0 4 6
ARP $4,046
*WIN*

Second IUFB: 3-in-1 game table (Park & Sun Sports; ARP: $587) (Lanisha)

Mohammad Tonie Brianna JACQUELYN WINNER
$500 $502 $1 $599 TONIE

Tonie, from my own University of Central Florida (GO KNIGHTS!), is playing Lucky $even for a Mazda 3 5-door. (2.5-litre engine, cruise control) (Manuela)

CHOICE -- 3 4 7 5  
ARP 2 1 2 9 5  
LEFT 7 5 3 1 1 *WIN*

ARP: $21,295

Third IUFB: Motorola DROID cell phone (Motorola, with 1-year 450-minute calling+data plan; ARP: $1,370) (Amber and Manuela)

Mohammad MILES Brianna Jacquelyn WINNER
$50 $455 $600

$450
?!?!?

BRIANNA

Brianna, an Alpha Chi from Cal State San Marcos (no idea which AK... there's Omega and Rho), is playing Plinko! (Lanisha and Manuela)

ITEM DISPLAY DIGIT CHOSEN ARP CHIP VALUE
2-in-1 twin coffee maker 35 5 $25 $500
900-watt red Microwave Oven 60 6 $65 $10,000
Rubik's Cube alarm clock 28 8 $18 $1,000
Vivitar 10MP digital camera 95 5 $90 WRONG
FREE CHIP VALUE: $10,000
TOTAL WON: $21,500
*WIN*

SCSD #1

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL
Matthew $5,645 10 45 .55
Tonie $21,882 95 STAY *SHOWCASE*
Brianna $22,978 15 25 .35

Fourth IUFB: 7.1 Home theater (w/160GB iPod classic; ARP: $1,148) (Lanisha)

Mohammad Miles TONYA Jacquelyn WINNER
$1202 $1 $1500

$1200

MILES

Miles, from UCLA, is playing Balance Game for a pair of sand buggies. (Joyner Sandviper 250 ORVs) (Amber and Manuela)

$998 FREE ARP: $7,998
LOSS
$1,000
$6,000  
$7,000

Fifth IUFB: Back-to-school clothing (American Apparel; ARP: $1,037) (Amber)

Mohammad ERIC Tonya Jacquelyn WINNER
$1 $550 $800 $600 TONYA

Tonya, another from UCLA who is seeking to get a friend in as well, is playing Check-Out for a Volkswagen Jetta California Edition. (2.5-litre engine, 6-speed automatic transmission, 17" alloy wheels, premium iPod adapter; ARP: $20,344) (Lanisha)

ITEM GUESS ARP
200pc college ruled loose leaf paper $1.50 $4.64
Cheez-It $3.25 $4.49
Red Bull (16 oz.) $2.00 $3.69
40pc Totino's pizza rolla $5.00 $4.89
16 Ticonderoga pencils (anti-bac) $2.00 $5.62
TOTAL $13.75 $23.33
LOSS

OUCH!!!

Mohammad's been glued to the red podium like the paste eater in your Kindergarten class. If he can't make the grade in the final one-bid, he'll be forcibly extricated by one Mimi and hauled to the First Four Midday Revue. I guarantee you, the food there will leave him longing for the good ol' days of "cheap chicken", rectangular pizza and expired half-pint milk cartons. And the entertainment is worse than the requisite quarterly recitals. Can he escape to the promised land?

Sixth IUFB: Xbox 360 Elite (extra controller, collection of 10 games; ARP: $1,005) (Manuela)

Mohammad Eric PEIPEI Jacquelyn WINNER
$1000 $1001 $850 $900 ERIC

Mohammad sulks to the reservation desk, while Eric, from Michigan (Drew, from Ohio, forgives him), is playing Switch?

ITEM DISPLAY GUESS ARP RESULT
Groceries for a year (one person) (Lanisha) $3247 SWITCH $4295 LOSS
Inspire M4 multi-station gym (Amber) $4295 $3247

I guarantee you, Drew on the inside is grinning ear to ear. So is Mohammad.

SCSD #2

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL
Eric $1,005 85 STAY *SHOWCASE*
Tonya $1,037 30 30 .60
Miles $1,148 60 65 OVER

SHOWCASE ROUND
Tonie has the honor...

