Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 05/16/2006  (Read 18066 times)

Offline pathfinder2119

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Me immortalized as a South Park character
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 05/16/2006
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 06:31:50 PM »
Today's show was pretty good.

To be quite honest about it, the second IUFB was just sad.

There were several possible choices for Push Over, but Joel (and I) picked the correct one!

Hi Lo has really been easier in its last couple of playings. While it's nice that the game is becoming more winnable, it's kind of becoming too easy.

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2006, 08:44:42 PM »
Show #6383

Showcase #1
Bulova Gold/Diamond Ladies' Watch - $1,025
Trip to London, England, and maybe Wimbledon - $5,864
Giant RV Supercross Toy Hauler - $15,982

Showcase #2
Pulaski Edwardian Dining Group - $8,610
Noritake Fitzgerald Dinnerware - $3,125
Noritake Vendome Gold Stemware - $360
Michael C. Fina Italian Silverplate Flatware - $2,980 (Finally!  The true price!)
Dell 42" Plasma HDTV - $2,999

Modeling Report for May 16, 2006
Score to beat:  $56,952

Rachel Reynolds
Total - The fives from yesterday become sixes and vice-versa, $65,962!
Won - $46,830 (71.00%)
Lost - $19,132 (29.00%)
Record - 8-5

Lanisha Cole
Deal - $36,838
Won - $5,404 (14.67%)
Lost - $31,434 (85.33%)
Record - 3-5

Gabrielle Tuite
Actual Retail Price - $8,598, and this is the first modeling total less than $10,000 since the revision of this website!
Won - $2,746 (31.94%)
Lost - $5,852 (68.06%)
Record - 4-3

All 24 prizes today totaled $105,970!

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Currently, I live in the past.
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2006, 09:07:18 PM »
Jacob Wilkey wrote:
Michael C. Fina Italian Silverplate Flatware - $2,980

:-o

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2006, 09:22:01 PM »
Pretty good show today, Bob was great, and some good contestants overall not too shabby.

Freeze Frame: Ugh, a random piano I had no idea what it was personally.

Spelling Bee: C and A=Loss. Best I can do as far as puns go.

Take Two: Interesting prizes to say the least.

Pushover: Yay!!!!!!! I like it when the big door "quickies" are passed over for a day. Great win.

One Away: I was definitely thinking change the 4. Another nice win.

Hi-Lo: This game's on a pretty good winning streak, this was a little tougher than the last time it was played, but yet how often can you say that Pick-A-Pair was much tougher than this?? (Obviously, referring to Friday).

Anyways, the show started off a bit slow but gradually picked up steam. Can't wait till tomorrow.

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2006, 09:41:55 PM »
I know -- that guy almost grabbing on to the 4th chair of Contestants' Row was just too much.  SECURITY!!!  :D

Anyhoo, yes, this was my third experience with board member Madonna at the Bob Barker Studio.

Freeze Frame:  Blame the audience on that one.  We were all calling for what he hit, and he almost got too lazy and we had to wait for it to come all the way around.  A possible fix would be to make it mechanical to speed it up, but that's just my opinion.

Spelling Bee:  Maddy had the three prizes to win three cards, but wasn't up there.  And what WAS behind #1?

Take Two:  That one might have to be blamed on me.  Since you can't hear anything in there, I started twirling my finger to signify the globe spinning.  He had the right big prize -- just didn't get the other one.

A $1,000 SCSD winner.  :)

The poor lady at the end was lost.  She didn't even know what to bid on at some points and always seemed to have to be pointed toward her spot.

Push Over:  Finally, a winner!  And a pretty easy one too.

One Away:  Yep.  Send Maddy to the Bob Barker Studio and One Away gets played.  Hardest of all, though -- since the contestant got 4!

Hi-Lo:  Good to see an old classic in person.  Better to see it won so we get to .500.

Person in audience asks during commercial about Bob's favorite games, to which he responds at least with Hole in One.

Idiot near CR:  "Okay, Bob...  Nice and easy!"

Bob looked bemused, and would've said something if time hadn't been called to get on the break.

Another fun show, but can we please cut it out with the bleeping "I NEED A CAR!!" Pick Me shirts????

Yeah, I need money, a computer, TV, etc.  You know what?  I'm just happy to be there.  And I can go nuts, as a lot of you probably saw...  :)

Offline OldPrice75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2006, 10:25:50 PM »
Things started out pretty slow today, but they turned around in the second half.

Freeze Frame: I figured it'd be 9000ish.

2nd one bid: "G" whiz, lot's of "J"s!   :lol:

Spelling Bee: I don't know why she figured that the mop was $9 more than the lamp.

Take Two: I wouldn't have won today, but I didn't have much use for that stuff, anyway.

SCSD #1: I couldn't stop laughing after Jana's screaming with the $1.00.  :lol:

4th one bid: Yay!  Lob-Ster is back.

