Author Topic: How Bob Would've Handled Gas Money, Rat Race and Pay the Rent  (Read 10863 times)

Offline Samhodkin

• In the Audience
Re: How Bob Would've Handled Gas Money, Rat Race and Pay the Rent
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2010, 08:47:45 AM »
Personal opinion, Bob would probably handle Gas Money to perfection with his unique way of building up tension. The other two, just wouldn't work.

Offline neilrocks87

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2010, 02:49:43 PM »
Ya know, ya gotta wonder if any of the pricing games woulda ever been referbished or the set woulda been updated if Mr. Barker was still around.

^I know for sure the latter of the two wouldn't of happened.

Wonder if Roger would still be employed??

Offline TPIRfan2010

• Outside in Line
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2010, 01:12:05 PM »
When Bob did that, he wanted people to get annoyed with him.

When I write a script like the ones from last night, I...don't want that.

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2010, 01:13:37 PM »
@TPIRfan2010:  I quoted your post just to make sure, but is there supposed to be something there other than a repeat of Steve's post?
Bazinga!

Offline TPIRfan2010

• Outside in Line
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2010, 01:15:13 PM »
Barker would never annoy contestants in such a way, Steve.  You just don't completely understand his hosting style.  He wanted to bring up the action and the drama.  It's like what Howie Mandel would say on his show before a commercial break: "Open the case.......WHEN WE COME BACK!"  Same thing goes with Jeff Foxworthy: "Take a look at the board.  Your classmate's answer is......COMING UP RIGHT AFTER THIS!"

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2010, 01:17:55 PM »
You just don't completely understand [Bob's] hosting style.

Steve's going to blow a gasket when he sees that...
Bazinga!

Offline TPIRfan2010

• Outside in Line
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2010, 01:20:27 PM »
@brtsimpson142: I really don't have any explanation on that, but I just screwed up or I don't know what all.  How could you have posted before I even re-posted? Then again, just relax and let it go.

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2010, 01:22:52 PM »
Also, the rats would be changed to cars or maybe even little track runners similar to Hurdles.

Which I read somewhere (maybe in Steve's work?) was retired at least partially because some viewers objected to the starter's pistol, even though it was a toy gun and of course, it wasn't fired at anybody. You really can't win with anything with the remote possibility of being controversial even if its intentions were perfectly innocent (see Shower Game for an example).

John

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2010, 02:04:04 PM »
Which I read somewhere (maybe in Steve's work?) was retired at least partially because some viewers objected to the starter's pistol, even though it was a toy gun and of course, it wasn't fired at anybody.

FWIW, the FAQ sites the game's frequent technical problems as the cause of its retirement.

...Although it mustn't have been very well liked, seeing as many other games that were once mechanically controlled just started being done by hand, and this game was never given that chance. I, for one, wasn't really a fan.

Offline pricefan1991

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2010, 02:06:06 PM »
FWIW, the FAQ sites the game's frequent technical problems as the cause of its retirement.

...Although it mustn't have been very well liked, seeing as many other games that were once mechanically controlled just started being done by hand, and this game was never given that chance. I, for one, wasn't really a fan.
I couldn't imagine Hurdles being done by hand. I think there'd need to be 3 or 4 stagehands operating it...

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2010, 03:00:47 PM »
I couldn't imagine Hurdles being done by hand. I think there'd need to be 3 or 4 stagehands operating it...

Uh, pretty sure they could do it with 2. One to move the runner, and one to move the hurdles.

Offline TPIRViewer

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2010, 06:14:48 PM »
Barker would never annoy contestants in such a way, Steve.  You just don't completely understand his hosting style.

Steve Gavazzi knows and understands more about every aspect of The Price is Right than 99% of the people here. I promise you that.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 06:24:28 PM by TpirViewer »

Offline coulsonc

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2010, 11:22:41 PM »
Bob would have had a field day with Gas Money as it is a perfect pricing game. If he were still host, it would be played much more often and, by now, would be well on its way to being a classic game.

No way no how would Rat Race or Pay the Rent have been introduced under his watch. Rat Race is too tacky, and Pay the Rent... well... the problems have been discussed ad nauseam.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2010, 11:37:42 PM »
Barker would never annoy contestants in such a way, Steve.  You just don't completely understand his hosting style.  He wanted to bring up the action and the drama.

Getting people frustrated was how he built up the drama.  By the time he finally did the reveal, he had you ready to bite his head off if he stalled one more time -- which was exactly where he wanted you.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline TPIRfan2010

• Outside in Line
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2010, 10:50:02 AM »
I actually agree with you on that one, Steve, but I would like to see Drew do almost the same kind of thing.