Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 9/20/2010 Early Show (Season 39 Premiere)  (Read 47123 times)

Offline elskunkoman

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 9/20/2010 Early Show (Season 39 Premiere)
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2010, 07:02:36 PM »
It's too bad that bradley wasn't smart enough to win squeeze play.
pepe! It took us all summer to clean out all the skunk stink from seasons 36, 37, 38, 39, and 40!!!

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 07:12:04 PM »
The light border really took me back.

I loved Pay the Rent's reveal. As for the game. . .

Call me time warped crazy, but I think that Any Number should be played every season premiere. I can't believe they didn't play it at all on both shows. I mean it is probably coming this week of course (10 shows, a number of pricing game combos), but I think it deserves its rightful place.

The show was alright, afternoon was better. JD was -__- He wasn't out right terrible, but man. What showcases what pizazz! I can't believe people still heavily underbid on the showcase with the Porsche in it.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline nowhammies11

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The blood of angry men, the dark of ages past
    • The Whammy's Blog
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2010, 07:12:27 PM »
After having checked AGAIN, and from Kitch and TheBigAK, my first edit was wrong.  Kitch, if you would please remove the bold italic portion from my OP, thanks.
YOU CAN NEVER STOP :clipboard:

Offline 444dd

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HYO #7 will be in a few months
    • My Youtube
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2010, 07:16:55 PM »
Pay the Rent was Great love J.D's intro for the game.  I wonder when they will play it again?
That wasn't a showcase, that was an infomercial.

Offline saturn93

• In the Audience
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2010, 07:18:51 PM »
Right now, I am watching the late episode.  However, I have a few thoughts about the season premiere.

1) J.D. Roberto - I remember him hosting American Idol extra a couple of years ago.  He wasn't bad, but after several years with Rich, it did sound strange.  Of course, there's the other two that we have to look out for.

2) Pay the Rent - Interesting, but a little confusing.  I should have stayed with the $10,000.

3) Models talking - I know that it was mentioned before, but because of the suddenness, I bet some of you took a spit-take at this.  It will take some time to get used to it, but the only issue is who, what was said, and when.  As long as it is limited, it will not be a problem.

4) Drew himself - Looks good.  Also will take a bit of time getting used to thin Drew instead of fat Drew.

5) That's all I need, to have my dinner on a crane over Las Vegas.  IMO, no thanks.

6) The winner license plates...you think running to the car is obvious enough...now they have this???   :roll:

« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:25:18 PM by saturn93 »

Offline Macsen

• The mythical, elusive S39-S40 Recap Guide
    • Twitch streaming
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 07:32:54 PM »
I give J.D. Roberto a pass for his weak early show. He's new to this, and he did sound much more lively in the late show. There is going to be some up and down in announcing quality, I'm certain, but as long as there's upward progression I'm not going to get myself worked up. And also there's the other two announcers to consider.
"Kitch? Yes, that is what they used to call me..."

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2010, 07:52:03 PM »
All in all, very good.    I especially like the new graphics.     One has to appreciate how Drew poked fun at the "Look of the Week... For the Fall Season."  

My very own personal opinion is that JD did very well.   His voice is different, but he does what is supposed to be done - read the copy.   So many times Rich didn't just read the darn copy... he tried to REAAAD the DAAARN COOOOPYYYYY, and that was distracting.     There is still room for improvement... but I think they're  headed in the right direction.  

Pay the Rent seems to me to be just another game.   For this type of prize, I would have expected a much more identifiable gameplay.    I think it would be easier to win if they allowed the contestant to work top-down instead of bottom-up.  That is probably part of the design, however.

What was up with the small dollar sign on the floor?  

« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 08:02:42 PM by Season36Fan »
Let's all take a deep breath.
Wise words.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2010, 08:00:04 PM »
What was up with the small dollar sign on the floor? 

My guess is that it's just a mark to let Drew (and the contestant) know where to stand... you wouldn't want to get hit by the $100,000 sign, would you?!

Granted, they could use a simple black piece of tape. However, somebody might've thought it looked bad -- a piece of tape out in the middle of a white stage often does.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2010, 08:14:55 PM »
Granted, they could use a simple black piece of tape. However, somebody might've thought it looked bad -- a piece of tape out in the middle of a white stage often does.

Hence, why when the show went HD in season 37, all the little pieces of tape and marks on the floor were removed.