Was anybody else really excited to see the Lob-Ster machine today? That thing hasn't been used in months!  

Me!  :-D

That was perfect the way Bertha worded her question the second time.  :-)

One Away: Nicely done by Ivory.  I wasn't sure between the 4 and the 9.

Hi Lo: Pretty darn easy today.

Showcases: Sometimes I reply to people like in the first showcase, only I don't have the noise.  :-o

They're still having a lot of potential DSW prices.  :-D

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2006, 10:52:15 PM »
"You mean ONE-BID #2, etc. IUFB refers only to the item itself."

It's funny you say that; all of my summaries over the last 14 years refer to them as IUFBs as well.  I dunno, IUFB just sounds more comprehensive to me, even though it's not.  To each his own, though. ;)

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2006, 06:59:11 AM »
Pricing Game Length:
The time of the game begins at the moment a prize is revealed for the game, or the game itself is shown (Take Two, Hi Lo).

Freeze Frame -- 1:35
Spelling Bee -- 4:09
Take Two -- 2:57
Push Over -- 1:34
One Away -- 3:21
Hi Lo -- 2:44

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2006, 09:35:59 AM »

Joe_Capitano wrote:
You mean ONE-BID #2, etc. IUFB refers only to the item itself.

Uhhh, yeah, and I've been referring to everything from the moment that they come back to commercial until the moment the contestant walks up the steps as "IUFB #_" - as in the entire segment, not just specifically referring to the item itself or the bids.

And, that's something I've been doing for months. That's not something new... Nor am I the only one that tends to do so. :-?

SteveGavazzi wrote:
I don't know why, but I'm curious why Jana bid $39 on the cereal dispenser in Spelling Bee instead of $40.

Beats me, especially with so many people shouting "$40". Then again, I'm still puzzled over the "$19" lamp, when more than a few of us were shouting "$33!", with some $30's and $40's mixed in...

I'm impressed that Bart's actually been keeping the Big Wheel on-camera lately when people have been giving "shout-outs"...and it finally paid off today when Jana got her dollar!

Yes, that has been nice to see...

Was anybody else really excited to see the Lob-Ster machine today?  That thing hasn't been used in months! :lol:

Uhhh, yes, and no.. Sitting in the audience, I didn't know whether to laugh, or be worried about balls flying into the audience.. Gabi was an equal mix of hilarious and unnerving up there. :lol:

And speaking of the Lob-Ster machine...how in the world did Bertha not know that that's what she was supposed to be bidding on? :-P

As I said, poor Bertha seemed lost from the moment Rich called her name until the moment they did the "Contestants not appearing on stage" shot. I don't know if Bertha doesn't watch regularly or was nervous as hell, but she had no idea what was going on at all, and I was disappointed (for her sake) that she was the one who got picked from the senior group.

heelsrule1988 wrote:
I wouldn't mind sitting where you did that day. :-D

Jennifer and Bryan were both very nice people, and it was a pleasure to have spent the day hanging out with them. I wasn't directly next to them, though - a man named Robert and his wife were between myself and them, but close enough that I could converse with Bryan and Jennifer throughout the day...

Quite honestly, I'm surprised you didn't put Jennifer on your list of "hotties", even though she wasn't a contestant. :P

Unfortunately, your voice was drowned out by about 300 dumb audience members. :-(

I don't know if quite that many were shouting to him to change something besides the 4, but there were some, yes.. We had a few shouting to change the 9, and I even heard a few shouting to change the 8 to a 6.. Fortunately, those of us shouting to change the 4 to a 2 must've caught Ivory's attention.

starcade wrote:
I know -- that guy almost grabbing on to the 4th chair of Contestants' Row was just too much.  SECURITY!!!  :D

I loved that shot of you, on your feet, waving your arms as Joel played Pushover - almost as if they thought you were part of Joel's group or something (as that almost seems to be the only way to get a shot of the audience during a pricing game anymore)... Haha..

Freeze Frame:  Blame the audience on that one.  We were all calling for what he hit, and he almost got too lazy and we had to wait for it to come all the way around.  A possible fix would be to make it mechanical to speed it up, but that's just my opinion.

If pricing games were won by majority vote (and thank goodness they aren't, because it'd do more harm than good in the long run), that would've been a win. A great number of us thought $7,930. D'OH! on us.

Spelling Bee:  Maddy had the three prizes to win three cards, but wasn't up there.  And what WAS behind #1?

And, for the record, I teased Starcade here for screaming for Jana to pick card #1. After all, we have no idea what's behind those cards in the audience anymore so than we do sitting at home. My belief on Spelling Bee has always been just to pick numbers you like (which for me would be 3, 8, 9, 13, etc...).