SC1 - TONIE GRADE THIS SHOWCASE AN A
L-shaped workstation desk and Highbrow air chair, Lenovo IdeaPad E350 laptop, 15" LCD HDTV (Wanamaker Music; DVD player built-in) and Beverage Refrigerator (Lanisha)
$1,000 Amazon.com Gift Card (Lanisha)
Chrysler PT Cruiser Classic (2.4-litre engine, 4-speed automatic transmission, Convenience Group ADC) (Amber)
BID: $22,000
ARP: $23,442
DIFF: $1,442
*WIN* $45,324
SC2 - ERIC GOTTA LOVE YOUR SHOULDERS (all Manuela)
His-and-her backpacks (North Face)
Tour of Europe (Coach LA to Amsterdam, 9n train tour, 3n each Amsterdam, Paris and Barcelona, coach return Barcelona to LA)
Pair of Vespa LX150 motorscooters
BID: $23,000
ARP: $20,734
DIFF: OVER
LOSS $1,005

Show Results: 3 out of 6
Total Winnings: $77,137

THIS RECAP IS THE PRODUCED SOLELY FOR GOLDEN-ROAD.NET
UNAUTHORIZED REPRODUCTION OR EXHIBITION IS PROHIBITED

PRODUCED BY KITCH

Took me long enough to get it together.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 06:24:47 PM by Kitch »
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: The Price is Right - 08/27/10
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 04:35:05 PM »
I was amused that there was nothing special about this episode.  Beyond the modified logo, having all college students in the audience (which is par for the course, anyway), and having a bizarre set of products in Check-Out, it was a completely normal show.

Speaking of Check-Out, that was just plain mean.  There is no way anyone was going to win that.

Lucky $even wasn't supposed to be won, either...which made the fact that it was won all that much sweeter.  The next contestant wasn't supposed to get four Plinko chips, either.

They actually moved the Balance Game scales at the right speed today!

God, I hate that routine Drew has the Beauties do in Switch? now.

Drew's actions during the credits lead me to believe he knew this was going to be Rich's last show.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 04:40:59 PM »
That was my impression to steve. Even his calldown window, they showed him doing the whole calldown instead of whisking it away half way. 

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 04:46:57 PM »
Is this the first time that a first-run show has been aired in August? I'd be surprised.

Nice way for TPIR to come back after almost two months off. The first half was loaded with great wins.

Lucky Seven was pretty funny... the one time they go back to normal with the five at the end, and it's won. Take that, Fingers. :lol:

Yet another historic moment query... has Check Out ever been over after only four GPs? That was atrocious.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Brianna
SHOW GRADE: 3

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 04:58:14 PM »
Is this the first time that a first-run show has been aired in August? I'd be surprised.

New shows have been aired in August during Seasons 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, and 38.  In fact, Seasons 5-9 started in August.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 04:59:16 PM »
Drew's actions during the credits lead me to believe he knew this was going to be Rich's last show.

Rich said as much today on his Facebook page.. and still sounded quite bitter over the whole thing.

"Hey TPIR fans... watch my last "new" show today. It's our "Back to School" special that we held off on airing until now. Big hugs and show of support from Drew at the end (let's see if they edited all that out of the show). Enjoy!"
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 05:04:10 PM »
Today's opening reinforced why the intro moves way too quickly now. Shortly after Rich called down the fourth contestant, they cut to a shot of the third contestant moving down into the Row, and we don't see the fourth one until they start to pan across the Row!  Absolutely terrible.  They really need to go back to using not only the entire opening spiel, but waiting until the previous contestant is in the Row before moving on to the next one.

Drew, having a 0.5 GPA in college is not the kind of thing you want to brag about on national television...

Holy crap, Lucky $even was won! Holy crap, more than $20K was won in Plinko!

I wonder what Drew does with all of the t-shirts he is given...

How long has Balance Game's display been on the same stand as the bags?

...where in the world does a package of filler paper cost $4.64?!?

I was going to comment on this, too...the "don't run into each other!" bit was funny the first few times he did it, but  now that they're actually "running into each other" it's gotten old and completely unfunny. Just switch the prices and be done with it.

I have to ask...when is a college student going to find time to take a nine-day tour of Europe?

Yay extra face time for Rich at the end of the show (and even bigger yay for not editing it all out!) I will miss you, Rich.

OVERALL: 3/5. The first half of the show was decent, with some big wins...unfortunately, it went downhill from there...and man, it makes me miss school that much more.  But, overall, fairly decent show, and free of the usual waste-of-time antics that seem to plague most of the other "themed" shows.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 05:16:35 PM »
I wouldn't blame rich for being bitter.  It was really bogus they let him go.  He will be dearly missed. 

