Author Topic: "Other/Secret" reasons why Bob may be retiring  (Read 4821 times)

Offline BonusShell

• In Contestant's Row
"Other/Secret" reasons why Bob may be retiring
« on: November 04, 2006, 06:31:40 AM »
We have already been given the reasons why Bob has decided to retire. However, are there some of you (like myself) who think there may be other reasons why Bob is retiring? I think there may be two other factors not being mentioned that may have led to this decision.

First, Freemantle may have "forced" Bob to retire so that they could aim for a younger audience with a younger host. Or, similarly, Freemantle may have forced Bob to retire because they felt it would be more difficult for TPIR if Bob died while he was still host (as opposed to having Bob leave TPIR while he is still alive). Regarding these speculations, I personally feel that such factors did not lead to Bob's retirement, since I believe that CBS and Freemantle were still 100% satisified with Bob and (for their own selfish reasons) wished he could have continued to host until he died.

Secondly, I suspect that Bob's health may have caused him to retire. Specifically, Bob may very well be suffering from a fatal illness or condition, and his doctors advised him to quit because he won't live much longer. Regarding this speculation, I feel that it is indeed the case: in other words, I believe that severly deteriorating health was the reason he decided to retire. And, quite frankly, I am extremely concerned about Bob's health, and concerned over how much longer he will live.

Honestly, I do not believe that Barker is the type of person who wants to retire because he is just "getting too old." If that was the case, he would have retired many years ago. Instead, some event beyond his control is forcing him to step down from a job that means everything to him.

Do you accept the reasons given for Barker's retirement at face value? Or, do you believe that some other factor--like pressure from Freemantle or rapidly deteriorating health--caused Bob to retire?

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
Re: "Other/Secret" reasons why Bob may be retiring
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 07:00:45 AM »

BonusShell wrote:
We have already been given the reasons why Bob has decided to retire.

:idea:
John

Offline The Big Wheel

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 07:26:00 AM »
BonusShell, we'll get more information as time goes by as to why Bob has decided to retire.  We haven't been given any official word, and Marc himself said he would pass along more information as it becomes available.

And while I'm not saying that anything you said above is true or false, I can't seem to not believe most of your idea is mere speculation.
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!

Offline BonusShell

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 07:32:17 AM »
Yes, this thread is merely speculation: I would like you folks to speculate as to any other reasons why Bob is retiring aside from the "official" reasons given to us.

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 07:34:37 AM »

BonusShell wrote:
Yes, this thread is merely speculation: I would like you folks to speculate as to any other reasons why Bob is retiring aside from the "official" reasons given to us.

That is obsurd.  It would be a disrespect to Bob and to everyone who reads our site to allow speculation of something like this.

As my first reply stated, we already know the reason Bob is retiring.

What do you want to do when you're 83?

LOCKED.
John