Author Topic: The Price is Right - 08/27/10  (Read 52256 times)

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The Price is Right - 08/27/10
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2010, 01:11:23 AM »
I noticed a certain executive producer conspicuously missing from that whole... :lol:

Fine, it was cool seeing MOST. Happy? :P
Signatures are overrated.

Offline chad1m

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2010, 01:13:32 AM »
I enjoyed the show as a whole today. Even the losses didn’t bother me so much as the general vibe was good and fun.
Anyone else think the 15” LCD looked kind of… I dunno, squished and cheap?

Lucky $even wasn't supposed to be won, either...which made the fact that it was won all that much sweeter.
The way I saw it, the “5” at the end was almost a reward for getting past the first three unusual numbers.

The next contestant wasn't supposed to get four Plinko chips, either.
I dunno, those didn’t seem so bad. I think I would’ve gotten four, too.

I have to ask...when is a college student going to find time to take a nine-day tour of Europe?
Well, I'm about to finish a four-month-plus summer vacation...

Just switch the prices and be done with it.
I feel like it adds just a tad bit more to an otherwise pedestrian game. I don't mind it.

Mohammad seemed shocked when he didn't win the cell phone with his $50 bid.
Minus missing the XBox package by about ten bucks, he didn't seem on the ball throughout much of the show. Even if he was just bidding on the phone, what high-end cell phone goes for fifty dollars?

I really don't think they should have groceries for a year in games
I figured that the prices shouldn't be switch because the gym ended in a "standard" digit (the 5) and the groceries ended in a digit you're more likely to end up with when creating an average.

Good work, team. Looking forward to the 20th.

Offline crazypackersfan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • There... are... four... lights!
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2010, 02:00:52 AM »
The highlight of the show was Rich's send-off and Drew Carey's son's breakdancing. Lots of fun in Plinko and Lucky $even too, but obviously that wasn't what I watched this show for. Amazing Drew was still calling him "the best announcer in the world" even in this episode. Rich may not have been perfect, but he was good. And I get the feeling that a lot of people will be really missing him once the new comedy act begins.

"Groceries for a year" is about the most random thing they could come up with. "Based on a national survey of the average person"...  there's no way you can narrow that down. Is it enough groceries to keep you alive, or enough to keep you comfortable, or even more than enough groceries, if the average person buys more groceries than they consume? That would be a nice prize to give out for Grocery Game or Check-Out, but I don't like it in that scenario. I know, I know, it's still a 50/50 shot, and if you know the price of the home gym, it doesn't matter. Regardless, that was the wrong place to put that prize.

So long, Rich Fields, and cue R.E.M.

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2010, 06:00:04 AM »
If possible, would somebody be able to take the full credit roll from CBS.com and put it on YouTube.  I can't see it because I like in Canada.

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2010, 11:05:35 AM »
That was a nice sendoff for rich.  I teared up a little bit. Mike richards and price have made a terrible mistake in getting rid of rich. 

Offline Kirsten Vaccaro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Me On February 27, 2016
    • It's My Facebook Page.
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2010, 12:19:09 PM »
It was so sad to see Rich Fields last show yesterday i'm happy He and Drew will remain good friends.
A Big Rich Fields Drew Carey And Jeff Davis Fan For Ever From Kirsten

Rich Fields Thanks Kirsten. I pick out and supply all of my own clothing. That light gray suit is hard to pair with shirts and ties... but I think the lavender shirt and purple patterned tie pulled it all together.

My Favorite Announcers On The Price Is Right Are Johnny Olson Rod Roddy Rich Fields Jeff Davis.

I Met And Took Two Pictures With Jeff Davis On May 24, 2012 He Is So Nice And Kind In Person.

Rich Fields said this about Drew Carey will always be the first to defend Drew (Carey). He's one of the most genuine, down to earth people in Hollywood that I've ever met. He was the first to come to me and tell me that the show was going in a different direction. He assured me it was not his decision to let me go and I believe him. No one else was open and honest about it, but Drew was. We've continued working together on different projects and we stay in regular touch. We'll be good friends well into the future.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2010, 12:30:27 PM »
I dunno, those didn’t seem so bad. I think I would’ve gotten four [Plinko chips], too.

