Author Topic: Giving The Show Another Chance  (Read 956 times)

Online TPIRFan1995

• In the Audience
Giving The Show Another Chance
« on: May 11, 2024, 07:16:46 PM »
A thought occurred to me and I've been thinking about it ever since the article with Drew saying that he could possibly host TPIR for the rest of his life. You know how some people stopped watching after Roger was terminated or the mess of a season that was 37? Call me an optomist and the king of positivity and wishful thinking, but now that Drew is out of that going through the motions phase, Mike Richards is gone, the show has become stable and because of Drew's having 17 seasons under his belt, would those people give the show another chance to warm them over? Speaking for myself only, I've never chosen to stop watching the show. If they somehow turn in on and after the hour still don't approve of what they see, they're more than welcome to stick with 35 years worth of memories with Bob.

Offline illustriousrocket

• Outside in Line
Re: Giving The Show Another Chance
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2024, 08:39:13 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something but I really don't understand what this is supposed to accomplish.

If someone stopped watching back then and just isn't interested in resuming, what do they say to this? Their reasoning why? What's the point when neither side will move?

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2024, 01:29:48 PM »
Effectively no one outside a board like this stopped watching a show over an executive producer leaving. And if they held a grudge this long, that’s a flaw with them.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2024, 05:29:09 PM »
I'm curious as to who is really going to give an answer to this question as pretty much everyone who disliked the changes of the post-Barker era have long since left this forum.

But as one who still checks in periodically, I recently checked out the opening and first pricing game (It's in the Bag) from a current-season episode.  I don't remember the last time I checked out even part of a Carey episode, but it's been several years.

My gosh, do they have time for anything anymore?  One of my biggest disappointments was when the stopped shooting live-to-tape, and that doesn't fail to keep disappointing.  The number of edits I noticed in a single segment is ridiculous.  The flow is so choppy with the constant shots of the audience to cover up stitching together pieces.  The GP plugs were nothing but "a (size) of (thing)".  Not one product was sponsored, and if they're not going to do the unsponsored plugs that at least mention some facts about the product aside from the amount in the packaging, then why bother?

Multiple people have commented lately how friendly George Gray is with the audience members, and I can attest from having visited the show in the Television City days that he is really good at interacting with the audience and even talking directly to you during the breaks if you happen to be seated near his podium (which I was on one occasion).  That doesn't change the fact I can't stand him as The Price Is Right announcer.  As one member here once put it here, he plays the stereotype of a game show announcer; and that's not something about which to brag.

As for Drew, at least after seventeen years, it seems he's finally starting giving a darn.  In the segment I saw, he did actually make some interaction with the contestant (a lawyer, which Drew joked they wouldn't hold against him.  I chucked a bit, even if that's a "low-hanging fruit" type of joke), but he still doesn't build suspense properly.  I was waiting for him to pause and tease before pushing the buttons on the reveal, but he would be back talking with the contestant and then just go up and hit them at all speed without saying anything at that moment.

So, the above is about as much "giving the show another chance" that I'll give.  While I haven't warmed to Drew Carey as host of The Price Is Right, he's not the biggest problem with the show anymore.  That would be CBS cutting away so much time from the show that it's become far too rushed to be enjoyed.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Online Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 09:17:36 PM »
I never got the impression Drew wasn't "giving a darn", at least after Season 37. IMO, if he didn't care about the show, he would've bailed after a few seasons to take another opportunity like doing a new sitcom or panel show. I also respectfully disagree about George. Always found him great in his role.

I agree that the show should still be done live to tape. I don't understand why it's not done like that anymore, but I'm sure someone on the staff has given an explanation.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:26:29 PM by Trevor Tuominen »
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Online TPIRFan1995

• In the Audience
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 11:12:23 PM »
To me, Drew's always acted like he's gave a darn since he darn since he first started on Price. Of course, my opinion might be biased since I've been a Drew fan beginning at the age of 5. On Whose Line, he had great interaction with the entire ensemble of men and Kathy Greenwood, the audiences, guest performers like Whoopi, Robin, and Richard Simmons, and the audience members who came up for Three Headed Broadway Star and Sound Effects. He then took it to Power Of Ten especially on the series premiere when Jamie won the million. The interaction and humor have been a staple of Drew and for 17 years now, he's used it with Rich, the guest announcers including Brad and Jeff, George, all of the models and the thousands of contestants playing pricing games onstage next to him. Trust me, if Drew's heart and soul wasn't into it, he would have left the show at the end of his 5 year contract and would have went to work on another sitcom or continued hosting new Whose Line episodes.