Offline PaladinTornado

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2010, 08:15:51 PM »
Overall a decent season premiere.  Miles ahead of last year's, that's for sure, but nowhere close to Seasons 34 and 35!

Like many of you, I also like the new light border.  The gold color was definitely missed.

Pay the Rent is OK.  The reveal is pretty cool, but the gameplay needs tweaking.

I didn't mind JD Roberto too much.  I hope he doesn't get the job, but he is OK for now.  I am very curious to see/hear the other two.

Also, did anyone else notice this: there was a lady shown on-camera right before Vonice came up on stage (one of her group I assume) who was wearing an "I <3 Rich Fields" T-shirt?  I thought that was interesting  :roll:

Here's to a good season with more winners than last year!

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2010, 08:33:45 PM »
As I mentioned in my taping report, I was ONE DAY short of being in the audience for this one. Some of the people I talked to in line for the show that will now air on Friday at 2:00 were in the audience for this one, though, and they said that they had a good time.

I guess we were just conditioned by the Roger years to expect the season premieres to be almost like primetime specials as far as giveaways go. Aside from Pay the Rent and the showcases, the games were just average fare.

Pay the Rent seems all right. Might need a little tweaking, though. My guess is that they'll only trot it out a few more times this season, much like Triple Play was when it debuted. I doubt we'll be seeing it on any regular basis.

Lucky $even was begging to be won today, it seems. I can't remember the last time the numbers were all so close to five.

Also, did anyone else notice this: there was a lady shown on-camera right before Vonice came up on stage (one of her group I assume) who was wearing an "I <3 Rich Fields" T-shirt?  I thought that was interesting  :roll:

As I mentioned in my taping report also, a LOT of people had no idea that Rich was let go. They only found out about it when I told them. There were people at my show as well with Rich shirts on and the reception to that news was...less than positive...

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2010, 08:58:57 PM »
I have to say i really liked the reveal of pay the rent. i felt it was very glitzy with the big sign and dimmed lights and perfectly suitable for a game offering 100k and made it feel like a game show and not so cheesy as it has been at times. on that note however i dont think the top prize should be 100k, especially with that big leap from 10k to 100k. i was worried that multiple people would win this and i feel that winning the game alone and winning more than 100k in a pricing game is a bit much, considering in daytime episodes there have only been two people to win more than 100k in prizes. i do like how this game involves serious thinking, not just ordering the products least to most expensive.

JD sounds a bit animated at the moment but then again im used to hearing rich announce.

Drew looked really good. i almost didnt believe it when i saw a pic of him a few weeks ago, almost looked like someone photoshopped it

It was disappointing to see Esther lose lucky seven, however it was good to see the price wasnt something with back to back 1s and 9s

Push Over was actually exciting to watch, perhaps due to how big the trip seemed

For some reason the fortune hunter music makes multi prize games seem more hyped up as opposed to just a grill, motorbike and a bathtub. i know that probably doesnt make sense

money game didnt seem to fit in with a season premiere but luckily we had a contestant who knew about el cheapo

I dont think squeeze play couldve been won easily, 9770 didnt look right

those showcases were loaded. the script for the first one wasnt right at all. saying theyve never offered a mustang is like saying theyve never given away money.

overall good to see new episodes again. heres to a prosperous season full of winning! :)

Offline jwatson2973

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2010, 09:04:14 PM »
It was a great season premiere and Drew looks like a different man since losing weight.

Pay the Rent: This game looks okay, but the rules were confusing.

Lucky $even: That third number hurt her.

Push Over: Easy win there.

Most Expensive: I thought it would've been the tub, but I, too would've been wrong.

Money Game: Another good win.

Squeeze Play: I knew it was $9,770

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2010, 10:06:47 PM »
I like the new light border.  As said, it is a nice throwback to the classic one. 

The intro to Pay the Rent was really cool.  It really reminded me of the intro to Big Jon's original game Tower of Cash.  As for the game, it's fun because of the set and the strategy involved.

JD Roberto wasn't bad, but his side comments weren't necessary and he went a little fast at times. 

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2010, 11:05:48 PM »
The new light border looks tacky.  Pay the Rent is ok at best.  JD sounds like he has a head cold.  The new opening graphics are pretty neat.  This season so far is a really mixed bag for me.

The actual retail price is...