Chad, any Plinko chip whose fake ends with a 5 or 0 that's wrong isn't supposed to be won.

Now, if you'd have gotten them, more power to you...but they were still supposed to be missed.

And I get the feeling that a lot of people will be really missing him once the new comedy act begins.

I may wind up missing Rod Roddy more than I already do, but I feel pretty safe saying I won't miss Rich.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 12:33:18 PM by SteveGavazzi »
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2010, 12:37:42 PM »
Well remember, even though it wasn't his "official" last show, we still have one more first run with rich on september 15 with the holdover may 20th eppy.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2010, 12:50:57 PM »
"Groceries for a year" is about the most random thing they could come up with. "Based on a national survey of the average person"...  there's no way you can narrow that down.

Nonsense. The USDA puts out a publication every year that details the national average for groceries for an individual, all the way up to a family of four, with prices for four different spending categories ("thrifty" through "liberal"). Additionally, they break the averages down by days, weeks, and months. This is pretty easy to find if you google "national average for groceries".

If one has seen this prize on the show over and over again (it's been a prize at least 3 times this year), they could easily do what I just did to look up the price of said prize.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 12:52:59 PM by mrbrown2195 »
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline spoon14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Straight outta Medellin!
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2010, 01:11:27 PM »
I have to ask...when is a college student going to find time to take a nine-day tour of Europe?
As others have noted, college students have plenty of break time to travel. My sister, who had never been out of the country prior to college, when to Mexico, Nicaragua, France, and Germany on different trips during her college breaks. There are specific travel companies who cater specifically to the college and 20-something market. They have tour packages that sound a lot like what was offered in the Showcase (i.e. spend a 1 to 4 days in a country than move on to another country). Some of the travel packages are much longer than 9 days. Some of them last several weeks. I think in a brochure the longest trip I saw was 45 days. And again, these are companies that specifically market to college students and recent graduates. So the trip made a lot of sense.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2010, 01:53:12 PM »
You know, somehow I knew I'd get called out on that "when are college students going to find the time to take a  nine-day tour of Europe?" comment...the only real time off we had for trips like that was between semesters, as our breaks during the actual school term were not long enough for such trips (except perhaps spring break, but that'd be pushing it)...

Which begs the question...how long do contestants have to take the trips they win?

Regarding the groceries in Switch?, I actually found them easy. The price of them just looked too wrong to be the price of the home gym, so it was easy to deduce from there.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2010, 05:47:51 PM »
New shows have been aired in August during Seasons 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, and 38.  In fact, Seasons 5-9 started in August.

Three of the six 1986 primetime specials aired in August, 8/14, 8/21, and 8/28.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2010, 06:35:54 PM »
And none of them were daytime shows, which is what I assume the original question was about.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2010, 06:47:19 PM »
Being that Kitch has been offline for the past couple of days, and because I was bored and wanted to see if I could do it, I wrote a recap for the show, which can be found here. (Four straight hours of coding, with nothing but a reference book and a Notepad window...yuck! I see what people who do this full-time go though...it's not fun) It's very rough (with some broken code thanks to Google hating it- the original code works), and there's no pretty colors, but it works.

(Army or whoever- if you'd like to post it on the first post of the thread, I have the original code which I can send to you via PM if you'd like (Google Sites doesn't like my CSS for some strange reason, and when you go to view the source code it's just a messy mess- if you want to post it to the thread, you'll want the original code- I can easily send it to you, no problem)- just let me know. (I no longer have access to my personal University webspace since I'm no longer there...otherwise I'd have just posted it there).

I just noticed this while re-watching the show...anyone notice how the TV during the credits had the Europe trip displayed on it despite the fact that Tonie didn't actually win it?
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2010, 09:42:51 PM »
Is Cover Up suppose to be Pushover?  It looks more like a Pushover setup--and there already is a car game in the first half.