Offline sayingsorry

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: Today at 10:12:18 AM »
Maybe I'm missing something but I really don't understand what this is supposed to accomplish.

If someone stopped watching back then and just isn't interested in resuming, what do they say to this? Their reasoning why? What's the point when neither side will move?

Yeah, I second this. I think Drew has gotten 150% better than he was 17 years ago, I think the show is currently the best it has ever been with him as host. Going to a taping a few months ago was lightyears better than 2010, but as Nick put perfectly, he is a purist who did not like anything from the Drew era, so why would he change now?

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: Today at 10:46:38 AM »
as Nick put perfectly, he is a purist who did not like anything from the Drew era, so why would he change now?

Except I said no such thing (and would never have visited four tapings with Drew as host if that were the truth).  Believe me, I had high, high hopes for what the show could become post-Barker.  I'm disappointed that many of those hopes were dashed.

There have been several things that have happened post-Barker that I've been quite happy to see (e.g., the announcer being on camera, the models finally becoming practically permanent cast members again).  They've also been far more open about acknowledging the history of the show in ways that do not specifically include Bob Barker (e.g., "milestone" pricing game playings, mentioning retired games, etc.).  I would say, though, that it seems every time they try something, they always take it too far (e.g., the announcer being on camera is nice, but the obligatory greeting of him and his shoutout to his mother every episode is a bit much).  There's a perception that they need to "do" things to keep the show engaging (e.g., themed episodes) when the formula for Price's success was largely in part due to its stability and familiarity. 

As I've said, the biggest issue with the show now is that it's too rushed because CBS has cut too much time away from it for even more advertisements.

As for Drew sticking with the show, Drew is paid an enormous sum of money for a light work schedule.  It's a gig to keep for as long as you can if you're lucky enough to get it, and he has been one of the lucky ones.  What surprises me is how he hasn't used his exposure at Price to launch another sitcom or do comedy tours all those weeks of the year the show isn't taping, something that would seem to me far more in line with his interests and abilities.

From CBS's perspective, they have a working formula for Price to turn a profit with the host they have in the dying medium that is broadcast television.  As long as it continues to work, they'll keep him.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Online Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #8 on: Today at 11:20:24 AM »
Believe me, I had high, high hopes for what the show could become post-Barker.  I'm disappointed that many of those hopes were dashed.
If it's any consolation, I feel the same way about Jeopardy! post-Trebek. I thought Mike Richards would do well and look what happened. I thought Michael Davies would do well and look what happened. I might not have the best judgment of character, it seems.

What surprises me is how he hasn't used his exposure at Price to launch another sitcom or do comedy tours all those weeks of the year the show isn't taping, something that would seem to me far more in line with his interests and abilities.
He did host Drew Carey's Improv-a-Ganza on GSN in 2011. Didn't last too long though.
« Last Edit: Today at 11:27:58 AM by Trevor Tuominen »
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Online TPIRFan1995

• In the Audience
« Reply #9 on: Today at 11:37:40 AM »
What's wrong with George giving his mom an at the most 10 second shoutout once a day (sometimes twice a day if there's a primetime show the same night) for a decade?

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #10 on: Today at 12:11:11 PM »
What surprises me is how he hasn't used his exposure at Price to launch another sitcom or do comedy tours all those weeks of the year the show isn't taping, something that would seem to me far more in line with his interests and abilities.

I get the impression he doesn’t want to do any of that and just wants to enjoy life. Dude is in his mid-60s. He occasionally does comedy shows (he was here in Springfield a few years ago for one night only), but he talked a lot about going to music festivals, including EDC, when I was at tapings last month, and hobbies.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.