A shame Jana didn't listen to those of us up front shouting "$33!!". She wouldn't have had to have bothered with the last two prizes, and I'll always wonder if a fifth card would've made a difference.  :-?

Take Two:  That one might have to be blamed on me.  Since you can't hear anything in there, I started twirling my finger to signify the globe spinning.  He had the right big prize -- just didn't get the other one.

Me, you, and quite a few others...  :-?

One Away:  Yep.  Send Maddy to the Bob Barker Studio and One Away gets played.  Hardest of all, though -- since the contestant got 4!

Which means maybe now is a good time to start placing your One Away bets for the season 35 premiere?  :lol:

Person in audience asks during commercial about Bob's favorite games, to which he responds at least with Hole in One.

Idiot near CR:  "Okay, Bob...  Nice and easy!"

Yes, he said Hole In One is his favorite, when he's making his putts.  :lol:  And for those of you keeping score at home, he's on a streak of three straight made putts. :)

Bob looked bemused, and would've said something if time hadn't been called to get on the break.

Perhaps a certain line from Happy Gilmore?  :lol:

Another fun show, but can we please cut it out with the bleeping "I NEED A CAR!!" Pick Me shirts????

"I've never had a contestant who doesn't need a new car, or need money." - Bob

temptation1979ga wrote:
It's funny you say that; all of my summaries over the last 14 years refer to them as IUFBs as well.  I dunno, IUFB just sounds more comprehensive to me, even though it's not.  To each his own, though. ;)

And Maddy thanks you...
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2006, 12:17:36 PM »
Whoa! Most. Quotes. Ever. :-o

About Jennifer- for my purposes, I only pick contestants as hotties. Although if she had been called down, believe me, she would've gotten a screencap and a smiley. :-D

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2006, 12:27:20 PM »
Madonna/Starcade:

After Bob gave Gabi one last chance to hit a tennis ball before the bidding began, the camera cut back to Bob, and a moment later, the audience and Rich started laughing. Did something funny happen after Gabi hit that last ball?
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2006, 01:53:18 PM »
Just do as you like, Maddy.  While the round of contestants' row bidding may technically be called the one bid, most people just don't call it that--it's rarely, if ever, even mentioned on the show.  I usually just call them rounds of bidding, myself.

And technically, you weren't wrong, anyway, since you only used IUFB for a heading, as opposed to calling the bidding itself the item up for bids.

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2006, 10:21:58 AM »

heelsrule1988 wrote:
Whoa! Most. Quotes. Ever. :-o

Another record? Woo hoo! I must live up to my name... :P

About Jennifer- for my purposes, I only pick contestants as hotties. Although if she had been called down, believe me, she would've gotten a screencap and a smiley. :-D

I know. I was teasing, especially since you obviously found her so attractive... And it's not too often anymore that we see a potential Heels Hottie in the audience who's name is given, either...

MSTieScott wrote:
Madonna/Starcade:

After Bob gave Gabi one last chance to hit a tennis ball before the bidding began, the camera cut back to Bob, and a moment later, the audience and Rich started laughing. Did something funny happen after Gabi hit that last ball?

No, it was just all of us laughing at Bob saying "Let's hear it for Gabi!" (and, honestly, the whole demonstration in general), then more laughing (though Rich didn't join in that time) when Bob said "Now, I'm going to turn my head. Please stop!"

Rich seems to be loosening up and having a lot more fun lately - as we've seen not only with him laughing out loud during the kayak/drain opener IUFB recently, but as Starcade and I saw during the taping. One of the first things Rich said to us that afternoon was "I hope you're all been drinking, because the entire staff is drunk today!" :lol:

I'm glad, personally.. What finally converted me when it came to Rich (who was held to those unfairly high standards of "YOU'RE NOT JOHNNY!" for eighteen months) was seeing how much fun he had during the warmups...

Frank15 wrote:
Just do as you like, Maddy.  While the round of contestants' row bidding may technically be called the one bid, most people just don't call it that--it's rarely, if ever, even mentioned on the show.  I usually just call them rounds of bidding, myself.

And technically, you weren't wrong, anyway, since you only used IUFB for a heading, as opposed to calling the bidding itself the item up for bids.

Thanks, Frank... I have just been using IUFB as the generic term for the entire segment since day one for a few reasons, including:

1. Not everyone who comes here and reads is a LFAT (most, yes, but not all), and therefore may not know what a "one-Bid" is.

2. I did for a while refer to any banter BEFORE Rich described what was up for bids as "Pre-IUFB", but didn't like the look of it..

3. Old habits die hard. Just as it's the Tyler Mall to me, and not the "Galleria At Tyler", I never even HEARD the term "One-Bid" until I'd been watching for 20 years.

:-?
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2006, 11:49:45 AM »
I forgot this yesterday -- Nice to see Vanessa and Tiffany got their names mentioned in a showcase.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.