Author Topic: Here you go  (Read 42096 times)

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
Re: Here you go
« Reply #135 on: November 09, 2006, 02:54:37 PM »
Nick wrote:
When 3 Strikes gets played for a six-digit car (Hey, it is possible).

Actually, it's not, without some rewiring.

(Fun fact time!)

Since the Golden Gallery is down, I can't provide the picture, but the 3 Strikes board is controlled by an old box with five buttons on it (one button per number). The lit-up dollar sign is lit up when they plug the game in -- it's not controlled by the box. Since they'd have to light up the first digit before the contestant started playing (and what's the fun in that?), they couldn't play 3 Strikes for a six-digit car.

This also answers the question of why the dollar sign doesn't blink with the price when the car is won -- because it's separate from the control box, it's not wired to blink.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #136 on: November 09, 2006, 04:21:45 PM »
Actully guys, this game really was confusing to many viewers. I've tried to explain to several co-workers during playings of Hit Me how the game was played. Not a one of them understood it at all!
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #137 on: November 09, 2006, 04:24:08 PM »
Here's the rule explaination change to Hit Me:

"Pick the product that ends in zero.  Then pick the product that is the right price.  Questions?"
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2006, 04:36:27 PM »
Wha? Im just kidding. I still find it somewhat confusing. If I pick a product that I think is x10, I get a ten. If I pick one that is right, I get an ace. I guess it can be easy for people who know their grocery product prices.

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #139 on: November 09, 2006, 04:39:59 PM »

tpirfan28 wrote:

"Pick the product that ends in zero.  Then pick the product that is the right price.  Questions?"

Quite a few times a few items ended in zero, namely .55 cookies (x2) at $1.10 so that information isn't very good.
John

Offline wvudegenerate

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #140 on: November 09, 2006, 04:49:29 PM »
Good point John, there were times of more than 1 product ending in zero but also it is a common sense thing when was the last time cookies were 11 cents on the price is right?

Offline Ferdy9338

• In the Audience
« Reply #141 on: November 09, 2006, 06:13:36 PM »
*sigh* too bad, I just got the hang of the game. For years I would just go...duhhhhh when it came on, finally I started paying serious attention this year. I had to get the hang of playing cards first.

I saw one of it's last playings (third to last I think) and I quickly went "ok, pick this, this and that..." and I think the game was won. I was in NY on 10/13 but I believe I have that last playing recorded.

In Memoriam - HIT ME 1980 - 2006. It had a great run, though. It premiered 3 days after I turned 1. I hope the prop finds a good home, and not the dumpster.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #142 on: November 09, 2006, 06:13:53 PM »
Yes, but what if the contestant thinks the cookies actually ARE $1.10? That's not entirely unreasonable.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #143 on: November 09, 2006, 07:03:41 PM »
It was the first game (and almost only)that made me start using the fast forward button on my VCR.
John, Rod, Rich... What is the next name on your list?

Offline OldPrice75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #144 on: November 09, 2006, 08:11:27 PM »

tpirfan28 wrote:

"Pick the product that ends in zero. Then pick the product that is the right price. Questions?"

That's not the rules to the game; that's the strategy.  Same thing with trying to get prices with 9s in Poker Game.  

I can't see how people can't (mostly) get this game.

Offline crazypackersfan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • There... are... four... lights!
« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2006, 04:15:42 PM »
Hit Me's retirement comes as sort of a shock to me; it just seemed like it had been around too long to be retired. Nevertheless, I understand why it was retired. It was a pretty good game, and I'll miss it, but I think the right decision was made to retire this game because of the confusion.

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #146 on: November 12, 2006, 06:18:18 PM »
It was the first game (and almost only)that made me start using the fast forward button on my VCR.

Dude, that made sense(NOT!)

I figured somebody would have done the honors by now, but I guess I'll be the one. A youtube of Hit Me.

Offline gregrob

• In the Audience
Erased
« Reply #147 on: November 17, 2006, 09:01:41 AM »
Erased

Offline Train

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #148 on: November 17, 2006, 02:25:18 PM »
I still can't believe the Hit Me was retired after all these years.  I mean, if you can play blackjack, you can play Hit Me.  

I know there are contestants unsure of what product to pick.  Then again, you can't choose what car you get playing real blackjack.

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #149 on: November 17, 2006, 04:08:07 PM »
For a contestant to do well in Hit Me they have to know how to play blackjack and also be a good shopper. And watch TPIR everyday because the same items appear more than once and you have to know what the price is of that item. The more you see it the more confident you are that you win in Hit Me. I just wish this game was given another chance.