Offline elskunkoman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 05:35:21 PM »
Well not much to say about this one except for the wins:
Pushover - Nice job
Lucky Seven - that so wasn't meant to be won but was anyway miraculously just like the time with taylor on his 19th birthday
Plinko - Nice
Balance game - this shoulda been won
Check out - That was so evil we had a wipeout
Switch - This also shoulda been won too.
3 for 6 show i wonder what it'll be for 8/31.
pepe! It took us all summer to clean out all the skunk stink from seasons 36, 37, 38, 39, and 40!!!

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 05:44:10 PM »
Actually from what I have read on here, august 31st will just be a rerun and the may 20th eppy is being held back to september 15th.

Offline spoon14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Straight outta Medellin!
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 06:03:50 PM »
I don't think Drew makes them do anything. In my opinion, he just makes his running joke, and the models ad-lib to various degrees or play it straight depending on where they fall in the continuum of model humor. Lanisha is in to hamming it up, so we got a particularly demonstrative near crash this time. If Drew were making them do it, you'd see all the models do the same thing. If the switchers were Amber and Rachel I wouldn't expect to see the same things, because the models have their individual styles.

It's like Balance Game. Drew almost always jokes about the model carrying over the bag, but some models play it straight and some play along. Manuela going for the physical comedy in Balance Game was consistent with her style of modeling.

Gwen's more likely to fully embrace cheesy dancing during the closing credits. And so on. Personally, I like comedy in the modeling, and I like the Switch crashing schtick. But I also like the variety in the model's personalities, so I don't mind more restrained styles as well.

Mohammad seemed shocked when he didn't win the cell phone with his $50 bid. Seems he didn't pay attention to the calling plan part and doesn't watch the show.

I'm surprised that Drew didn't mention the anti-microbial feature of the pencils (like he was giving details like size for other Check-Out products). That's a pretty swanky feature for a box of pencils, so emphasizing that might have led the contestant to price it higher.

Drew, having a 0.5 GPA in college is not the kind of thing you want to brag about on national television...
It sounded like self-effacing humor, not bragging, to me.

Offline sjd93

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 06:44:24 PM »
This was actually a decent show... nothing about it felt stupid, and Drew was, for the most part, pretty good.

Lucky $even and Plinko... both amazing. Wow. I really was not expecting either of those to be won - especially in Plinko, the contestant was really not meant to get that many chips.

The theme was subtle, but it was there. It was mainly just offering prizes a little more suited to students - that was fine. At least we didn't get any designer crap.

Check Out was hard... but it was for a car, so I don't mind it being set-up that way when a car is at stake. I'm usually the first to call out Kathy on a really hard setup, but that setup was no harder than the setups Roger created when the game was played for a car.

Drew's schtick in Switch - yeah, it's a little annoying, but it doesn't bug me too much. It may not be as clever, but when you get down to it, it's the same sort of thing as Bob's Range Game "37 hours" joke.

The showcases were pretty good, and yay, only one trip in the showcase!

A couple of random thoughts at the end here:
-I liked that backdrop used on the plasma screen for the Europe trip in Showcase 2. It reminded me of when they used to use a variant of the old Barker wall in two-prize games.
-Stan really used crappy cues today - way too much guitar-based stuff.

But overall, a good show.
I find it ironic how the show tries to mix up the prizes and offer "cool" things like over-stuffed trips and impossible to price items to make the show less "predictable." Yet, the same things happen every single time a show airs.

-temptation1979ga

Offline JoePlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 06:45:31 PM »
I was going to comment on this, too...the "don't run into each other!" bit was funny the first few times he did it, but  now that they're actually "running into each other" it's gotten old and completely unfunny. Just switch the prices and be done with it.

No different than the 37 hours gag.  They're both stupid and stale.

The extended credits on CBS.com were really fun and a nice little sendoff for Rich.  They all totally knew that show was it.
"If we want the show to stay on, you have to support the show.  How can we lose an American classic?"  - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 06:47:29 PM »
Boy, that was some expensive paper in Check-Out today. And I was expecting a "6" or a "4" at the end of the price in Lucky $even the way the numbers were set up.

I'll miss Rich as well.  :-(

Offline katrinka_ohio

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 06:49:58 PM »

Quote from: cu2010 on Today at 04:04:10 PM
Quote:spoon14
It sounded like self-effacing humor, not bragging, to me.

I agree with spoon.  Drew is very self-effacing most of the time.
Go fellow Buckeye Drew!